Once Again, the Depths - Looking for Fresh Blood

Old Apr 25 '11, 1:23am
GM - Once Again, the Depths

Once Again, the Depths - Looking for Fresh Blood

Once Again, the Depths - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e - Forgotten Realms 3.5e
Ad Closes: May 10 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Forgotten Realms based game looking for 4-5 heroes.

If you've completed the City of the Spider Queen module, you will likely find this game boring. You have been warned.

Game Forum: http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=9266

You can post questions here but if you wish to apply with a character concept, please do so in the game forum after reading the basic rules posted therein.

I'm looking for players with basic to advanced D&D 3.5 knowledge and, at the least, some basic FR knowledge please. Reference to FR events and people is highly likely to occur and adherence to FR gods/cosmology will be kept.

Novices need not apply. Sorry, I just don't have the time right now to go through all the hoops.

On that note, munchkins/powergamers need not apply either.

All basic rules of decency apply to this game as to all games though a level of maturity and dedication will be sought, as I suspect it is with most games.

Game Description:

Daggerdale has known no true peace for ages and recently drow have been making ever more brazen surface raids in proximity to the town.

You are an adventurer of renown and have traveled the realms for many cycles, making a name for yourself in small hamelts and large cities alike. Now, by the whim of Tymora or the whispers of Helm, you find yourself headed to Daggerdale. On the edge of a new adventure! Will this one be your last or the one that makes your name echo through the ages...

This is my second attempt at running the long City of the Spider Queen module. Let me make no pretenses to the fact that this is an ATTEMPT to run the module. To be fair with those players who wish to apply, I feel I should share that my last attempt failed due to RL issues that I believe no longer pose a problem.
Nevertheless, apply to this game with the knowledge that I can only do as best as RL lets me.

Last edited by Sorithar; Apr 25 '11 at 1:23am..
*Bump*

Haven't been getting too much interest. For the sake of those few who have shown interest, anyone want to give me some pointers as to why there is so little interest? Is there something I could do to engender more interest..?

Cheers,

Sorithar

Firstly, this may sound critical, but realize from a player's standpoint your game ad says all we may know about you as a DM. Phrases such as "Novices need not apply. Sorry, I just don't have the time right now to go through all the hoops." Say to a person: while you want to run the module you will be unwilling to help a fellow player grow in their knowledge base of the gaming system and therefore grow as a contributor not just to your game, but the Weave as a whole. I've been playing D&D for over 10 years and when I started playing 4e here...Needless to say my DM's have been VERY patient and nurturing. Not only did that make the game run smoother, but further down the road, should I get into another game, I will have a much more vast knowledge of the system, I may even help other players. (insert ripples in the water metaphor) Furthermore, this post may help you become an even better DM than you are now. I could have said "I only post in the ads of Veteran DM's" But where would that get anyone? The first and foremost thing is to be INVITING. I would suggest you look at some of the more successful ads, where you see a lot of people applying. Check out the recently closed "Courts of the Shadow Fey" in the 4e section. There were DOZENZ of amazing applications. Sure some of them were applying just because of some aspect they liked, but overall it is you, the DM who set the tempo for how many people apply to your game. You alone possess the power to inspire people to come up with brilliant/crazy/interesting/useless characters to help you build your world.

Furthermore, being one of probably thousands of people on the Weave (let alone the net), you would think it may not mean much if a few people decide they don't like the way you have posted an ad and don't apply. But I would disagree. If I meet a rude person here (I don't think I have yet) I would be much less likely to ever apply to a game they made, or possibly even one they play in.

Lastly, information is key! When you create your ad, you already have a lot planned out (you're the DM after all). But as a player, I know only what you tell me. After you finish your first draft (yes, I said first draft) of your ad, take a moment and read it again. Don't look at it from your perspective, look at it from mine. What questions would people ask after reading it? (No, I won't list them all). The way I see it, the less questions on mechanics people have after reading your ad, the more successful it could be considered. There is so much more I would write, but in my opinion these are the biggest two reasons you might be seeing a low application count.

No one is perfect, but I'm more than willing to forgive you if you forgive me for that spelling error in the first paragraph. But hey, that's just my two cents...

Thank you for your insights LucianV.

In regard to those issues LucianV has brought to light:

1. More information about the game and character creation rules is found in the game thread to which I have posted a link in the game ad below (or above depending on your settings...).

2. In regards to the statement: Novices need not apply. Sorry, I just don't have the time right now to go through all the hoops. Let me please clarify, I will be happy to aid and assist any interested player in whatever manner necessary to make their involvement in the game and the application to the game easier and more streamlined.

Having said that, it would be of great help to me and your fellow players in this case if you had at least some rudimentary knowledge of 3.5 Ed. rules and sources as well as some basic knowledge of the Forgotten Realms setting.

I realize this might alienate some people, and I apologize to those individuals. I am really only trying to be fair to both of us.

For my sake, it's not a lack of interest, but it takes a little more time to set up a 10th level character with ten levels' worth of backstory and equipment. A full(er) application is still forthcoming.

Yeah me too, beyond level 4 its a lot of work to make a character in return for a maybe I'll invite you, thank you for your application. Guarantee me an IN, & I'll shoot off a 10th lvl character. I want to play D&D, but I don't want the mental exercise to make a character I'll never use. I've been playing 3.5 since it came out, so its not due to lack of knowledge.

I would have loved to play, but my ideas don't seem to be fitting into the campaign setting well =\ I can't see an Apostle of Peace fitting into the campaign.

Tuld and william_mccuan:

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I was under the impression a lot of players are happy to create and play higher level characters for the fun of having a chance to access slightly more powerful abilities and items for a change. I realize it takes work to create a 10th level character from scratch but given the amount of work it takes to run a game, I quite frankly feel it is only fair to ask that sort of initial input from potential players, especially given that it is one of the only ways of properly gaging the power level of the group you are assembling.
Approving characters based on a rough concept only is simply asking for a mix of characters that just might not work in tandem.
I hope you might see my point but if you do not, I understand.

"You can only please some of the people, some of the time..."

SingleSyllable:

Sorry, but I'd have to agree that an Apostle of Peace might be out of place here. Though you never know, any character can find a niche in most any game somehow...