Mess Tent

Findy MacLean

"I wonder if there's a way to get that sensor package we sent up to the Hammond over to the other site-- like another set of rings. It would provide far more in the way of detail than a 302 flyover would. Do we have much data on what's at the other site?"

Major Thorsson

"Aside from the data from the original scans, most of what we've got came from the Mark One Eyeball," Eileen says, sounding apologetic. "And that can be best described as 'jungle, all the way down'."

Bethany considers the situation for a moment. "Maybe the jungle has grown up around the gate?" she suggests. "That could make it hard to find without advanced sensors or an exhaustive search..."

Findy MacLean

"Or a kawoosh. I expect that'd clear the jungle enough to make it easy to pick up. It seems we might be back to the suggestion of turning it on from here and seeing if the planet explodes."

Major Thorsson

"...I hadn't even considered that," Eileen admits as Findy mentions the likely effects of the unstable vortex. "Given the fact the planet is still here, I think we can assume it's not going to explode...although I do want assurances that we at least have an idea how to kill the power if need be."

Captain Sarah Morgan

Sarah comes staggering into the Mess Tent and grabs a mug of coffee and sits down at a table at the periphery of the room. She stares at the mug tiredly, as if trying to decide something. The morning's caffeine worn off and the the afternoon's adrenaline gone, Sarah looks just shy of haggard. She lies her head down on her arm at the table and continues to stare at the mug. She knew she needed the sludge to keep her awake, but she wasn't at all certain she wanted to be awake. She knew she needed to rest. But she also knew that no one else was resting. Pulling all-nighters for data was one thing. Pulling all-nighters when it was a matter of survival was totally something different, and she was wondering how much longer anyone was going to last like this.

Captain Micheal Wantanabe

From out side the door some one's coat could be heard being patted down. After some stomping of boots, the army captain walks into the mess hall.

"Have I missed any thing?" He asks getting a cup of coffie himself.

Findy MacLean

Findy shrugs, looking at the major through her sunglasses. "Couldn't tell you, major. Today's the first time I've taken a look at the stones. The team I'm on has been working on survival-related tasks, not getting-us-off-this-rock tasks. I'm sure we can work on it if you want, but that'd mean forestalling any shipbuilding or survivor-moving work. Which do you consider the priority?"

Captain Sarah Morgan

"In light of the autopsy we just performed," the red-headed nurse tiredly comments, "I'd suggest getting off this rock. I would bet any naturopath back home would think this planet is a treasure trove, but frankly the fauna in this neck of the woods don't play nice."

Major Thorsson

"I'd have to agree. No point in shipbuilding unless we know the Gate works." Eileen sighs, and also nods to the arriving Captain Wantanabe. "The others can fill you in."