Munchkin!

Old Jan 7 '11, 5:38am
Wyrm

Munchkin!

Munchkin - Forum
Miscellaneous
Estimated Members Requested: 6

My brother-in-law introduced me to Steve Jackson Games' card game Munchkin over the holidays and I got a deck. Having few potential opponents here other than the kids, this will be an attempt to adapt the game to play-by-post. Check out the game forum and/or ask questions to get an idea of what I have in mind. We'll just be using the basic deck, at least for the first game.

Looking for 3 to 6 players. I won't play but will instead take the role of Referee, handling the decks and adjudicating where necessary. Hopefully we'll play more than one game and can rotate the Referee position so, while experience isn't strictly necessary, it would be nice to have at least a few folks with experience (and decks!).

Acceptance will be on a rolling basis, not first-come-first-serve but I probably won't be too picky. If I get swamped by applications I'll begin applying criteria such as experience, seeming reliability and a palpable, if indefinable, aura of Munchkinism.

Game Description:

Go down in the dungeon. Kill everything you meet. Backstab your friends and steal their stuff. Grab the treasure and run.

Admit it. You love it.

Munchkin captures the dungeon experience... with none of that stupid role-playing stuff. All you have to do is kill monsters and grab magic items. Don the Horny Helmet and the Boots of Butt-Kicking. Wield the Staff of Napalm... or maybe the Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment. Start by slaughtering the Potted Plant and the Drooling Slime and work your way up to the Plutonium Dragon!

This will be an adaptation of Steve Jackson Games' card game Munchkin to play-by-post.

Last edited by Chevalier; Jan 10 '11 at 1:35am..
No offense, but having played a ton of munchkin (and owning several boxed sets), you'll be missing about 95% of the fun, which is comprised mostly of watching your opponent's faces and hearing their war cries or pleas. Oh, and of course, the fact that the game is intended to be total chaos, which cannot happen in PbP.

I wish you best of luck, but I had to warn you. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

No worries, the tendency may be to agree with your opinion -- lots of views but you're the first to post anything. It's possible I should've taken this through planning first....

It'll obviously be different but I think it could work, especially if we don't take it as a straight strategy game and are willing to ham it up a bit.

Thanks for the 'backhanded' well wishes and the attendant bump. And the chance to provide another without looking totally lame....

I'll take a crack at it, I can see how this may not be the best way to play, but when you don't have anyone to play with in person you take what you can get.

This sounds fun. Sure, it will be weird, but I'm game.

Like Munchkin a lot and have the same problem, nobody to play with.

Removed by mod. Offsite Advertising/Gaming is explicitly against the rules.

well.. there is d20 MUNCHKIN game system.. that captures EVERY aspect of MUNCHKINISM!...

I do appreciate folks' attempts to help and may look into a couple of those mentioned. Like I said, perhaps I should have started this in Game Planning first.

But, since I didn't, I believe we're veering into the realm of violating the Game Ads rules with this discussion and, by said rules, I am supposed to remind you of this by 'gentle request'.

For anyone who's interested, I'm still willing to give this a try. I was involved in an Illuminati pbp card game a while ago that worked pretty well, some of my adaptation rules and set-up are based on it, I think this could.

For folks wanting to discuss better options perhaps a PM or a thread in the Gaming Discussion area would be more appropriate.

Thanks.

And, brickAbrack and Liliedhe, don't want you to think I've missed or forgotten you. Thank you for your interest and willingness to give this a try! If we can find at least one (preferably two or three) brave souls, we'll make the experiment.