Notices

The World's Largest Conversation

With backgrounds, you mean the backgrounds from PHB2 p178? There are none that really seems to fit Vicky. Can someone tip me off for any other source of backgrounds? Alternatively, I could create one, 'Physician', which grants bonus to the Heal skill.

I am not familiar with the RPGA Cards. Could someone give me a quick run-down how they work? I assume you either pick or get cards at random at the start of a session (or chapter), and then use them once each.

Another question. I read that we should use italic and our color to write thoughts. However, I feel that makes sense only for 'direct' thoughts, not for indirect ones. Let me illustrate by an example.

Example 1He spotted a key on the grond. Why would there be a key conveniently placed on the open ground, just when I was looking for one? This has to be a trap, he thought.

Example 1He spotted a key on the ground. Immediately he felt very suspicious; this was too much of a coincidence. Rather than pick it up, he looked around for clues that this might be a trap.

Not the best example, but I hope you got my point. There are no specific places I'd mark with italic and color in the second example. Or should I mark the sentence starting with 'Immediately he felt very suspicious..."

There's a ton of them in the character builder, otherwise they're sort of scattered throughout Dragon Magazines and Campaign sourcebooks. There's a good fallback one called Pivotal Event: Transformation that could fit any of us once we've been through character creation. If I remember correctly it gives a bonus or makes a class skill out of intimidate or insight.

Hm... Need a little bit of decision making.

Dice Roll: 1d2z
d2 Results: 2
SPEAK DIE (2)

1: Explorer/Guide
2: Last of the Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwen View Post
There's a ton of them in the character builder, otherwise they're sort of scattered throughout Dragon Magazines and Campaign sourcebooks. There's a good fallback one called Pivotal Event: Transformation that could fit any of us once we've been through character creation. If I remember correctly it gives a bonus or makes a class skill out of intimidate or insight.
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeba View Post
With backgrounds, you mean the backgrounds from PHB2 p178? There are none that really seems to fit Vicky. Can someone tip me off for any other source of backgrounds? Alternatively, I could create one, 'Physician', which grants bonus to the Heal skill.

I am not familiar with the RPGA Cards. Could someone give me a quick run-down how they work? I assume you either pick or get cards at random at the start of a session (or chapter), and then use them once each.

Another question. I read that we should use italic and our color to write thoughts. However, I feel that makes sense only for 'direct' thoughts, not for indirect ones. Let me illustrate by an example.

Example 1He spotted a key on the grond. Why would there be a key conveniently placed on the open ground, just when I was looking for one? This has to be a trap, he thought.

Example 1He spotted a key on the ground. Immediately he felt very suspicious; this was too much of a coincidence. Rather than pick it up, he looked around for clues that this might be a trap.

Not the best example, but I hope you got my point. There are no specific places I'd mark with italic and color in the second example. Or should I mark the sentence starting with 'Immediately he felt very suspicious..."
Your first example would be correct. This is mostly directed towards characters with mental abilities that can think instead of speaking.

The backgrounds question has already basically been answered, I'm sure with a little effort on my part, I can find something somewhat appropriate that gives a bonus to Heal (or Heal as a class skill so that you can stay trained in that ability).

As for the RPGA cards, they are cards that were given out as rewards at events sanctioned through the RPGA. Basically they work in two ways. First they grant a circumstantial bonus of some kind (like re-rolling a Natural 1 made on a skill check), and then once they are used for their primary bonus they grant a numerical untyped bonus (usually +1) that you can then use to boost the action of an ally (you can't use that bonus on yourself).

You'll get to pick three of these, but that will wait until after character creation is complete as well.

During the week I work from 9am - 6pm Central time, so you won't see much, if any, activity from me during that time frame.

Just a heads up.

Question about the Combat Tracker:
When we do hit, do we add to the "Damage Taken" total and list the new total, or do we just list our damage and the combat tracker updates the running total?

For example, say I (randomly) am a cleric, and hit "The Slug That Never Sleeps" with my "Sacred Flame" power for 6 damage? At the time of this posting, that enemy has 17 damage. Would I enter 23 damage illustrating my six damage and the new total, or just 6 damage and the new total would be computer to 23 via formula?

In the damage taken column you would add '+6' to the formula - it would then auto-calculate the running total. We use the combat tracker in another one of Flea's games. It works well once everyone gets used to it.

Right, but you have to add in this information in the formula bar at the top, not in the box itself. When you click on the box it will open up the current formula for that box in the formula bar. Then just add your damage. (ie if it starts out as =8+15, then you would add +6 after that). Be sure to hit enter after you add to the formula. It was also recently suggested in another game that we put a space in between damage taken in each round, so after 3 rounds the damage taken for an enemy might look like this: =8+6-5 +1+3-5 +2 (the minus five would represent a creature that is regenerating).

The only two boxes you should ever need to add to the formula bar on, are your HP, and the Damage taken boxes.

eastc & justin_elliott have both gotten used to this in another game I run, so they may step in and answer questions about it if they get on before me. It takes a little bit to learn, but it's not hard at all. Just try to remember not to change formulas in boxes that have them except for HP and Monster Damage.

You also shouldn't need to access any information on anything except the first page. Everything else on subsequent pages are there for the formulas to work. Please ask questions if you are not sure.

Got it

I'll make sure I enter any changes on the top, except for my character's HP/Damage taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea View Post
Right, but you have to add in this information in the formula bar at the top, not in the box itself. When you click on the box it will open up the current formula for that box in the formula bar. Then just add your damage. (ie if it starts out as =8+15, then you would add +6 after that). Be sure to hit enter after you add to the formula. It was also recently suggested in another game that we put a space in between damage taken in each round, so after 3 rounds the damage taken for an enemy might look like this: =8+6-5 +1+3-5 +2 (the minus five would represent a creature that is regenerating).

The only two boxes you should ever need to add to the formula bar on, are your HP, and the Damage taken boxes.

eastc & justin_elliott have both gotten used to this in another game I run, so they may step in and answer questions about it if they get on before me. It takes a little bit to learn, but it's not hard at all. Just try to remember not to change formulas in boxes that have them except for HP and Monster Damage.

You also shouldn't need to access any information on anything except the first page. Everything else on subsequent pages are there for the formulas to work. Please ask questions if you are not sure.