Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Paradox

Paradox

Pinnochio says "My nose will grow".

Think on it properly for a minute. Then state your belief as to what occurs.

His nose has to grow. If he's telling the truth it grows, if he's lying it grows (unless he's already become a REAL BOY).

Incorrect. His nose only grows if he lies.

Thus, if it grows, and he said it will grow- he's telling the truth. But that can't happen because it only grows when he lies.

If bread always lands butter-side down, and a cat always lands in its feet... what happens if you tie your bread to a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
If bread always lands butter-side down, and a cat always lands in its feet... what happens if you tie your bread to a cat?
Your cat has the back buttered?

you break physics and gravity, you nasty troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog Dreamer View Post
Incorrect. His nose only grows if he lies.

Thus, if it grows, and he said it will grow- he's telling the truth. But that can't happen because it only grows when he lies.
What if he say's "My nose will grow, but I'm really a girl not a boy!!!" he told the truth and the second part was a lie, therefore his nose grows and he told the truth that it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud
I think mythbusters already tested the toast thing....it doesnt always land buttered side down, it just seems like it does because you remember the bad times more than the good, it also depends how hard you press when you spread the butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethya View Post
I think mythbusters already tested the toast thing....it doesnt always land buttered side down, it just seems like it does because you remember the bad times more than the good, it also depends how hard you press when you spread the butter.
Yep. They found that it will almost always land butter-side up, due to the fact simple act that buttering it creates a curve that will cause it to float down like a leaf when dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog Dreamer View Post
Pinnochio says "My nose will grow".

Think on it properly for a minute. Then state your belief as to what occurs.
Nothing. Unless Pinnochio can read the future or has some sort of omniscience or anything along those lines, he isn't lying per se. He isn't telling the truth either but if this did cause his nose to grow, then any time he says "Good day" or anything that is not complete and absolute objective truth (so no metaphors, no irony, no opinions) the effect will trigger. As far as I remember, he only lied about things he personally knew and that's when his nose grew. Otherwise the magic will would have had to be truly omniscient or Pinnochio would have had one of the best divining abilities ever: he would only need to state something and judging whether his nose grew or not he would know whether what he said was true, no ambiguity nor uncertainty of any kind that usually comes with the other divination abilities. Even if he had no actual idea of an even a simple statement would reveal the truth: imagine he says "I will throw heads" and his nose grew he would immediately know that the coin will actually show tails. And he only needs to speak the truth to reverse it, so "I will throw tails" will fix him. Hell, that makes him even more valuable - forget that he's an animated doll, he's a crystal ball anyone can use with equal ease.