Here and There needs a few new players

Old Jan 22 '11, 9:43pm
Great Wyrm

Here and There needs a few new players

Here and There - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: Feb 15 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Here and There is a pretty straightforward dungeon delve style game. The twist is that the current crop of PCs are from a high-tech high-fantasy world and are exploring a stone and brick tower owned by the International Intellimotion Corp. The tower is infested with the reanimated remains of some sort of lizard race. The players are racing to the top of the tower to destroy a "generator" that is letting the unholy undead through into this world. Meanwhile, something strange is happening in the tower.

The game will take some twists and turns from there (new settings and new monsters), but it will retain a rather straightforward D&D 4e combat-focused style.

Desired characters A total of 4 characters are desired. The party needs a defender and a leader and I will be considering up to two additional wild-card characters of any role.

Characters can be from a "traditional D&D" world (without any high-tech flavor), or if you like the high tech world you can certainly submit a character that fits in at the Chao'Nil Tech Festival or Intellimotion Corp. I'll work with the players to weave either kind of PC into the game.

Character submission guidelines DND 4e characters generated using 22 pt buy (any of the PHB methods). Advance them to 2nd level, give them one magic item of level 1-3, 100 gold pieces for mundane equipment. Any of the standard races and classes are acceptable. That includes all the published books (with the exception of the Dragon Annual). Monster races, Dragon Magazine and playtest material may be accepted, ask in the recruiting discussion thread. Select a background benefit as per the PHB2. No Dark Sun themes (the stuff in chapter 3 of the DS campaign book).

D&D Essentials characters are acceptable. Same gold and magic item restrictions as above.

Refluffing of powers and races is not only allowed but encouraged.

Application should include:

1. A link to a fully populated Myth-Weavers character sheet and the characters stat block.
2. A brief background and history of the character.
3. A description of the characters personality, mannerisms, and appearance.

Please arrange, as is the style here on myth-weavers, for the stat block to color-code or otherwise designate your at-will, encounter, daily, and item powers.

Applications should be posted to the Recruiting: Applications thread in the game forum itself. Discussion and questions about the game and application process can go in the thread here or in the Recruiting: Discussion thread.

Selection Criteria I'm looking for fun character concepts and solid writing skills. I may also look at your posting history here on myth-weavers.

Game Pace I'd like players who can post every couple of days. Ideally we'd each post once a day, but I find that real life keeps us from that pace. PbP is a marathon not a sprint. Real life is understood to take precedent over game play for all the players.

It might be worth noting that I'm in this for the long haul. I'm DMing three games. One of which has been running for over two years. I've been DMing Here and There for less time -- but, barring a change in life circumstances, my intention is to stick with it.

House Rules I'm using a few house rules, most significantly a wound rule that can be invoked at a players option to trade off a large number of hit points for a smaller number of hit points and a hard to shake wound. See the House Rules thread on the forum for details.

Submission Deadline applications will close on Feb 15th at 12:00 noon EDT. Character selected will be announced shortly thereafter.

Game Description:

Here and There is (currently) a dungeon delve style game. The current crop of PCs are from a high-tech high-fantasy world and are exploring a stone and brick tower owned by the international Intellimotion Corp. The tower is infested with the reanimated remains of some sort of lizard race. The players are racing to the top of the tower to destroy a "generator" that is letting the undead through into this world.

The game may take some twists and turns from there.

This game was originally started by Eaglewing and I was asked by the current players to step up as a replacement DM.

Last edited by Orrin; Feb 10 '11 at 7:56pm..
Can you describe the setting or premise of the game? I'd like to know what I'm applying for.

Tomalak,

Well, you can read the description above:

Quote:
Here and There is (currently) a dungeon delve style game. The current crop of PCs are from a high-tech high-fantasy world and are exploring a stone and brick tower owned by the international Intellimotion Corp. The tower is infested with the reanimated remains of some sort of lizard race. The players are racing to the top of the tower to destroy a "generator" that is letting the undead through into this world.

The game may take some twists and turns from there.
Or you can read the forum:

Original threads:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=62322
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=66650

When I took over:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=78198

As I mention above
Quote:
Characters should be from a "traditional D&D" world (no high tech flavor). I'll work with the PCs to weave them into the game.
-Orrin

I revised the game criteria slightly.

If anyone is looking to try out any of the new D&D Essentials builds this game would be a great place to do so.

I'm also ok if anyone wants to try to submit a high-tech origin character. I was trying to simplify things by encouraging folks to apply with traditional D&D concepts, but there's no compelling story reason to make that a requirement. If you want to refluff go for it. Just as a perfect example of what I mean check out Mikeloop86's former PC Ghor El Mk II. It was creative and cool. If you have something like that in mind I'd love to see it.

I was toying with many ideas today, perhaps time has come to chime in? So hello!

One of my options would be to play a
spell weaver. Quoting from Monster Manual II, 3.5 ed. "These creatures are enigmatic in the extreme. Outside the fact that they covet magic items, little is known about them. Most encounters with spell weavers occur when they attempt to purloin magic items from other creature".
As the pic shows "a spell weaver is a scrawny, hairless, six-armed creature about 5 feet tall. It is humanoid in shape, with a a vaguely birdlike face and large, dark eyes. A long neck allows it to twist and turn its face in any direction".
The rest should be adapted a little, to be party friendly, but that would be just "erasing" a couple details.
Speaking of adaptation or refluffling, because of the 6 armed thing, I was thinking of making it a Thri-Kreen, mechanically. Of course the race screams Artificer. It doesn't go well with Thri-Kreen racial bonus, but not all can be perfect!

What do you think? Should I stay or should I go?

Sounds like an interesting character concept. I'd say lets try to build it.

As you say, stat it up as thri-kreen and perhaps we can adapt the things a little bit to fit the spellweaver race a bit better.

Stay!

With the high tech option, would a character built using the 3rd party Amethyst books be allowed?

I'm not familiar with the Amethyst books.

I'd like to stick to the classes, races and powers in the standard D&D 4e books. Refluffing is no big deal, but with the pretty significant range of character options and with my house rules we've already got a _lot_ of possibilities to work from.

-Orrin