Pioneers needed for an E6 campaign

Old May 20 '11, 6:12am
Truenamer of the Coast

Pioneers needed for an E6 campaign

If at First You Don't Succeed - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Jun 1 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 6

This will be an E6 campaign for approximately 6 characters (more or less) of 1st level, with the Jerk rule in effect.

I have enough information on the campaign currently written to get everyone up to the 6th level and beyond, and I will not have a problem with continuing it after that point. A lot of my RL work is done online, so it will be easy for me to post as needed. I will generally limit myself to 1 post per day, although if all players have already posted, I may make a 2nd one. I will not make a 2nd IC post on the same day if all active players have not yet posted actions after my first one.

If I need to advertise for additional players at some point in the future, I will do so. I expect the game to continue for as long as the players want it to.

Races/Classes Available:
No templates of any kind. Don't ask. Races with an LA up to +2 will be OK (but see Character Creation for details on LA adjustments; you might change your mind). No monster classes from Savage Species. No creatures with more than 1 HD at 1st level. Other than that, go crazy.

Posting rate expected:
1/day. If you're going to miss more than about 3 days, please give notice. We'll handle it on a case-by-case basis.

Character Dropouts:
If you vanish for more than a week without notice, you'll be replaced. If you later return, I'll listen to your explanation, leaning towards mercy. As mentioned previously, I like game continuity. If you give notice before vanishing, all will be well when you return. Everyone has a life.

Read and understand the following. It is not the most-commonly used procedure:

I will keep the application process open until June 1, 2011. Players who are accepted can expect to begin with a few days of meta-gaming while we discuss as a group what sort of campaign atmosphere we are hoping for, with the campaign beginning thereafter.

Game Description:

"Able-handed men and women needed to assist in the restoration of the fabled city of Summerdawn. Report to the garrison commander at five bells."

Fabled city. Yeah, right.

Perhaps it wasn't the historical episode of which your kingdom of Bauritor was most proud, but everyone knew the real story of the failed colony of Summerdawn. After all, even as humans measured time, it was less than two generations in the past.

It started as what seemed like a good idea--build a keep in the the lightly explored region to the north of Bauritor at the head of the Urrgar River, dominating the surrounding Arthan Forests and opening them up to commerce and trade. From there, so went the plan, the military could move in, securing an outpost on a new frontier and increasing the territory of the kingdom by more than 1/3. All against no real opposition. The Arthan Forest wasn't really claimed by anyone other than a few rag-tag bands of humanoid raiders and the occasional Druid; certainly no match for the Bauritan miltary, backed by the newly-built keep.

The problem, if you remember correctly, wasn't barbarian hordes, angry Druids, the wrath of the gods, or even raiding humanoids. It was simply lack of a good reason for the colony to exist.

The land around the keep was good enough, but no better than other, more settled lands, more conveniently located. Few men and women were willing to move their entire families out into the wilderness for such a small benefit.

Those who were naturally of a pioneering mindset balked at the idea of living in the shadow of a large military garrison.

The river flowed in the wrong direction for commerce--upstream from Summerdawn was nothing but additional unexplored wasteland, and few merchants were willing to take their caravans more than a week UPstream to the town for no reason other than to get a good price on chickens. The garrison itself was supplied directly from Bauritor's treasury, so there was no profit for the merchants there, either.

So, a state-of-the art keep--really, closer to a full-fledged castle--built at a cost of tens of thousands of gold pieces and designed to supply over a hundred and fifty soldiers throughout a protracted siege, sat overlooking an empty river and a town which never had more than a couple hundred residents.

When war came (and war always comes), on a frontier far from Summerdale, it became impractical to maintain the outpost so far from where it was needed. As the garrison's soldiers were slowly redeployed elsewhere, the raiding humanoids of the forest, never fully conquered, became a genuine threat to the settlers. Less than twenty years after the town had been founded, the last of the pioneers straggled back to civilization, defeated and broken. The castle was left vacant for whomever wanted to take it.

That war continues to this day, a bloody stalemate draining the treasuries and manpower of both kingdoms.

And now, so early in the spring that the snows of the previous winter have not yet fully melted, posted on the doors of every temple in the frontier city of Oulu, a notice has gone up:

"Able-handed men and women needed to assist in the restoration of the fabled city of Summerdawn. Report to the garrison commander at five bells."

Wonder what's behind that, you think. Politicians--they never learn.

But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of other work to be had now, your funds are low, and skilled young men and women without obvious sources of income always had to be concerned about being compelled to join the military and thrown into the meat grinder to the south. Maybe it's not such a bad idea to go somewhere far away from the front lines, where the long arm of the military is unlikely to reach.

Last edited by RPGeezer; May 20 '11 at 3:18pm..
So you'd be fine with a Straight Binder? Fluff to follow acceptance and my doing some heavy reading?

EDIT: Actually that concept may get absolutely slammed in an E6 campaign with no further binding progressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousTroll View Post
So you'd be fine with a Straight Binder? Fluff to follow acceptance and my doing some heavy reading?

EDIT: Actually that concept may get absolutely slammed in an E6 campaign with no further binding progressions.
I'm fine with that. Actually like it. Not sure that you'd get slammed, either. With Improved Binding, you'd have access to 4th level Vestiges, and I'm not positive, but I think you could actually arrange a level of KoSS at the end. I don't think you'd dominate the game as a Binder 5/KoSS 1, but I think you'd be able to carry your full weight.

I'm not worried about dominating. If I can still be effective while roleplaying and not getting killed- I'll be stoked.

I'm moving this weekend, so my hopes are that the IC posts don't leave me too far behind to feel out of my depth. But will have a full concept/sheet to you with roleplay samples by Wednesday next week at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousTroll View Post
I'm moving this weekend, so my hopes are that the IC posts don't leave me too far behind to feel out of my depth. But will have a full concept/sheet to you with roleplay samples by Wednesday next week at the latest.
You should have plenty of time to catch up. I'm building my first ever Binder for a different game right now, and I'm pretty impressed with the class. Never really read through it in detail before last weekend. Would love to see what you come up with.

Posting interest. Will the Marshal class from Miniatures be allowed?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b for reference.

Edit: And perhaps "Item Familiar" from UA? I'm not specifically looking for XP bonuses from it, but instead for the skill bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escarion View Post
Posting interest. Will the Marshal class from Miniatures be allowed?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b for reference.

Edit: And perhaps "Item Familiar" from UA? I'm not specifically looking for XP bonuses from it, but instead for the skill bonus.
Yes to the Marshal, and I'll edit the advertisment to make everything in Complete Miniatures available. No to Item Familiar--I think it'd be fine in a normal game, where feats are rare and precious things, but in E6, you'll have them to burn. Sorry.

RPGeezer, as I've never actually played E6 before and am not by any means a huge power gamer. I'd love to hear your opinions on what feats might make an effective binder? Perhaps via PM so as not to give my whole game away. Whenever you have the time, my application won't be up and completed til Tuesday/Wed regardless.