x3--: Season 3 OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Steel View Post
Yes

"Taking 20 take twenty times as long as making a single check" Core Book p.60

The only rules I find for scanning is Perception sill: Search maneuver, takes a full round action. A full round is how long? 6secunds? It would mean 2minutes then, or do you find any other rules about it?
Try Starships of the Galaxy, Use Computer: Use Sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Steel View Post
Yes

"Taking 20 take twenty times as long as making a single check" Core Book p.60

The only rules I find for scanning is Perception sill: Search maneuver, takes a full round action. A full round is how long? 6secunds? It would mean 2minutes then, or do you find any other rules about it?
Also, the full-round action refers to searching a cubic meter. Despite what many people would have you believe ('It's a small world'), a planet is a little bigger than that.

When using percetion yes, but using a computer i doubt it would only search a cubic meter... so how long does it say in SotG a Use Sensor check takes? 1 hour?

Oh interesting... the rules says nothing about finding living creatures only things that emits energy, so I guess it's impossible then

Can be done as a reaction, actually, but that only applies to ships vs ships. I know I read something somewhere about scanning planets, but I can't remember where. I'll dig.

Honestly, I really don't care about the rule books, GM sets what is right and wrong, I know I will use common sense above rules in my game.

In this situation that would probably be a 5-10 min scan of the planet, the computer quickly narrow out the uninhabited part then starts scanning the important areas. A take twenty would be about 2-3 hour.

You just made a ruling, which is, essentially, every GM's job. Up to Dorat to make his ruling. As players, we should be looking for ways to subvert that ruling in our favour. Sorry, Dorat, it's what we do.

As for Grey taking 20, ambiguity when making decisions as a player gives GMs the wiggle room they need to enforce harsh rulings. It's a peeve of mine as a GM and as a player. Drk should be aware that choosing to take twenty isn't a free success, it represents an investment of in-game time. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but what if the GM suddenly argues that, because Grey decided to take 20, the crew ends up waiting for 2-5 hours, and now Imperial reinforcements have showed up and subsequent encounters and skill checks are now more difficult.

I'm not implying that that should happen every time someone takes 20, but is taking 10 really that bad? :P

Yes I made a ruling, I said that was how I would have handle the situation if I where a gm and I think every gm should make his own rules, as long as he in someway explain his thoughts about it.

Personally I prefer when GM throw you a curveball based on all decision you makes, as long as the gm is active and you are able to talk to him and come to an agreement if there is a misunderstanding. Sadly most gm at myth, the ones I've played with, is rarely online and when they finally answer your question it's all to late to make any retcons.

@freeclint, I doubt any of you would notice him from above you probably have to get into the jungle and search their, and he would probably have to alert his location in some smart way. Sure you can use the force, but as I understand you can feel a presence but as long as I'm no force user you can't feel if it's me.

We'll see. I had a pretty good roll, using a force power for seeing the surroundings of people (regardless of their force sensitivity). Though I was aiming to locate you, so its a different use than written. I'll even toss in a force point if Narrow wants to use the power that way.

Of course, if it works as written, at best I'll see a 6 square radius of jungle around you, BUT I'll know you are alive and in the jungle. (Of course if time is not the same, I could see you and injured Zyra and know to bring med supplies and look for a cave)

But can you actually aim at me when you haven't even meet me before? It sounds a little to overpowered... I know there is Force Powers to do that so if you can do it with a use the force check the power is useless.

Farseeing Sense the surrounding of someone you know or have meet before. P.96 core book

Edit: My mistake, I missed you used a power and thought you where using the Use the force skill bonus to detect a target. :P With that role you easily beat his will and should see him if only Dorat allow you to use it as you haven't meet him.