Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Character Inconsistencies for the sake of Plot

Pfft, they wrote star wars novels. The vast majority were basically on par with poorly written internet fanfics. Except the grammar. That was actually fairly average for cheaply made based in the universe of books.

Also- for others' reference- I've read a few of those books. You're talking about the Thrawn series. By Timothy Zahn. Who I would consider a pretty good writer. Except every book he writes has some character with some savant like power to predict the actions of others that borders upon pre/omniscience. Quite Mary-Sue-esque in its own right. It's not terribly obvious if you only read one of his books. But. Every. Book. He. Writes. Has. That. Character.

Now that you mention it tana, I guess I do have unrealistic expectations for franchiaes. I remember being thoroughly entertained by tsr novels when I was twelve. Today I would probably lose a bet if I had to read through one without complaining.

Hah. One of these days, I'm going to hire someone like you to read my manuscripts. Because if it can get past your standards with only a few dents in the armor, it's a very solid story.

here are a few inconsistancies you might also look at.

Storm Trooper Marksmanship Academy.. Ben Kenobi comments on how accurate the blast marks are. Later a large group of heroes are missed by every single storm trooper.

bullet-proof nudity.. Cuz rambo can stand out in the open and fire a million bullets killing everything, but no one can hit him because he is not wearing a shirt...

Well, in the case of Rambo, it's not that the bullets weren't fired accurately, it's that the bullets are ... AFRAID! (so they veer off at the last moment)

sounds like we are headed to troperville with this discussion.

Tropes, memes, and cliches themselves are not bad, but they are frequently mishandled by amateur writers.

I guess I just get bothered when someone is supposedly earning a paycheck and produces something equivalent to what I wrote in elementary school. Granted I had a college reading level then, won several writing awards and later received a title from the ILP, but still, if someone is going to be a professional they should perform like one.

To be clear, I'm not down on everything, just most stuff

@vox, as mentioned, there was no lead up for this. It was actually considered by the reader to be a total non-sequitor that broke the willing suspension of disbelief.

In the previous examples you gave, these weaknesses were eluded to prior to the endgame, and in this case it was not so, hence my judgement call and call for the use of foreshadowing to fix the situation, which is exactly what happened in the stories you mentioned.

My verdict still stands uninterrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post

I guess I just get bothered when someone is supposedly earning a paycheck and produces something equivalent to what I wrote in elementary school. Granted I had a college reading level then, won several writing awards and later received a title from the ILP, but still, if someone is going to be a professional they should perform like one.

To be clear, I'm not down on everything, just most stuff
*gapes* Jesus, LT, what are you? Like a genius or something? LOL!

@Vox: Those examples are explicable because of human passion. We all understand what's it's like to get angry under certain circumstances, so there is no breaking of the suspension of disbelief, even if the character has been calm and collected otherwise throughout the story. Thanks, though.

That and, let's face it, up until that point Achilles never really had a *reason* to be truly angered. He'd had a truly charmed life, by the standards and ideals of the era and writer. And then someone comes along and butchers his best friend/lover/whatever they were exactly. Yeah... he got a little pissed... and yeah, he paid for it, because of his arrogance and pride.

In the Thrawn series- they had *none* of those allusions, buildups and potential flaws. There were no hints. No possible justifications or leadups. Now, while I agree that some things can come out of nowhere (the Grand Canyon- a mile deep cliff in the middle of a rather flat field- who'dathunkit)... but, seriously, it was just not good writing. The guy had already proven himself superior to far better plans and surprises than what eventually brought him down. This wasn't even "War of the Worlds" random defeat... this wasn't even "rock falls, everyone dies"... this was something on par with "batman gets ass kicked by ordinary unarmed thug".