Notices

Mekton Z: Mecha Tourney

Old May 4 '11, 2:18pm
Kaim'era

Mekton Z: Mecha Tourney

Mekton Z: Mecha Tourney - Forum
Miscellaneous
Estimated Members Requested: 6

The heroes are part of a mecha gladiator team. Like a racing team on Earth today, the gladiator team consists of engineers, mechanics, owners, pilots, trainers and various other support personnel. The team has a space ship and two to four mecha of different types (or more, depending on the players.) They travel the circuit participating in League events: sometimes a race, a one-on-one, team combat, goal specific challenge (capture the flag), etc. The League events are low-power, full contact, and regulated, though less reputable venues exist. Game challenges include the actual events and also adventures the team will encounter at the different ports of call.

I want a game that will allow a variety of mecha types, combat types, and styles of play, without falling back on a military game or war story. With this idea, anyone could be there as it is a civilian operation. Plus, it still gives the characters a reason to be and stay together, provides an excuse for a ship, repair facilities and funding, and also makes them responsible to someone for it. It also gives a reason to be traveling around the universe, and allows for non-mecha related characters, such as a camera crew filming a documentary. (Every character, however, should have some connection to the base setup, either another character, an NPC, the ship, the team, etc.)

About the GM: I like role-playing, I've been playing tabletop RPGs for 30 years, so this game would be at least as much about the characters as about their mecha, and probably more so. Also, fair warning, I have a RL job that varies in intensity. As I won't be able to post on a set schedule, rather as time and game needs require, I will extend the same principle to players. I know I don't have much of a posting record here, I've been lurking for some time. If it helps, I wrote the campaign universe @Panya is using for the d20 Future game The Roman Federated Republic.

Rules: I will use Mekton Z and Z+ for this, with the potential to import from other R.Tal Interlock products on a case-by-case basis, namely Cyberpunk, Starblade Battalion and older Mekton II supplements.

Style:
the style is modeled after some of my favorite anime, such as Mach Go Go (Speed Racer), Macross, Macross Plus, Gundam, Zeta Gundam , Gundam 0083 and 08th MS Team, and other mecha anime to a lesser extent. Though most of those are military style war stories, think of it as that style of mecha in a Speed Racer format. There will be some mecha combat, primarily the events, some out-of mecha combat, and a good dose of role-playing. I am not into the god-like mecha styles of the later Gundam iterations, or Gun Buster, etc. I prefer the mostly realistic style of mecha. In the game forum I listed the mecha creation guidelines, expect mecha in the 5-15m height range.

Players: should be inquisitive, pro-active, and Good Samaritan types. That is, I expect the players to display ‘interested involvement. ‘ This means not simply reacting to events as they unfold, but actively investigating leads, seeking clues and following hints. Discussion in-character of such leads, of possible options, and plans of action are important for character development. In fact, I encourage scenes where the characters are merely interacting with each other and NPCs so as to give opportunity to dig into their personalities. There will also, as stated, be action scenes, in some cases initiated or avoided by the characters based on their decisions. Despite the set-up, it is a game about the characters, not the mecha.

The Universe is a sci-fi setting at the maximum Mekton Z tech level of 8, which corresponds roughly to a d20 Modern Progress Level of 7. There will be areas with lower tech level, but the PCs can come from TL8 backgrounds, and the team they are on has that level. Characters could come from a lower tech background, it’s up to you. The setting is one of my own creation and incorporates some of my favorite Sci-Fi RPG non-humans, some from other sources, some I created. Galactic politics is the back-drop, the tapestry hanging behind the story of the characters. You can ignore it, or not, as long as everyone is having fun.

The team will be a private one, unless there is unanimous outcry for it to be a national team, and the ship is a long-term charter. This arrangement gives me some flexibility. Three major NPCs that will affect the game and stories are: the Owner’s Representative, who controls the money and administration of the team; the Team Manager, who is in charge of actually organizing team affairs, training, mecha assignments, etc.; and the Ship’s Captain/Owner (and his crew), who is honorable but a bit mercenary and occasionally takes on additional passengers and cargo.

Applications: After reviewing the background info in the game forum, post here a description of the character you would like to play. This is your chance to sell the idea, and it will be a sample of your writing style that will help me decide which players to choose. If your idea is for a mechajock, describe what you want his/her mecha to be like. The game forum has guidelines on making mecha, characters, etc. already, you can use that to guide your desires. Do not roll up an entire life-path or anything yet.

Game Description:

The heroes are part of a mecha gladiator team. Like a racing team on Earth today, the gladiator team consists of engineers, mechanics, owners, pilots, trainers and various other support personnel. The team has a space ship and their own mecha of different types. They travel the circuit participating in League events: sometimes a race, a one-on-one, team combat, goal specific challenge (capture the flag), etc. Game challenges include the actual events and also adventures the team will encounter at the different ports of call.

The Universe is a sci-fi setting at the maximum Mekton Z tech level of 8, which corresponds roughly to a d20 Modern Progress Level of 7. There will be areas with lower tech level, but the PCs can come from TL8 backgrounds, and the team they are on has that level. Characters could come from a lower tech background, itís up to you. The Setting is one of my own creation and incorporates some of my favorite Sci-Fi RPG non-humans, some from other sources, some I created. Galactic politics is the back-drop, the tapestry hanging behind the story of the characters. You can ignore it, or not, as long as everyone is having fun.

Last edited by Grendel; May 4 '11 at 2:20pm..
Still reading through the rulebooks but I'm thinking of applying with either a human or Ardua (those feathers should be fun) hot headed battle jock. Mech wise I'm still up in the air, being that my first two ideas were to do something like this fellow or a zoid (seeing the mention of beast-form mecha). However the creation info sorta rules those two out as were confined to humanoid and melee weapons being difficult to use due to the minimum damage restriction. Again I'm still reading the rulebook but would something like a melee weapon where the edge is energy based but is otherwise solid (ie the edge can be turned off and weapon itself is still useable abet much weaker) be acceptable for the tournament? Plus I would think theres a setting for energy based melee weapons where the edge/blade forms but doesn't do much more than burn paint.

Also your probably going to want to create a thread in the game forum where our applications and rolls go so we can keep the two together. One for the rolls at the very least.

edit: Not to mention for missiles theres no reason that you can't replace the warheads with powder to mark that someone's taken a hit. They do that in battletech for practice battles (or at least in the novels they do...).

Hey userpay. Thanks for directing me here.

The few times I've gotten to play Mekton I've quite enjoyed them until the GM vanished shortly after the games started without a word. Not sure how much of that good feeling is due to the fact that a video game I liked was based on it and the first time I read the books I was like "Hey wait. This is Gearhead."

Still the games I've gotten to play in have been so few and far between I'm going to have to brush up on them. I'm big into roleplay over roll play, so this game seems right up my alley if I can just think up a good character concept. One thing though.

BTW: I tried picturing 8th MS Team + Speed Racer and... it was a mess.

Ok I read up on the stuff. Looks like you really put a lot of thought into this. Reminds me of the last Mekton game I played which would be a good thing if it hadn't lasted all of a few dozen posts before the GM vanished. Off the top of my head I can only think of one real criticism. You give a good description of what they look like, but seem not to take into account sexual dimorphism at all. A classic mistake in making sci fi creatures which is pretty much just as bad as just giving all the females two breasts in exactly the same place a human would half them. Just because they aren't the same species as us doesn't mean we can't tell what sex they are.

I was thinking of making a character who was originally from the accord but left due to boredom, but since that's not an option I'll just come up with some other idea. My concept is a young fighter jock who is a bit caught up in his own ego. He's not a bully or really even a jerk. He's just kind of clueless about some things and is more interested in groupies than maintenance, since the gearheads take care of that stuff.

Still interested in the game, and I gotta say that the amount of detail you've put into the various factions is pretty impressive, Grendel.

As for what to play, I was considering a showoff rookie pilot, the sort of guy who isn't in it just for the money or the thrill of winning, but to impress the crowds and earn massive amounts of acclaim. Think of a cross between Muhammad Ali's antics on and off the ring and the "styled" performers across many sports that boast gimmicks, signature moves and more.

Finally got around to reading the background info. Whew!

For my character, I was thinking of a racing-focused T'Sa pilot, with a minor in techy-ness. Backstory would be he dropped out of engineering school to get into racing, being more interested in the practical applications.

For the mecha, expect a lightweight one built for speed, speed, more speed, and did I mention speed?

Demented, please flesh out the idea some more. Rookie or veteran? Male or female? SOme more on the back story, too. J'fdar or other home world?

Azerian Kelimon, also some ideas on where he is from, assuming male.

Re: Melee and Missiles, you can put these weapons on your mecha. For melee weapons, the problem is using them, as in it's pretty hard not to inflict damage with them, even if it is light damage. Energy Melee Weapons (EMW) on the other hand use energy blades and so can be dialed down. I don't mind a sort of combo, where the physical blade retracts and an Energy blade replaces it, or something like what you described. As for missiles, non-damaging missiles are already permitted. If you want your mecha to use damage causing missiles with dummy/paint warfheads for the arenas - as kind of a signature thing - that's fine. For efficieny's sake they are not popular in FIMA tournaments.

Re: beast mecha, there are certain tournaments designed for beast mecha or beast/humanoid mecha fighting. It's kind of a specialized field, but I'm game if you have a good character. Otherwise, mecha can look like the pilot/owners, so not necessarily "humanoid" only.

Dire Lint, I'd also like to see a little more on background ideas, etc.

Re: sexual dimorphism, it's not a mistake, it's intentional. I didn't design any of these species. The descriptions don't go into sex or reproduction except the Dralasite, as they the authors thought it bore explanation. Since Yazirian are mammalian/marsupial, it is safe to assume they have distinctions between sexes that are visible. For the others, there is no reason to expect a difference, there is no consensus even among species that we know on Earth today.

Character generation requires very few die rolls. Any required can be done in the creation thread/post. But since I am not authorizing any characters to be made yet, I am waiting on creating a character generation thread or threads. Applications can go in this thread, use private text if you don't want anyone seeing something.

Thanks for the interest, and the comments/compliments. If you have any ideas for the game set up that seem relevant, you can post in the game discussion thread in the forum.

Quote:
Azerian Kelimon, also some ideas on where he is from, assuming male.
Selin, and proud of the corner of space he came from. Not fanatically so, but he takes insults to it seriously.

So damage missiles overall aren't really worth it or just for this style of fighting its not effective? At any rate I'll be starting in on char gen later today probably.

Well yeah. The lack of consensus is kinda the point. Sexual dimorphism takes on many forms. Make cats are usually bigger. Male birds are usually more colorful. If you want to see some interesting examples take a look at the races in Sword of the Stars.