Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

WoLT Challenge: Unique Artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podonis View Post
I had a great idea for a magic artifact. I don't know anything about the GURPS system and I'm not going to stat this out because I'm lazy, but here it is:

Artifact: Madman's Blimp
A normal blimp at least 150 feet long. This blimp is coated in an alumiron casing to keep punctures to a minimum. The engine cars are pressurized to allow for high altitudes. The blimp also has numerous prods, arms, and pincers on the bottom for salvaging wreckages.
Many apologies but can't utilize airships. The tech level is insufficient, it's straight classic sword and sorcery fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
Kedra's Fang (AKA- The Demon-Eater)

Kedra was once possibly the world's most renowned demon slayer. A relatively decent sorceress and expert fighter, she was known to enter the deepest hells and slaughter hundreds of hellspawn- she cared not for their rank, power, or if she were in the abyss or the hells. She had knowlege of the strength and weaknesses of the evils below that exceeded that of even their own scholars.

Eventually, she died. Not at the hands of the hellspawn who hated her so completely. But by the machinations of a mortal mage. She thought him a demon summoner. Technically true, perhaps, but he only dabbled in the arts of demonology and necromancy. His true love was enchantments and the production of magic items. His trap labyrinth eventually weakened her enough that he captured her. Then he tortured her. And he thought he broke her.

Eventually he bound her soul into a weapon. A crowning achievement, his greatest device to date. And traded it to a demon-lord for considerable boons. It is rare that one walks away from a deal with demons where both are completely satisfied. This was one such time.

Kedra's Fang was ordinarily a powerful blade. Crimson red. It is a utilitarian saber design, the very weapon the now deceased ranger brought with her as a backup to replace her demon-bane weapons if needed. Powerful enough unto itself. But the true strength of the blade was that it contained all of Kedra's knowlege, and bestowed it upon the wielder. Whomever held this weapon could cut a path of destruction through demons. Bolstered by her knowlege, one would be nigh untouchable in battle, and every strike was deadly, against demons or devils or any of the other denizens of the lower realms.

While there are other weapons just as powerful against demons. This blade had one feature all the others lacked. It retained its full power, when wielded by demons. Making it the most deadly weapon in the civil wars of the hells.

It has been the cause of the downfall of countless demon lords. The one wielding the blade is nearly unkillable, quickly climbing in status until they become a lord unto themselves. Where dozens of other lords assault them simultaneously in an effort to claim the blade themselves. In its relatively short existance of under two hundred years, it has traded owners nearly six hundred times. It has personally cut down nearly a million demons.

Some theorize the blade carries a curse with it. One that lets the spirit of Kedra to control the demon who owns it, allowing her to use it to her ends, until it dies, and she claims another. Others believe it is simply demonic nature... that given a weapon of this magnitude of power, it is certain that they would use it on each other. Always.

Those who knew Kedra agree... her soul may have been destroyed in the sorcery that made this blade. But she would have made the sacrifice willingly, had she known what her legacy would bring.
This will require a massive revamp to fit the game world, but the core concept is pretty awesome. In this world the wars are between the demons and devils, each being the yin to the others yang. They exist in a place one might consider like hell called Drammun (dra-moon) and are actually the psyche of one of the ancients playing out a schizophrenic fantasy of a split personality that hates itself. The actual hells are populated not by classical fleshy DnD demons but things called psychological daemons, which are more like concepts of personal horror (they are also the demons that possess mortals). Psychological daemons are actually far more dangerous because they can't simply be killed. Either way, the story of Kedra could have taken place in the 2nd or 3rd age when the demons took over the world and the sword could still be in drammun.

The sword isn't something I'd expect to come up in the current game but it's a fascinating concept that should certainly be put in, I like specifically the notion that no one is sure if it's mind control or demonic nature

Yeah, wasn't made for your campaign world. Actually, one of my characters made the blade- ah, the joys of evil campaigns and the craziness they bring forth.

Also- soul stealing based item creation and a high level ranger victim. HAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post
Many apologies but can't utilize airships. The tech level is insufficient, it's straight classic sword and sorcery fantasy.
One word...Eberron...lol

My afformentioned evil enchanter character is planning to build a flying ship. Out of the souls of pixies. See... doing the math... I should only need about fifty of them to install into choice locations within the vessel. Basically making a flying frame of metal that's capable of supporting the necessary weight. From there, a ship can be built. There will be a control room with a magically suspended model of the ship.

All the flying frame pieces are programmed so they'll attempt to stay in the correct x-y-z location relative to the model ship. If you push the ship "up"- the floor will begin to "chase" it upward. The higher you lift it over its suspension point, the faster the vessel will travel. It would also be able to twist in all kinds of fascinating directions. I'll probably build it saucer-ship-style for maximum efficiency.

The control room itself will have some enchantments stuck on it to keep both pilot and model ship suspended in the center of the room. Always keeping the pilot sitting "upright" in relation so the ground.

Eventually I'll get the entire vessel made out of something metal and magical. "Behold, my f-ing flying tank! Powered by pixie souls. And possibly an air elemental. Also. Cannon. With enchanted cannonballs. Also made from peoples' souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podonis View Post
One word...Eberron...lol
Ebberon hardly qualifies as "classic" sword and sorcery IMO. You are free to debate that as much as you like but it won't change the fact that there are not airships in this this home brew world in the current age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
My afformentioned evil enchanter character is planning to build a flying ship. Out of the souls of pixies. See... doing the math... I should only need about fifty of them to install into choice locations within the vessel. Basically making a flying frame of metal that's capable of supporting the necessary weight. From there, a ship can be built. There will be a control room with a magically suspended model of the ship.

All the flying frame pieces are programmed so they'll attempt to stay in the correct x-y-z location relative to the model ship. If you push the ship "up"- the floor will begin to "chase" it upward. The higher you lift it over its suspension point, the faster the vessel will travel. It would also be able to twist in all kinds of fascinating directions. I'll probably build it saucer-ship-style for maximum efficiency.

The control room itself will have some enchantments stuck on it to keep both pilot and model ship suspended in the center of the room. Always keeping the pilot sitting "upright" in relation so the ground.

Eventually I'll get the entire vessel made out of something metal and magical. "Behold, my f-ing flying tank! Powered by pixie souls. And possibly an air elemental. Also. Cannon. With enchanted cannonballs. Also made from peoples' souls.
I am also playing in a game right now where my character is building the first airships with his company. One of the other PC's is the inventor and lead engineer. Decidedly though, it's a steampunk setting, which IMO is where airships are actually most appropriate. In GURPS terms it's the difference of TL 3 and TL 5. My world is around TL 3-4 in most civilized regions.

Actually...

Ours runs on MAGIC GAS!

I know what you're thinking. GAS is another word for FLATULENCE, you are correct in that assumption, however it's not accurate but is fun to think about.

First question, is this still open?

Secondly, I still have to investigate the wiki... how 'high magic' should artifacts be? I had two ideas, one more in the 'weapon of legacy' mould, and one... well, one's going to be a touch more magical.