Notices


Erol's Trials

 
Erol's Trials

You must tell me everything! Are you running/walking? Are you keeping an eye out? ...give me a perception check every post! Make ALL checks that you think might be relevant!

You can see clearly in the dim light, but no source of light is evident in the cool stone corridor. The corridor is not square, but winding, and the walls seem to get rougher the further you travel. The twisting passageways prevent you from seeing far ahead. No sign of those who went before are evident.

Soon enough, the passage branches in two different directions.

In the past I've presumed that crossbow bolts are made of wood, like arrows. Although, while typing up my post, it dawned on me that you may assume they're made of another substance. Below is an addition to Erol's action if they're wooden, or it can be ignored if they're non-flammable.

If bolts are made of wood:
Erol takes out a single bolt from his jacket, along with the flint and steel. He uses the set to light the bolt on fire as an improvised torch and uses it to aid him in his search of the corridor and branching paths at the end of it.
OOC Concern

As Erol enters the corridor he is immediately changes his pace, continuing to walk but going
stealth:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 23)
slower so he can
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 10 (Total = 16)
take in his surroundings. His feet slide around the floor - never picking them up, feeling for abnormalities. Also at work are his hands gliding across the walls for anything that would seem
knowledge of dungeoneering:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 14 (Total = 15)
unusual to him.

Upon coming to the branching path he crouches down and
survival:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 14 (Total = 21)
looks closely at as much as he can see. He wonders if perhaps there is a noticeable difference between the paths based on past experience with exploration, maybe even
knowledge of nature:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 6)
natural additions from poor up keep to the place such as plants growing through or moss that could aid him.

The bolts are indeed flammable.

Above the branch, you spot faint words scratched into the ceiling. The letters are written in common... but it just seems to be gibberish.

Looking to the ground, you see that faint tracks lead off in both directions. The heaviest wear seems to be towards the right hand passage.

Letters on the ceiling catch Erol's attention, drawing ups gaze upwards. He looks at them trying to discern meaning, but doesn't seem to be able to. Instead he tries to
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 15 (Total = 21)
memorize what is written, believing that it could be useful later on. It dawns on him it may have a connection to the inscription on the bracelet. Holding his left wrist up to the scratches, Erol tries to
use magical device:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 17)
activiate it
spellcraft:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 5)
any way he can - not all that adept with the magic arts. Whether or not he succeeds he now tries to figure out which path to choose. His searching turns up a more heavily traveled right path.

"It seems the right passage has had more travel recently. If I recall correctly, three others came before me and only one selected a torch. Human instinct seems to dictate going right unless there is a reason to go left...thus is the direction I will go."

Once again he
stealth:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 11)
moves onward, down the left side of the branch. He
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 12 (Total = 18)
perceives his surroundings with the bolt torch out in front of him. His remaining free hand and both feet drag along as before, keeping his senses honed on
survival:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 20 (Total = 27)
traps or more
knowledge of dungeoneering:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 19)
out-of-place things like the ceiling etching.

After several minutes of slow shuffling down the corridor, you come upon a second branching of the ways. This time there are three passageways to choose from. Erol's sharp eye picks out an arrow scratched into the rock, pointing towards the center-most passage.

The new selection of branching corridors prompts Erol to stop yet again and look around. Seeing the carved arrow encourages him yet makes him hesitant. It is a great clue to the perceptive - or a cunning, hidden red herring. There is no reason to disbelieve the markers yet though, so he surmises it best to go down the middle path.

Before doing so, he
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 12 (Total = 18)
checks the ceiling one last time just to make sure if anything is there or not like last time. He takes out his crowbar and
attack roll (+4 melee and -4 improvised negate a bonus/penalty):
Dice Roll:
1d20
d20 Results: 7
swings it into the floor where the arrow scratching is,
damage:
Dice Roll:
1d6
d6 Results: 6
smashing the sharp end against it. If the path leads him in a circle to return here he should recognize the damage and at the very least impede the progress of those to come after him.

When he finishes up his business in the room he continues his routine down the middle passageway.
stealth:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 6 (Total = 13)
taking his time,
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 10)
looking around, and
knowledge of dungeoneering:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 10 (Total = 11)
feeling out the area for things of
survival:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 2 (Total = 9)
suspicious nature. Not satisfied with his investigation of natural elements earlier, he
knowledge of nature:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 10)
tries again now that he is some distance away from the beginning.

OOC: Oh that was nasty! ...but clever.

There is nothing of the natural along these passages, except for stone walls that become progressively rougher, and less touched by a workman's tool. Nothing seems (especially) out of the ordinary.


Erol makes his way slowly to a third branching of the passageways, with three passages leading off in different directions. This time, there are no markings to guide you, and the floor is bare of all traces.

Like both times before, Erol seeks for any clue to lead him the right way, though he finds nothing to guide him. He is intrigued as to why there is less evidence of craftsmanship the further he moves into the labyrinth.

"On the surface it seems I must make a gamble here. Assuming I've made the right choice two times already, maybe they hope I will logically conclude that I should go right because I've already gone left and straight. Though that might be too instinctive and I already ignored my instincts to get this far. I have become too accustomed to navigating wilderness. I pray on Aroden's grave that I don't fail when I'm only at the second trial."

He strokes his beard with thumb and index finger, in deep thought. Taking the rope off his body, he ties one end of it around the flaming bolt currently being used as a torch. First, he throws it down the left passage and
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 10 (Total = 16)
looks down it. Reeling the rope back in, he repeats the process with the
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 6 (Total = 12)
middle and
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 7)
right passages.

Throw rolls:
strength check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3
d20 Results: 13 (Total = 16)
left |
strength check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3
d20 Results: 17 (Total = 20)
middle |
strength check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3
d20 Results: 9 (Total = 12)
right

Ah, thought you went right in the first branching... could you be a little more clear in the future... I'll try to do the same!

The arrow plinks against the walls each time. The corridors are illuminated well-enough, but wind and twist, obscuring any sight beyond 30 feet.

I did say,

"Human instinct seems to dictate going right unless there is a reason to go left...thus is the direction I will go."

Once again he moves onward, down the left side of the branch.


because I thought his speech was a bit vague. I guess it didn't matter anyway! Hah. That's what I get for including characterization that doesn't really matter. My apologies. I'm sure the flavor text is probably more of a bother, having to keep up with everybody's trial thread.
OOC

Erol pulls his rope back in for the final time, unties it and wraps it around his body again while holding the bolt torch. He decides to go own the left corridor. As always he takes it
stealth:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 17 (Total = 24)
slow, remains
perception:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 22)
aware of his surroundings, and feels around for
knowledge of dungeoneering:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1
d20 Results: 17 (Total = 18)
anything worth
survival:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 6 (Total = 13)
noting.




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us