Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Shadowrun: A Interesting Antagonist

A Interesting Antagonist

So I was writing up a story to a SR game I'm hoping to do some time in the far future when questioned the plausibility of the main villain group, so I ask you all does the Thuggee push the envelope too far even for the 6th World? I mean I know they pretty much dissolved long ago but I thought it would certainly throw runners for a loop to fight something so foreign and alien to those unfamiliar to Indian History.

I can't give you an in game answer to this because I know nadda about SR, but, I can say this:

It's never the story that's important, but how you tell it. If you take your idea and make it plausible and believable, there players won't even question it.

If you haven't already, take a peek at the GUIDES in my sig. All of them are good, even for old school members, but the GM guide especially has some really great story telling tools. If you utilize the principles contained therein, you can take something completely out of the norm and make it into an epic story your players will praise for times to come.

Just so you know, I put it together, but that's wisdom from the whole MW community (at least the vocal ones) as well as advice from top writers and catalogers and it's been universally very well reviewed. Take those principles and apply them and I'm sure you'll find a great solution to your story difficulty.

I don't have the Sixth World Almanac, unfortunately, but a quick lookup at the Shadowrun Wiki suggests that India in the sixth world has readopted many of its more traditional habits (i.e. pre-colonial), up to an including the old caste system. So I'd say historical tidbits such as Thuggees would be wholly fair game and entirely justified in-setting.

In terms of how you build/play them, it depends on how dangerous you want this particular branch to be. Given the
Which are, admittedly potentially apocryphal - much of the historical information on Thuggee cults comes by way of British interpretations of Indian history during their colonial period.
relgious overtones (Kali Worship, etc.) you could make the group magically awakened which would make them extremely dangerous - the low level phansigar/noosemen would be physical adepts and the jemadar of the band could be a Blood Mage/Shaman who uses the ritual sacrifice of travellers via strangulation to cast spells without drain. I think there might even be an Hindu themed Magic Path you could canibalize in Street Magic to lay the groundwork with. And, of course blood magic opens the way for the truly nasty things (Horrors, Insect Spirts, Corrupt Totems, etc) to be brought into play as well.

You could also keep them strictly mundane: cybered assassins devoted to a particular ideology - you could even make them freedom fighters or Shadowrunner analogues in a society that has solidified upon strict caste lines. They could work as a violent analogue to some of the metahuman rights movements in the CSA.

Either way Shadowrun embraces that sort of old-meets-new juxtaposition - I mean, they still have the faux Aztec/Mayan corp-nation of Aztlan around in the canon, mass human sacrifices and all so it's not like there's no precedent for it.

I totally agree with Cirlot. Thugee fit SR very, very well, in a campaign involving India I'd sort of expect them to show up.