Blight

Old Apr 14 '11, 5:43am
Young Adult Dragon

Blight

Blight - Forum
Homebrew
Ad Closes: May 1 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 3

Guys, thank you for all the great applications. Please try to have your application finished by Monday, April 2 before 7:00 PM EST. I'll be looking over all of them that night and sending out invitations. If for some reason you can't make the deadline, please message me so I know that you're still interested.

I'm overwhelmed by the response and honored that so many people want to come.

About Applying

Forget everything you know about making a character for an RPG. In this campaign, I want ordinary people - that are extraordinary in everyday ways. Don't make an adventurer! Make a goatherd, or a bellfounder, a nun, a cartwright, a street urchin... someone that isn't concerned with killing monsters or saving princesses.

I know, I know, you want a cool sword or a kickass magic ability. But just play along and indulge me. I promise I'll make it worth it.

Oh, and humans only! Sorry elves .

Once you've decided on a concept, write a small piece (doesn't have to be longer than 3-4 paragraphs) explaining your character's backstory.

Then answer the proust questionnaire in the application. I know it's long, but again, it'll be worth it. It's a really good way to flesh out your character.

I'm holding the ad open until the end of April. I have 3 people already accepted, and I need 2-3 more. I will read through all the applications, and pick the three that seem the best fit. If I can't pick, I suppose I'll just have to expand the number of players .

Last edited by Arresia; May 1 '11 at 3:27am..
Name: Sol von Ciel

Appearance: Sol enjoys a modest vantage of 5'4" with a head shaped like an acorn. His skin is soft and creamy, a light olive in hue. The rest of him has been smoothed out over sharp angles. He's framed by small shoulders and gangling limbs. A pair of oval glasses keep his eyebrows at bay. There is a glimmer of green to his eyes, but they have been tucked away in high cheekbones. He speaks with a low tenor, and carries a faint musk of wood as he passes by.

Sol carries himself with the ease of a chess move. He wears enough thin clothing for two people; things that are self-made (he wouldn't trust another tailor if his life depended on it). Despite what Sol wants to believe, he is not exactly handsome. He simply borrows much of his charm from keeping fresh and clean.

http://phobs.deviantart.com/art/Ima-...2F341029&qo=10

Backstory/Description: He's a tailor.

You can probably count on me to write a little burb about his appearance and background, but I'm spent for now

Nice! Thanks for being patient with the questions, I love your cheekiness

Working on more with respect to setting now.

Also, your motto fits in with the plot amazingly well.

tt&l?

Name: Victer Droverson

Appearance: A medium-tall male in his early thirties, on the slender side of the spectrum. Generally innocuous-looking, with a slightly receding hairline (though his hair has yet to go to gray at all, and remains a dark color of brown which is almost black), heís possessed of equally-average features. On the other hand, his countenance when turned on an object or individual is extremely intense, often startling those unused to it and of-putting even to those used to it.

He walks with a slight limp, provenance of which he is both reticent and snappish about, and tends to dress in comfortable, sturdy clothing of a decent quality; when called upon to do so he posesses finery of a fair degree of quality, as well as the meticulous attention to detail required to mimic high fashion sense, which he lacks innately.

Backstory/Description:

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST FEAR? Failure, but more than failure. Humiliation, inadequacy, lack of respect, or a loss of repuatation. Being seen to have failed, or perceived to have failed? That sounds accurate.

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATE OF MIND? Behind a standard front of irascability and haughty competence, the deaths of so many people weigh heavily on his mind; still, his shop remains defiantly open. Might as well, give that his only real joy in life is his work; if somebody needs something repaired or a custom piece designed and crafted, well, heís going to be in his workshop anyway.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OCCUPATION?(WAY OF SPENDING TIME) His work, above all things; this is a man whose entire personality revolves solely around his competence, things which make up for his intrinsic inadequacies (real or self-perceived). There isnít much room in his life for anything else. Outside of that, going out for a good meal with his small circle of friends, with whom he enjoys conversations on wide-ranging topics is an activity which he normally enjoys at least twice a week.

WHAT IS YOUR MOST TREASURED POSSESSION? Without a doubt, his workshop and the tools and devices it contains, to include several devices of his own design.

WHEN AND WHERE WERE YOU HAPPIEST? Probably when he finally obtained the premeses for his business, and was able to finish outfitting his workshop to his satisfaction. Always keenly interested in figuring out how things work (to include devices which exist only in his imagination), his first discovery of the energy which can be stored in a spring, and the automation which can be powered by it could also qualify for this.

WHAT IS YOUR MOST OBVIOUS CHARACTERISTIC? A quality of absentmindedness toward the rest of the world, coupled with a razor-edged focus on whatever matter is currently at hand (both of these come with irascibility and snappishness when disturbed).

WHAT IS THE TRAIT YOU MOST DEPLORE (HATE) IN YOURSELF?

WHAT IS THE TRAIT YOU MOST DEPLORE IN OTHERS? Churlishness, self-aborption, and flattery.

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST EXTRAVAGANCE? High-grade materials for his own personal projects; most of his expenditures which are not business-related are for spring steel, fine grades and/or rare types of carvable stones and woods, etc. This has however resulted in a number of cunning clockwork devices to simplify workshop tasks, and plenty of decorative objects to scatter about the shop room and itís window to entice buyers and clients.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE JOURNEY?

WHAT DO YOU MOST DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR APPEARANCE? The importance other (less-intellegent and Ėskilled) individuals place on it.

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER THE MOST OVER-RATED VIRTUE? Nobility.

ON WHAT OCCASION DO YOU LIE? There are lies and then there are lies. Heís known to be both discreet and reliable within his craft, and is generally closed socially except with a limited group of individuals. Before the plague, the more than ample income he gained from his business, combined with the unlikelyhood that he might know anything of material value to anyone as well as his general dispositon, rendered him an extremely unappealing bribery target.

WHICH WORDS OR PHRASES DO YOU MOST OVER-USE? I have no idea, I havenít ever written dialogue for him.

IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?

WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE? A largish house in the country, on a moderate estate; plenty of room for larger (louder, more dangerous?) experiments and devices, plus enough income from the estate to fund those experiments and devices. Less time working on geegaws and knicknacks for wealthy city dwellers, more time for his own work.

WHAT IS THE QUALITY YOU MOST ADMIRE IN A MAN? Intellegence, cleverness, insightfulness.

WHAT IS THE QUALITY YOU MOST ADMIRE IN A WOMAN? Intellegence, cleverness, insightfulness. Interest in things other than fashion and frippery. Physical attractiveness.

WHAT IS IT YOU MOST DISLIKE? Having to waste time sleeping.

WHAT DO YOU VALUE MOST IN YOUR FRIENDS? Ability to tolerate his various flaws, intellegence, cleverness, insightfulness. Skill at something, anything interesting.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO DIE? Tries not to think about that sort of thing. Always to the future, forging ahead, refusing to stop or slow down.

IF YOU WERE TO DIE AND COME BACK AS A PERSON OR AN ANIMAL, WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE? If an animal, something curious and adventerous. A herding dog, or a predator cat, maybe. If a person, probably himself again. He would insist on no less.

IF YOU COULD CHOOSE AN OBJECT TO COME BACK AS, WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE? Preferably a clock tower. Or a factory, with plenty of mechanical automation.

WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO (WORDS YOU LIVE BY OR THAT MEAN A LOT TO YOU)? ďDo you want this done or not? If so, Iíd watch my tone while conversing with my artificer.Ē

WHO HAS BEEN THE GREATEST INFLUENCE ON YOU? The accidental deaths of his parents, as well as almost everyone else he knew; and event so traumatic that it caused the budding magical abilities he was beginning to display to vanish forever. This fundamental alonneness from an early age, combined with his self-perceived magical handicap drove him to seek an itinerant life where no one would get terribly close to him, as well as to turn to mechanical technology in order to enhance his ability to interact with and dominate the world around him.

Here's the map:

crimson_whelpling.s3.amazonaws.com/Pictures/Drawings/Map.png

Apparently I can't post the URL because I haven't made five posts yet, but it's huge so I'm not going to put it inline.

(Yes, I painted it. No, it's not color correct)

We'll be playing in Thakis's capital, Illum, but you're free to live anywhere east of The Glass Sea.

Name: Dorian "The Doorman" Dax

Appearance: Short for a nine year old and skinny as a straw, Dorian seems taylor-built for his two favorite passtimes; exploring the many secret tunnels, aqueducts and sewers that crisscross the city of Illum, and curling up in the corner of the city library after hours to read a good book.

Backstory/Description: Dax's earliest memories are of living in the country somewhere, or at least near a very large garden. Aside from that, he remembers his dad, and being in school. He's not really sure what he was in school for, since he'd only learnt the basics of reading and counting, and hadn't gone into subject matter yet when his father died. He stayed in school for a few more days out of habit, mostly. But nobody came to talk to him, to explain what would happen next or what he should do, and eventually he just wandered off. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do, but no one seemed that concerned with finding him after, so he doubts it.

Gang life was pretty inevitable after that, but he's only mediocre at thieving or stealth, he's certainly no thug, and he's not even that great of a liar. His gang, the Highstreet Hunters, usuaully use him as a forward observer or a lookout. Sometimes, they take advantage of his knack for small spaces and his knowledge of hidden tunnels, by having him sneak into a house through some unorthodox entrance way to unlock the doors.

I cannot get over:

ON WHAT OCCASION DO YOU LIE?

When I think it might work.

I'm still laughing. Great Job!

Tonight, I'm going to post a compendium to the map with a text description of the geography. Last night I spent way more time fixing the exposure on the map than I thought I would.

Huh. Thanks! I'm not usually funny on accident, it just seemed really accurate for him. He's pretty much grown up around thieves and expert con-men, he knows the value of a good lie, he's just not good enough to compete. I can't think of a solid cross-culture example, so just imagine a time-traveller who took a few fencing classes in college. He could beat the average twenty-first century accountant, but to anyone from a time that actually uses the sword as a matter of life and death, he won't just lose, he'll look like complete moron.

PS: the map looks really beautiful. I wish I could paint.

Looks like you've put a lot of work into this. I shall ponder deeply a character to suit.

Well this is interesting so I'll apply, especially the normal human thing looks fun.