Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Movie Scripts

well go for it man. I'm not particularly married to any one idea personally. I work with what I'm given

Yeah.... You have awakened the dragon of WRITING!!!!

Would you be down for say a series of 15-20 minute ep. or one longer piece that can be shot in 10-15 min bits?

And I second what Arcane said, Urban fantasy can be done cheaply and with little fanfair depending on the writing.

Also with your wish for good original music, I happen to know a handful of decent composers fresh out of college.

I could perhaps convince them to do some pieces.

for whatever you do, I have a ton of music, just not for the idea I put forth.

It's all electronic, metal, industrial type stuff.

There is a thread about my new record here

Alright folks, i have had a chance to read over some of the posts and started to realize we are getting hung up on a few things. The cost of the production and time limit. At this point its like putting the cart before the horse. What is important is the script. Does it do what it was written to do? Make us laugh, cry, cringe, etc. Once each one writes a script, what is important is, is it a good story. Does it tap into those elements that make a good story? I wanted to focus on making something smaller in that time limit range challenge people to make a story in 10 minutes. Its not easy but its do able. Still great things come of it, i have seen short films, be 4 minutes long and be as moving as full length films. As far as the cost goes, if a script is sent to me and its good writing then I will be footing the bill to make it happen. Writing a good story Aye thats the rub. To that end i offer some resources to be considered.

filmriot
http://videocopilot.net/
http://celtx.com/

A note on music, I will have to listen to it, post a link if you have not already, and let you guys know

Hey Sabasteon, I've thrown you a PM. Don't have a full script, but it's got a scene by scene outline. Mind taking a look?

just sent the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabasteonshane View Post
Alright folks, i have had a chance to read over some of the posts and started to realize we are getting hung up on a few things. The cost of the production and time limit. At this point its like putting the cart before the horse. What is important is the script. Does it do what it was written to do? Make us laugh, cry, cringe, etc. Once each one writes a script, what is important is, is it a good story. Does it tap into those elements that make a good story? I wanted to focus on making something smaller in that time limit range challenge people to make a story in 10 minutes. Its not easy but its do able. Still great things come of it, i have seen short films, be 4 minutes long and be as moving as full length films. As far as the cost goes, if a script is sent to me and its good writing then I will be footing the bill to make it happen. Writing a good story Aye thats the rub. To that end i offer some resources to be considered.

A note on music, I will have to listen to it, post a link if you have not already, and let you guys know
Just on a general note, time limit and budget are generally two big concerns. If you're not worried about it though, then I guess I'm not either.

I'm certain I can put together a decent script as can many in this particular forum, being knowledgeable of story elements, tropes, and how to use them effectively, but I do recall a piece of wisdom from the days when I did some work on short films, being:

"The best scripts don't make the best movies"

The idea being (and this is true for all story telling mediums) that it's not the story itself that is important, but the way it is told. In this case it falls largely to you and your team to make it believable. If we laugh or cry it will be because you guys did a great job. The same script in the hands of two different film crews will make two entirely different watching experiences, if not two entirely different movies. If the director has a great day, the crew and editors are tight and the chemistry with the actors is good, he can make what was a throw away scene in the script into a modern art masterpiece and the opposite is also true.

I totally agree though, shorts can indeed be powerful. I personally really LOVE this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlbZO92ZyA

Anyhow, music links:
http://www.akksite.com my main site
anything can be previewed here for it, but it's a lot of digging since there is 13 albums to go through from the old demos.

New thread discussing my new album:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=136119
This is previewed on a few major retailers right now.

Album from 2009:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/day...rd/id343734799
That's itunes, but it's also on pretty much every other decent international music distributor

If you like a song in particular, just let me know which one and I can send you a track, but I can't email the hundreds of songs I have, that would be insane.

Some have lyrics, most don't.

Should have another new album out later this year.

Also, I didn't catch any feedback on the submission I dropped. I would like to know if that's a pitch you would seriously consider before I bother to begin work on it and assemble a writing team, otherwise I'd rather put my creative efforts into working with another writer on a script that will actually have a chance at getting made.

I'll take a look over your posted resources when I have a min

Forgive me, i hope that did not come off as rude, about the concerns you have for production. Yes feedback, i seemed to have gotten caught up in the other posts. A gritty film. I had never given it much thought as to doing one. I got this kinda of sin city sorta vibe. I'd say pass on it for now, but the good thing is that now its on record here on the forum, so if need be I can come back to it, if i have a counter pitch that flows in that same vein.