4e World's Largest Dungeon: Sponsored Chaos

Old Apr 30 '11, 3:09pm
Naked In The Rain

4e World's Largest Dungeon: Sponsored Chaos

WLD: Sponsored Chaos - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: May 8 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Mundane. It's a word often associated with the life we live. The day to day. Everything is boring, nothing is exciting. Most people don't live their lives, they work their lives. What if one day all that could change? What if you were approached in your mundane life and told that you could be great? That you could achieve fame, or fortune, or respect... perhaps something completely lacking from the life you normally lead. What if they told you that you could be whisked away to a magical place full of faeries and dragons? What if you were told of the riches and power that you could attain?

Would you take it? Would you accept?

Mundane is not what is being offered here. Be prepared to accept an offer to explore the depths of a deep dark cavernous dungeon the likes of which have not been seen on Earth. Will you accept the proposal of the mysterious stranger that has approached you? Are you willing to risk your life for your chance to become something greater?

This is a 4e conversion of the World's Largest Dungeon. For this game you will play a pizza delivery boy from San Diego, or perhaps a Naval Officer getting dishonorably discharged, or perhaps a runaway who lives off the street to survive. The application process will be slightly different for this game as Character Creation will take place as part of the game's introduction. These will be gone over once people are accepted into the game, though those of you who followed the thread in Game Planning will have some ideas of what is in store. You will have the opportunity to fully create your character, or play a random (or partially random) character in exchange for substantially greater starting wealth (not as compensation, but more as a reward for braving the unknown).

I'm good with modeled characters. If you want to model your character after someone in real life, like say Charlie Sheen, I'm all for it. If you want to model your character like a TV character, like say Dwight Shroot, I'm all for it. As long as you feel like you can effectively roleplay the person/character in question, I am fine with it. Just keep in mind that that just because you start the game off as Johnny Cage, doesn't mean you'll still be a martial artist after character creation (unless of course you actually build yourself that way...)

I am looking for approximately 6-7 characters for this game. Posting Rate is about 1 turn a week. I feel a rate of 1/day is unrealistic. Depending on time and responses I will get new turns out as fast as real life and your responses will let me. I have done several turns in a week (and a couple of times several turns in a day when time permits), it just all depends on how quickly we can all respond.

To apply for this game, I would like the following filled out by you and posted here:

Application Information

I'm only running this ad for about a week, unless I don't find enough applicants. I will close it on the 7th and start picking players the day or evening of May 8th.Thanks for your interest, and if you have any questions please ask and I will try to answer them ASAP.

Game Description:

Millennia ago, the celestials built a great dungeon. Within it, the celestials erected mammoth walls, locks, doors, and traps. It warded off those who would enter, but also walled in those who would escape; it was a dungeon larger than any ever known. Within it the celestials imprisoned hellish undead, demonic beasts, and fiendish monstrosities.

It was a perfect construction. Before the first dwarf would ever be born to sculpt stone, angels and celestials carved a work of art that no one would ever see. Perfect in every detail, it would stand inviolate for thousands of years. But none can say why the gods ordered demons and liches to be entombed and not destroyed. And in time, the gods would rue their mercy.

Centuries passed and the tomb stood unchanged. The champions who protected humanity from the liches and hezrou and pit fiends stood vigilant guard, ready to spend eternity in honor of the gods. But time passed over the celestials. The world forgot its heroes. Even the heavens turned a blind eye to the angels, inevitables, and guardians serving out their destiny entombed in the earth.

No one is sure how much time passed; history has forgotten the quest of the celestial heroes. One thing is certain: the earth is an unforgiving mistress and her power cannot be held back.

An earthquake cracked the foundation of the dungeon. The rift spread for miles, nearly ripping the dungeon in two. Into the rift flowed magma, but it did not boil the occupants of the dungeon. The temperature rose beneath the earth, and the cold home of the unliving became capable of sustaining life.

It was not long before the derro came. They made their homes among the rocks and tombs. Many of the traps set throughout the dungeon had been triggered, and creatures that the celestials had sworn to entomb eternally had escaped. In time, more subterranean creatures would make their homes in the rock. All the while, celestials contained the truest evils in the heart of this prison.

Then another earthquake pushed jagged earth through the dungeon floor, destroying a large portion of its foundation. Driders and drow dug beneath the rock and rubble to make their homes. The same earthquake tore a hole in the ceiling, and flying beasts like the arrowhawk and belker perched on the highest plateaus of their underground sanctuary.

As the dungeon's population grew, so did the celestials' fear that mankind would be destroyed by its inhabitants. Two titans made the long journey to the mountains and stood guard at the entrance and exit to the tombs, in eternal vigil.

Time passed. Few monsters made the climb down from the surface or pushed up from below. Only the strongest made a home in the debris of the prison. Eventually, more derro came, bringing other diggers with them. When they required more room, the derro dug deeper.

The burrowing derro caused a massive landslide, bringing thousands of pounds of earth and millions of gallons of water crashing in. Hundreds of derro and duergar died and the survivors moved deeper into the dungeon. Enlisting every manner of enslavable race, the derro crossed a giant chasm and started digging again.

Within the last hundred years, the dungeon has seen unprecedented activity. Every manner of creature lives in the dungeon. An elder treant and its elven entourage have made a refuge in the westernmost portion, while the undead have remained entombed at the northernmost point since the dungeon's creation. The core of the dungeon show the greatest sign of conflict, with angels and devils waging a war that must end poorly.

Others have learned of the great dungeon, they know little of it's history or true nature, but they have found a way to make it worth their time. Stealing away "players" from an alternate dimension they entertain themselves by sending in groups to explore the depths and they watch, betting on the outcome of battles and gloating over which of their "champions" live and die...

Last edited by Flea; May 7 '11 at 10:53pm..
One question about the class/race restrictions. What books will you be using for random generation? Will you give us monstrous races? Will you give use Eberron/Dark Sun/Forgotten Realms classes/races? Will you just use the three core rulebooks?

The funny thing is, I wanted to play as a character like Johnny Cage from the latest episode of Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Needless to say, I am very interested.

I am interested, but I don't see how I can create a personality and background for my character when I don't know his/her class, gender, or race. They go together rather strongly. I like the random character creation concept, but this just doesn't go well with a backstory and personality. Even the build of the specific class is an important part of a character's personality.

"I'm a tough, no-nonsense bandit who grew up on the streets looking for an opportunity to escape my life of crime and poverty".

Okay, and you're playing a Warforged bard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegek View Post
One question about the class/race restrictions. What books will you be using for random generation? Will you give us monstrous races? Will you give use Eberron/Dark Sun/Forgotten Realms classes/races? Will you just use the three core rulebooks?
If it's in the Online Character Builder it is up for grabs (and right now they have the Heroes of Shadow Races/Classes in it, so those will also be availiable). So basically, if it's published by WotC, it'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
I am interested, but I don't see how I can create a personality and background for my character when I don't know his/her class, gender, or race. They go together rather strongly. I like the random character creation concept, but this just doesn't go well with a backstory and personality. Even the build of the specific class is an important part of a character's personality.

"I'm a tough, no-nonsense bandit who grew up on the streets looking for an opportunity to escape my life of crime and poverty".

Okay, and you're playing a Warforged bard.
I think you missed one of the biggest parts. Everyone starts off coming from a regular life on Earth. So everyone will be human. That will change during character creation (or not depending on the Character Generation option you select).

So your original example concept would look more like this: "I'm a tough, no-nonsense member of a New York gang who grew up on the streets looking for an opportunity to escape my life of crime and poverty"

Then, if you go with fully random (instead of custom build), then yes, you could end up becoming a Warforged Bard. And the story then becomes about how you adapt to the changes you have just gone through. Your backstory and personality will all be based on the life you lived before getting this opportunity (or curse as some might end up seeing it).

To use a comics reference, it would sorta be like how Ben Grimm was a pilot who was transformed into a rocky strongman by cosmic rays. It didn't change who he was, but it did change how he felt, perceived things, and how others perceived him. Similar concept. You will go through a change and have to adapt to your new circumstances.

Well, what I meant was, with the random generation, will you be using everything on it? Because I don't have any books besides the core rulebooks

Sense it is random generation, will the difficulty be high enough to expect us to be able to optimize our characters to a point, or are we free to play around with our builds?

Remember the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon from the 1980's? This is sorta how I foresee this -- people thrust into a new body and having to adapt to a new surrounding all the while keeping their present personalities.

This could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus75 View Post
Sense it is random generation, will the difficulty be high enough to expect us to be able to optimize our characters to a point, or are we free to play around with our builds?
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here, so I'll try to lay out a blanket statement here: When we get to Character Generation, you will have three options ahead of you. You can choose to fully customize your character. This means, you will go through and build your character in the same basic way you would in any other game. If optimization is your bag of tea, then you can do that. That option gets you the least starting gold. The second option will be a partially random character. In that method, you will select the options that you want to see done randomly, and then pick the rest. You'll get an increase to your starting gold based on the options you select. The third option will be a fully random character. Basically, aside from name and sex, everything else about you will be figured up Randomly. This will get you the most starting gold out of the three options since you are taking the bigger risk at having a potentially less-than optimized character.

You won't be able to change anything about your character until you get a chance to retrain at 2nd level.

Hopefully that answered your question, if not let me know. You can also shoot over to the Game Planning thread for the campaign and read through the discussion I've had with other members over the past couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFan1971 View Post
Remember the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon from the 1980's? This is sorta how I foresee this -- people thrust into a new body and having to adapt to a new surrounding all the while keeping their present personalities.

This could be interesting.
That's part of my inspiration....