Among the Stars: Ep. 1 New Heroes

Old Jun 27 '11, 1:38am
Magic Oddball

Among the Stars: Ep. 1 New Heroes

Among the Stars - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Ad Closes: Jul 20 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 6

This will be a MnM 3rd edition game played over a series of story arcs. The first arc is about the character's rise to the status of heroism. As per the interest check earlier, the mood and theme will be grim and wrought with obscurities, where good humor is the best strategy to keep one's mind intact. I haven't put much thought into the setting itself, but I have layed some ground rules as far as the game mechanics go.

-To start out, characters will be PL 5 with 75 Power Points and 25 Equipment points.

-Any and all character concepts will be considered. I'm not specifying an exact number of desired players because I personally dislike being rejected for games and happen to know the attrition rate of "Less than Enthusiastic" players tends to sort itself out.

-Origins of actual "Super Powers" will only be accepted if they have a background in line with the sci-fi setting. For example, lighting someone aflame from a distance can be done either through Pyrokinesis, a Nano-Robotic Utility fog, or your ability to spray incendiary chemicals onto them.

-I'll ask that all applicants outline the species template they use to create an alien race, in case another applicant wants to play the same race (for whatever reason)

-Acceptance will be rolling. I'd like to think I know the difference between a bad character and a good character, but you certainly won't be accepted until your character's Race, Appearance, Background, Abilities, and Character Sheet are completed.Applications go here.

Game Description:

The galaxy is in a state of termoil, as anyone could expect. An ancient empire that lived in peace for centuries has decided to 'share' the peace they enjoyed for so long. Under the rule of the young Eugene Bromium, the Thaladine Empire has embarked on a bloody campaign that threatens to engulf the galaxy whole. Planet after planet has already fallen to Thaladine's forces, and you are among those effected.

Whether among the denizens already conquered, or a soldier about to face the enemy head on, you've recognized one thing. This war must be stopped, if the shadow behind these events is to be confronted.

Last edited by taoistGlasshopper; Jun 27 '11 at 1:42pm..
I do appologise if this doesn't seem too well thought out. But I should have more time soon to get back in the mood and building setting details.

Question; does either literal magic, some sort of psudo-magical concept (such as psionics or 'the force'), or "sufficiently advanced technology left by an inscrutable precursor race" exist within this setting? That would kinda help narrow down my character concept.

Also, how "hard" is the Sci-Fi setting?

Yes, All forms of faith healing, telekinetics, sorcery, and "The Force" fall under the Sci-Fi staple known as Psionics. The definitions and terms are all poorly thought out which is why I avoided using any single one. You can certainly describe it as any of these things except "The Force"; this isn't Star Wars...

Also advanced technology from an ancient race is also possible. The galaxy itself is essentially, a blank slate. In the most out of character sense, there is little to no life among the stars, which is a problem I'll be working on long after the game starts.

Oooooh...interesting. Question: since the campaign is supposed to function in arcs, I take it we can/should plan for the future when it comes to character design? I. E. will the heroes' skills escalate as their oppositions' do, or should we assume that PL 5 is the "final" campaign value barring slowly accruing PP over time?

So how much freedom would I have in defining my race's place in the galaxy? For example, defining dominant technologies, trade routes, setting up relations with neighboring aliens, etc.

As long as they weren't "Easily the most powerful nation in the galaxy", I'd be fine with it. I consider myself an honest person; if I have a problem with your character I'll refrain from accepting them and let you know why upon request.