Notices

Gaslight Investigations (4e mod - Victorian Horror/Detective)

Old Sep 6 '10, 9:56pm
GM Agnostic

Gaslight Investigations (4e mod - Victorian Horror/Detective)

Gaslight Investigations - Forum
Fate/Fudge
Ad Closes: Sep 20 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 5

I will review the applications and the applicants’ user stats on mythweavers. I may have some follow-up questions for some applicants. After all of that, I’ll pick the players, notify them, and we’ll move into the game forum to get characters, backgrounds, and the plot-structure developed.

Thanks everyone!

Game Description:

Game Concepts
This is a Horror/Detective game set in Victorian London (1880's).

The world looks and feels like the historical era. The key difference is that supernatural/magical elements can be involved, although they generally remain in the hands of the GM. The PCs are on their own, using legends, etc to aid them. The PCs will have only their wits and skills to defeat these threats and, even when a little supernatural/magic is given to them, its use is likely limited to the outcome of the current adventure. Supernatural/magical enemies will not be the only enemies. Horror can also apply to deviant actions by normal people (i.e. Jack the Ripper).

At the onset of the game, the characters have been brought together in an ad-hoc investigative group. This group is the brain child of a Dr. Anton Arnheim; a preeminent alienist and subject matter expert for Scotland Yard (officially known as the "Criminal Investigations Division"). Their regular inspectors, inadequate to deal with the more macabre incidents London is subject to, have turned to Dr. Arnheim's group, which has been granted official status, with each of its members given papers that identify them as "Consultants" of the Metropolitan Police Force's (MPF) Criminal Investigations Division (CID).

So you can get a feel for where I'm coming from here are some of the stories that have informed my thinking on this game:

The movie “From Hell”
The book “The Alienist” (* excellent read!)
The TV series’: X-Files, Crime Scene Investigation (CSI)
Anything from Lovecraft

Last edited by Omnis; Sep 16 '10 at 6:18pm..
What level did you plan on having the characters start off at? I understand that's a big roll-player type question but I'm sorry, low level characters are not fun to play. Level 1-5 characters are not master snipers, generals, Dick Tracy, or Batman. I'd say a level 1 character is a middle-school student or maybe a freshman in High School. This is even bigger a distinction when you speak of 4e and how it has 30 levels instead of 20. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the roleplaying aspect more than mechanical awesomeness but how can you play a doctor if you fail almost every roll sent your way.

I like the idea of a Victorian style game but I wonder about money, what all are we going to do with the amounts of money we'll have since magical items were the only thing you saved up for. Can we invest in businesses like a tavern or shipping company or maybe buy a boat? Also, how far from reality would the game be getting at, you mentioned occult so I can only wonder. Would it give too much away by talking about it?

How is the medical aspect going to be handled? Since there isn't any magical healing by the PC's wounds are that much more deadly.

Lot of questions I know but I find the concept very interesting.

Aw sweet another 4e Victorian game is out. Let's see what I can brew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinBrother View Post
What level did you plan on having the characters start off at? I understand that's a big roll-player type question but I'm sorry, low level characters are not fun to play. Level 1-5 characters are not master snipers, generals, Dick Tracy, or Batman. I'd say a level 1 character is a middle-school student or maybe a freshman in High School. This is even bigger a distinction when you speak of 4e and how it has 30 levels instead of 20. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the roleplaying aspect more than mechanical awesomeness but how can you play a doctor if you fail almost every roll sent your way.

I like the idea of a Victorian style game but I wonder about money, what all are we going to do with the amounts of money we'll have since magical items were the only thing you saved up for. Can we invest in businesses like a tavern or shipping company or maybe buy a boat? Also, how far from reality would the game be getting at, you mentioned occult so I can only wonder. Would it give too much away by talking about it?

How is the medical aspect going to be handled? Since there isn't any magical healing by the PC's wounds are that much more deadly.

Lot of questions I know but I find the concept very interesting.
I don't mind the "roll-playing" questions.

- I plan on starting the characters out at 1st level.

- My opinion on how powerful the characters are is the "ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances" type of thing. Not so much the normal 4e idea that adventurers are better than almost all the "common folk" right out of the gate.

- I intend to scale the amount of $ I give out...although I'm sure we can find ways of spending it.

- As to failing every roll...I hope to use Skill Challenges, so complete failure by individual rolls should be less of an issue.

- As to healing without the cleric. I think it is going to be a more dangerous game...mechanically speaking, and I imagine doctors will have to rely on other established methods in the 4e rules (healing checks, etc...).

- How far from reality? I'd say that if the game lasts long enough we'll get to Lovecraft levels, but I hope most of it is grounded in the gritty London of the 1880's.

I hope that helps you. I know you know, but I'll just state again...the focus is on the role-playing not on the mechanics so much. I don't want someone thinking, "well I can't try that because there's not a mechanic for it". We'll figure it out.

Thanks for the answers but I don't think I'll be applying. Good luck with the game, has a pretty cool concept to it, hopefully we see more Victorian games pop up.

I'm very interested in this. I'll fill out the questionnaire here, but would you prefer the rest of the application in this thread or in the game forum? Apologies in advance, it'll take me a few days to be able to get to that part, as I'm moving back into my university residence on this Wednesday.

1. Can you adequately access www.gliffy.com? Yep, it works fine.

2. Do you have access to the D&D Character Builder software? Yes.

3. What is your experience level with 4e? Have you been a player or a DM (or both)? I've played 4e since it came out, in various PbP, online and RL games. I was a DM once (and will hopefully be starting up a campaign again soon with some friends), but the first time came to an abrupt halt after a PvP fight.

4. How familiar are you with the Victorian age (either historically or through fiction)? Not terribly familiar, but I'm always willing to learn

5. Have you ever played in a Victorian/Gaslight campaign setting before? If so, as a player or DM? What game system was used? This would be my first.

6. What do you expect from a game set in the Victorian Horror/Detective genre? From the setting you've provided, I'd expect a lot of grit, a lot of unexpected twists and turns that make each player wondering who the villain REALLY is, and a lot of moral ambiguity.

Character Concept:

Name: Robert Gideon Henley

4e Character Class: Ranger (Marauder from Martial Power 2)

Social Status & Lifestyle: Middle class. 32, widowed (name was Phoebe) with no children (I'm thinking cholera?), now lives in a flat by himself.

Occupations: Reporter

Knowledge of the Occult: As a reporter, what he's seen of the occult has only filled the gossip columns and the pages reserved for the few madmen powerful or well-known enough to have their stories written up, but which have ultimately been no more than unsubstantiated fiction, so he dismisses all 'happenings' as such.

Character Arcs and Regression: For the iconic character, I'm thinking of something along the lines of Lois Lane. Though with noticeably less 'damsel-in-distress' situations. Also less cleavage.

Right now though, Robert is deeply troubled from the loss of his wife, sometimes to the point of missing important details in reporting, or even deadlines. He WAS a good reporter at one point, which is why the paper he'd work for would keep him around, but what I'd like to see in terms of character development is moving past the survivor's guilt in order for him to get back to where he was.

Writing sample:

It was the same every night. Running, running, always running down the same dimly lit street. Past the crowds and the shops and the houses until he reached a door. His door. Even knowing what was behind it already, he still hoped for some impossible miracle. That somehow, this time, it would be different when that door was opened. Reaching for the knob, it opened easily, inviting him in as if this was just another ordinary day. But there was the doctor, hanging his head and shaking it as if to offer consolation. There was her hand, her tiny, delicate hand hanging limply from beneath the sheet that was covering her.

His knees went limp. An eternity later, he found himself falling to the floor, mouth open, but no sound produced. Eyes wide, yet not comprehending the scene in front of him. And then a scream, so hoarse with grief and rage that he barely recognized his own voice.

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Waking suddenly, sweat covering his body, Robert sits up in bed.

"Always the same.... always the bloody same.... why? Why did it have to be HER?!"

Kicking off the covers, he walks to the window, opening the blinds. Silhouetted against the rising sun, he leans against the glass, looking out over the streets of London.

Five years.... and I still don't know how to go on without you, my darling Phoebe. Too soon.... too soon.... we were going to be perfect... and now........

Slipping down to the floor, his head buried deep in his arms, he starts sobbing once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpiper View Post
I'm very interested in this. I'll fill out the questionnaire here, but would you prefer the rest of the application in this thread or in the game forum? Apologies in advance, it'll take me a few days to be able to get to that part, as I'm moving back into my university residence on this Wednesday..
This app thread will be open at least through next weekend, so go ahead and take your time and just edit your original post and finish up the application with the character concept and writing sample.

Thanks for the interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinBrother View Post
Thanks for the answers but I don't think I'll be applying. Good luck with the game, has a pretty cool concept to it, hopefully we see more Victorian games pop up.
No problem YinBrother, thanks for taking asking them.

The setting and the homebrew rules are very interesting and creative.

Intriguing... I love historical RPing and using the D&D 4e skeleton to give it consistency sounds like a very good idea... definitely interested! (character application in progress)