Gondor: the Fourth Age--adventure, intrigue, and possibly assassination

Old Aug 7 '11, 11:02pm
Great Wyrm

Gondor: the Fourth Age--adventure, intrigue, and possibly assassination

A Game of Gondor's Thrones - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire
Ad Closes: Aug 30 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 3

"It's not quite like the old days, boy. Elessar's gone, and so are the elves. We're scrubbing out the last bits of light-forsaken Morgul. It's a new age, a world of men, and that means that there's ugly things happening. There's people talking about trouble stirring...and there's ambitions on the rise. Even worse, King Eldarion still hasn't gotten a child by the Queen. If anything should happen to him, I fear for Gondor."

The Premise
"A Game of Gondor's Thrones" is set in J.R.R. Tolkien's realm of Gondor in the Fourth Age of Middle-Earth, in the year 198. The events of The Lord of the Rings happened almost two centuries ago, and the magic of Middle-Earth has been fast fading. The elves are gone from Middle-Earth, those who fought in the War of the Ring have perished, and the kingdom of Gondor is united, though the ties which hold it together are strained.

There are also murmurs and threats of darker happenings. The Haradrim are stirring in the south, the corsairs have begun raiding the coasts of Gondor again, and there are rumors that a dark terror still dwells in the deepest pits of Mordor. Some even say that the once-glorious Lothlorien has become haunted by fell spirits. The world has begun to grow dark, with only the fighting spirit of mankind to light the way.

In essence, this game lies somewhere between "A Game of Thrones" and "The Return of the King".

RulesetThis game will use Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying, with some houserules to adjust it to the world of Gondor, in the Fourth Age. See the forum for details.

Free Quickstart PDF (contains all the rules you'll need to play)

The Characters
The characters in this game will be from a single house; all houses are listed in the game forum. They can be of any character type; there'll be a mix of intrigue, venturing, and a small bit of combat...though I must warn you, combat can be very lethal, and prone to leaving scars. The premise for the characters is simple: they have all come to Minas Tirith on some errand for their house. That's when things begin to get complicated...

Application Process
I just want to see a few things for your application. Some of the character creation will be done after players are accepted (looking for 3-4), so the application process will be a little different. I want to make sure that players are solid roleplayers, with a strong grasp on what makes the human drama of this type of game tick. So, here's what I want you to do.

Give the type of character you'd want to play (Fighter, Scoundrel, Diplomat, Spy, Scholar, Knight, Scout, Noble, etc.), and give the House that you'd prefer to be a member of. Note that House Steward is comprised almost solely of sworn Rangers. If you'd rather play a member of the Royal Court, then say so; this does not count as a house, and you'd be tagging along with the members of a house, for some reason.

Finally, I want you to write the last moments of an original character who died in one of the famous battles of the War of the Ring. Make up a name, a nationality, a brief history, whatever you need to write that roleplaying sample. Make it to-the-point, and filled with character. I want you to demonstrate a firm and mature understanding of mortality and its role in the story. After all, death will happen, and usually not when expected.

[b]Character Type:[/b]
[b]Preferred House:[/b]
[spoiler="Memento Mori (Roleplaying Sample)"][/spoiler]

Let me know if you have any questions! All applications go in the appropriate thread. Now, for Gondor!

Answers to Questions Asked:

Q1. I'm new to this system but I am interested in learning it, if you are accepting new players to the system? (weded)
Definitely! There's a hefty set of quickstart rules from Green Ronin lifted straight from the core book. They give you everything you need to play; all that's missing is character creation rules, which I can definitely help with.

Q2. First big question in my mind is the idea of fostering. Can our characters be fostered to the house we are representing, and not actually members of that house? (Wolf Lord)
Definitely. You'd be acting as a representative of your foster house, as you noted, with the opportunity to earn them Glory and Gold rewards (or to keep such rewards for yourself!), with the ability to write up a little background for your birth house. Plus, can anyone say "plot hook"?

Q3. Do Gondorian houses host tourneys? (the_JJ)
Yes, they do! I neglected to put that in the "Chivalry" and "Culture" threads, but I'll go do that now.

Q4. First, is there slave labour going on? Or has there been slave labour at some point? And second, are there prejudices against the Southrons, such that they couldn't hold any lands or titles? (Saith)
Slave labor has been outlawed by Elessar and Eldarion, but Umbar and Harad still have some manner of slavery, though Gondor has tried to squash it. And while prejudice against Southrons wouldn't bar them from gaining titles or lands, they would have to swear fealty to the King and become subjects of Gondor to do so.

Game Description:

[Currently under construction]

"A Game of Gondor's Thrones" is an imagining of the Fourth Age of Middle-Earth, focused on the kingdom of Gondor, but with an approach similar to George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Houses vie for influence over the throne of Gondor, and now that the War of the Ring has passed into history, men are beginning to grow petty, vying for dominance over one another, splintering the unity of the realm united by Elessar.

Eldarion, son of Elessar, holds the throne, but will he keep it? Amidst all the plottings, a new shadow also seeks to rise up...

Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; Aug 10 '11 at 4:03pm..
I'm new to this system but I am interested in learning it, if you are accepting new players to the system?

Most definitely. That's why I stuck the Quickstart PDF up there; it should give you enough to work on, rules-wise, along with some stuff on character creation that I've got. What I'm looking for is people dedicated to weaving a story.

I'm reading through the forum to see if this game is what I am hoping for. I'm a fan of both LOTR and A Song of Ice and Fire (though I will admit to being disappointed with aspects of the last two books) so this could well be my ideal game.

Color me interested for the moment while I read what the forum says and cobble together ideas for a character that could fit into your vision.

First big question in my mind is the idea of fostering. Can our characters be fostered to the house we are representing, and not actually members of that house?

Cool, lemme know! I was aiming to put some heraldry in for the main houses, but I haven't got around to that just yet. What I really like about ASOIAF is the dynamic that it has between the intrigue and plotting of the humans in this human-centric world...and the darker supernatural forces that are encroaching on it, slowly but surely. When I looked at Lord of the Rings, the Fourth Age of Gondor jumped out at me as a perfect fit.

Fostering is definitely an option. The first word that jumps to mind is "ward", but I recall that in the book...wards were political hostages. I think there was another term for the non-hostages, the ones that were sent to other houses to strengthen political ties. But yes. As a representative of that house, you'd still technically belong to your foster house, with the option to invest Glory and Gold in them for their benefit.

Sweet. The specific incident I'm thinking of actually is Eddard Stark and Robert Barratheon fostered at the Aerie under the tutelage of Jon Arryn. Everything I've been able to hunt down still calls them wards, but we all know how reliable the internet is.

Anyway, awesome to know as it gives me one more line of approach as I think over these things.

Right now I'm thinking on the roleplaying snippet as much as the character.

never played the system but the world sounds fun. Looking into it now.

System looked nice, I think I put some application for this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Lord View Post
Sweet. The specific incident I'm thinking of actually is Eddard Stark and Robert Barratheon fostered at the Aerie under the tutelage of Jon Arryn. Everything I've been able to hunt down still calls them wards, but we all know how reliable the internet is.
Could be a vague enough term that it applies to both. (I think I was just thinking of boys being sent to another house to be squired there. That may have been the "other term". In which case, they probably still count as wards.)

rob98926 and Tonizio: Thanks for the interest!

posted an application.. Thou, I´m total noob when it comes to this System..and I need all help on char creation.