Notices

Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Paradox

hahaha are you gonna keep him in a cage like in the movie DoPo, your just as evil as the freakshow guy.

I disagree. Stating "my nose will grow", knowing that if it doesn't he's lying, is a fact known by Pinnochio.

Thus a lie.

If he says "Tails" when he's about to flip a coin- He couldn't possibly know the result so he's not lying.
If he says "Good Day", he couldn't possibly know it's a lie until 11:59pm when it turned out the whole day was bad- but up until 11:59 anything could have changed to make it a good day- thus not a known lie.

His nose only grew if he knew a falsity and spoke it.

Knowing about his nose and it's trick- it's a known falsity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
If bread always lands butter-side down, and a cat always lands in its feet... what happens if you tie your bread to a cat?
http://scottthong.files.wordpress.co...wirl.gif?w=450

Another. You travel back in time and kill your grandfather before he conceives one of your parents, which precludes your own conception and, therefore, you couldn't go back in time and kill your grandfather.

This leads me to believe time travel will never exist

unless time is already moving backwards, and in theory, it is. Plus time is traveling forward all the time, or so it seems, thusly it seems unlikely time travel does not exist.

Isn't there some light particle that doesn't follow the rules of time? Or have I got that memory from some random sci-fi thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog Dreamer View Post
Another. You travel back in time and kill your grandfather before he conceives one of your parents, which precludes your own conception and, therefore, you couldn't go back in time and kill your grandfather.

This leads me to believe time travel will never exist
From what I remember about quantum mechanics, there's the notion of constantly-splitting realities ("eigenstates", I think they're called) which divide with each potential point of decision. As such, an "alteration" to history would simply result in your shifting into another parallel eigenstate, rather than collapsing your own.
I recommend reading Robert Anton Wilson's "Schroedinger's Cat" for a more entertaining study of such topics.

RAW was a great writer, but hardly a scientific journalist.

I think what you're getting at though, is that the collapse of the wave function occurs in the consciousness of the observer, which specifically is why there is a problem creating the unified field theory, in that, big things don't work like small things, the laws are different.