Notices

Rose Starke

Rose Starke

Please post your char here, this will be the place to discuss it and it's development.

Rose Starke (see that link for "mundane" character sheet)

Stat Blocks

Rose Starke [650]

Equipment

This is really well put together. There are still some things that need tightening up just a little bit.

Social Stigma (Minor) is a campaign disadvantage. We all have it, but don't get points for it. It's generally balanced out by a low level patron in the form of parents.

I'm sure you've seen the post, but Krys has said that Regrowth is worth 10 cp.

Rose spends 4 points to raise to raise 2 Hard techniques by one level. It'd be more efficient to spend those 4 points to raise her Wrestling skill. Your skill level with those techniques wouldn't change, you'd be better at everything else, and you'd get +1 to ST for grappling purposes.

You could define Super Climbing and both forms of Terrain Adaption as alternate abilities, although you may have already rejected that possibility.

I notice that neither Rose, Rose Quartz, or Dusty Rose have a ranged attack. Intentional omission?

For Rose Quartz:

You might want to give some thought to purchasing a striker, defined as sharp crystal extending from your arm or something. It's four extra base damage, which a little better than another dice of damage. At the very least take the Striking Surface perk (from Supers and Power Ups: Perks) so that your fists count as brass knuckles.

Instead of buying lots of Hard To Kill/Subdue, try buying straight HT and selling back the extra basic speed. It's only an extra point per level, and the fringe benefits are great. Heck, if you sell of the extra FP, it's actually cheaper.

For Dusty Rose:

If she doesn't have a head or eyes, she probably doesn't have a neck either, and should have the appropriate Injury Tolerance.

Thank you for the commentary and suggestions! I'm going to hold off on any changes until Krys gives the final word on multiplicative modifiers. Some specific responses follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connington View Post
Social Stigma (Minor) is a campaign disadvantage.
Yep. That's why the base character is 146 points rather than 150; -5 for Social Stigma (Minor) and +1 for the free point in Area Knowledge (Spring Creek). Sorry; I should have made that more clear on the sheet or in notes.

Quote:
I'm sure you've seen the post, but Krys has said that Regrowth is worth 10 cp.
Yes, that and multiplicative modifiers should save several points! So... make Regeneration better or buy some stat increases? :-)

Quote:
It'd be more efficient to spend those 4 points to raise her Wrestling skill.... You could define Super Climbing and both forms of Terrain Adaption as alternate abilities....
Those are both excellent points. Thanks!

Quote:
I notice that neither Rose, Rose Quartz, or Dusty Rose have a ranged attack. Intentional omission?
It didn't seem to "feel" quite right, I had trouble coming up with something "in theme" (other than manifesting rocks to hurl), and it threatened to take points away from other advantages like added ST and DR, which I already feel may be slightly on the low side for the character concept (though I have no idea how to judge appropriate/relative levels).

I figured the lack may give room for other PCs to shine, and Rose Quartz can always throw objects in the environment if it becomes important. That said, I don't want to build in a deficiency which leaves the character behind. Any advice?

Quote:
You might want to give some thought to purchasing a striker, defined as sharp crystal extending from your arm or something.
A striker is an entire extra limb isn't it? I'd have to describe it as a pseudo-scorpion tail or something, which starts to infringe on the mental image of a blocky humanoid figure. Is there a graceful way to add such a spur? (Come to think of it, that's what Claws are for, isn't it? Hmmm....)

Quote:
At the very least take the Striking Surface perk (from Supers and Power Ups: Perks) so that your fists count as brass knuckles.
Oooh, good point! Will do!

Quote:
Instead of buying lots of Hard To Kill/Subdue, try buying straight HT and selling back the extra basic speed. It's only an extra point per level, and the fringe benefits are great. Heck, if you sell of the extra FP, it's actually cheaper.
Interesting. I'll have to see what the math looks like on that, but it sounds like a good idea. I haven't played with the entire idea of buying up primary attributes and buying down their secondaries, though I've seen violent arguments about IQ! and the like on the SJG forums in the past.

Quote:
For Dusty Rose: If she doesn't have a head or eyes, she probably doesn't have a neck either, and should have the appropriate Injury Tolerance.
Do you think she needs it? Doesn't Breathe would seem to prevent asphyxiation and choking, and I figured Injury Tolerance (No Head) probably already precluded decapitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryzarius View Post
Do you think she needs it? Doesn't Breathe would seem to prevent asphyxiation and choking, and I figured Injury Tolerance (No Head) probably already precluded decapitation.
It doesn't prevent attacks to the neck, so I agree with Connington, you should use the few points to get rid of the neck.

EDIT: I make it a point not to get into extended arguments with a gamemaster, who I think should have the final say without any player grumbling, so this will be my only pursuit of the "No Neck" issue, after which I will accept Krys' decision.

The only possible purposes for neck attacks would be extra wounding multipliers as in Campaigns p. 399 (averted by Injury Tolerance (Diffuse)), the "special effect" chance for decapitation on a killing cutting blow (prevented by Injury Tolerance (No Head)), and the opportunity for choking or asphyxiation (negated by Doesn't Breathe). So, even if someone did attack Dusty Rose's supposed "neck," they wouldn't gain any benefit from it.

I'll take Injury Tolerance (No Neck) if you feel it necessary but, as I read the rules, it seems highly redundant with my existing advantage purchases.

(End EDIT)

Oh, a question: in my mental conception, Rose Quartz is really heavy. Is there a disadvantage to represent that, sort of like Third Edition's "Inconvenient Size" disadvantage?

I suppose extreme weight could just be a zero-point "special feature" (like Doesn't Float which, come to think of it, I should specifically take), but it seems like it could come up often enough (carrying capacity for rescuers or vehicles; walking on rope bridges or rotted floorboards or rooftops) to be worth a few negative points.

My mistake. Injury Tolerance Diffuse already includes all others. Remove No Eyes, no Head, you automatically don't have any. Remember that you still can be blinded, though not by an attack to your eyes, but by light only.

Concerning infiltration: do you realy want it?

Concerning weight, I'll have a look if there is something in the rules, else we'll handle it similar to Gigantism or such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
My mistake. Injury Tolerance Diffuse already includes all others. Remove No Eyes, no Head, you automatically don't have any. Remember that you still can be blinded, though not by an attack to your eyes, but by light only.
Well, now let me use my single response to argue against my own benefit. Sure, I'd take the points... but Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) specifically includes only No Blood, No Brain, and No Vitals. Even though crippling is impossible, I figured No Eyes made some sense since Dusty is basically a distributed sensor net; you're unlikely to be able to blind all the pieces at once! Face attacks do give a -5 to knockdown rolls, presumably because of shock/startle reflexes, so I thought it wasn't an unreasonable requirement to take since Dusty really is a diffuse cloud rather than a man-shaped swarm.

Quote:
Concerning infiltration: do you realy want it?
Well, I didn't take Permeation for the "Dusty" form, and it seemed to make sense with the concept (tiny flakes of mica-like mineral floating in air).

*sigh* I just shouldn't answer late at night. OK, let's see. Yes, you are right, no eyes does prove a disadvantage, due to not being able to be blinded. But following the same line, you should take no neck as well. If I compare Diffuse [10] with the cost of the other ITs, I'd say: just subsume the others.