Notices

FR - Desert of Desolation

Old Dec 21 '10, 4:00pm
Great Wyrm

FR - Desert of Desolation

FR - Desert of Desolation - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

IntroDeep blue mists of the night swirl over the sands of Raurin, the incomparable Desert of Dust. As the cool night air drains the heat from the sand, you and your friends huddle around your campfire, glancing nervously at the giant pyramid in the distance.

Gradually, the winds change direction, bearing a thin streak of white mist toward you from the pyramid. It swirls and takes shape as a faceless man dressed in ancient robes and an ornate head-piece; moonlight shining through his ghostly body and robes, he lifts his arms toward the pyramid and speaks. It was magic that conveyed you all to Braila, and an ancient map that guided you through the pass in The Dustwall. But it was, after all, the tales that finally brought you to this place - tales of endless wealth, of spirit-guarded pyramids, of crystalline obelisks, of gemstones with mysterious properties.

Now, as the haunted voice of the spectre before you begins his tale, you wonder if the treasure and the quest are worth the price...perhaps your very lives. Are you really the heroes of the prophecies, those who will overcome the foretold tests, and those for whom the treasure awaits? It is time to search your hearts before you venture further into the Desert of Desolation

DM: I've been on Myth-Weavers for almost two years without any long unexplained absences. I've played D&D since the early 80s and have DMed all four editions. The Desert of Desolation was always one of my favorites from 1st edition, originally written my Tracy & Laura Hickman I am adapting the 2nd edition version edited by John Wheeler for my tabletop game and thought running here will help me keep on task.

Setting:This is a 3.5 Forgotten Realms adventure. Players will begin in Cormyr near Tilverton. The year is roughly 1374, Bane has returned, Cyric is quite mad, Kelemvor now judges the dead and Mystra is secure in her control of the weave. Due to the closing of several portals the elves have established a foothold in Myth Drannor and Shar has suffered a temporary defeat in Sembia, though their capital city is lost. Shades control Anauroch, and Thay is currently at war while Szass Tam makes a bid for power.

Applications: Instructions are in the various threads
Roll stats here
Post characters here

Posting Rate: I am looking for people that can post daily during the week, weekends maybe once. Even though I am old and married I also have a life and understand that RL happens. Just please don't let it happen to much because I don't need another game that dies. That being said, if a player becomes a problem I will replace him. I will also try to move along combat so that people aren't stuck waiting four days for their turn.

Backgrounds:Since I'm going with an already established group there is a thread for anyone who wants to work on joint background. Feel free to be as creative as you want. It is not manditory that you do so and I may take one person from joint background and not the other. Its just another way to work on who your character is and how he interacts with others. Feel free to create new threads there if you need to keep things organized.

Applications accepted thru 9JAN2011. With the holiday slow down I want to give people a chance to see this game, but I don't want to drag out the application process too long and have people loose interest before we have had a chance to start.

Last edited by Goblyn; Dec 23 '10 at 2:37pm..
Bedine just refers to the nomads of Anauroch. I would be doing the Sandstorm Druid variant if that is ok.
Lion of Talisid is from Book of Exalted Deeds. The exalted feats I was looking at were Nymph's Kiss, Favored of the Companions, and (in the future) Exalted Wild Shape and Exalted Companion.
If you'd prefer not to use exalted material, would draconic wild shape (from Draconomicon) be ok for down the line?

I haven't found to much that I'm against in exalted deeds. I let my son run a monk with vow of poverty through an Age of Worms campaign became a bit much at higher levels, that was the same game I learned to never allow another Master of Many Forms into a game also.

Again the game does not start in a desert location but quickly moves there. I would just have to introduce your character a week or so after the start of the adventure.

Ok, sounds good.

As an aside, I think it would not be too hard to find a reason why a desert-oriented character might be in a non-desert location to start with the others. Caravan duties, visiting friends or family, purchasing supplies, tracking down enemies, etc., etc.

If you can work it into your backstory and such then by all means go for it.

I was just hoping to avoid 6 desert dwellers roaming Cormyr just before being magically teleported to a desert that they are conveniently well prepared for. That was originally why I was going to keep what the module was a secret but again was afraid of having a large number of players be very familiar with it.

Will you allow the Paladin of Freedom variant, and if so would you allow the Ashworm to keep its stinger and remain the paladin mount?

Paladin and wizard variants from UA are acceptable

Just finished reading the dragoon and with proper story it would be a character introduced when the party relocates to the desert setting. While part of the adventure is meant to involve non-desert people having to adapt to the their new surroundings most of the desert encounters are designed to be random encounters while traveling between major locations and I tend to use those only when the party needs a few more xp to be proper level for the next area. A large portion of the adventure takes place in town or in dungeon crawls where riding a scaled down version of an Arrakis sandworm would be of little use. The paladin's mount could keep its stinger if it were the paladin's special mount and he was following a god that would justify it. Since it is for a paladin of freedom maybe rewriting the Consecration of Shifting Sands to change the poison to a paralytic may make for a better option though.

Definitely very interested in this game. However, I know little to nothing about FR. Would this be a problem?

No real knowledge of the Realms required, the only exception would be if you are choosing a divine caster you would need to pick a member of one of the FR pantheon.

Character Generation is done, just have to come up with a back story. Haven't achieved War wizard class yet but I'll work into it in my backstory and rp. As long as our characters have time between adventuring I could see it making sense but other wise not sure. What do you think DM? Would there be time for me to be incorporated into the war wizards and such or?