Notices

Rival High: Season 2 (Mid-Semester Migration!)

Old Aug 12 '11, 8:34pm
Eternal Gamer

Rival High: Season 2 (Mid-Semester Migration!)

Rival High - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 2e
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Rival High

The setting of Rival High is deceivingly simple in it's complexity. Take an anime high school, fill it with literally every anime trope in existence and pray it entertains before exploding. That would be the simple part; time for the complex bit.

Rival High is based in Kaisenkyo, Japan. The High School itself is called Dischord High. In this school the students are standard teens between the ages of 13-18 coming from all walks of life. Each has their own motivation and their own special traits. All is fairly normal at first... until Club Day begins. After the rain of orbital lasers, mystical spells and shuriken come to an end the various clubs advertise in their designated spots. This is where the true mayhem of the school comes forth.

Each club advertises a unique learning experience for it's members. To cite a few examples, the Engineering Club consists of various techno-crazed members wielding a variety of mecha and super-tech weaponry normally restricted to military use. The Ancient Studies Club boasts great and powerful magics and bring to bear enormous summons and eldritch powers not seen in thousands of years (besides every day of school o course). The Sports Coalition is comprised of each and every sport known to man, their arsenal of exploding volleyballs and golf ball mortars bring a whole new definition to competitive play.

There are dozens of clubs within the school, each scrabbling for members that best fit their type. Once enlisted the club offers it's resources to it's new recruits and the war begins. Though the clubs have been known to work together occasionally in the past, they are incredibly competitive and petty, each striving to gather power while diminishing the rest in a battle for dominance. Above it all is the Student Council, structured with the tactical brilliance of a master chess player referred to as the King. They strive to keep order in the school and often interfere with club politics in subtle ways. Their lowest tier of henchmen - known as checkers - are a constant thorn in the side of all club members and will actively seek to disrupt any disruptions no matter how fun they may have been.

Beyond the clubs is the school's staff itself. Most of the staff have graduated not only from Mercy High itself but it's larger and more looming version Peace University. As such the teachers are suitably feared. The janitorial staff is only a rumor as none have seen any of the elusive Ninja Janitors that maintain the school. The principal is akin to a god in status, held to an untouchable status while feared and loathed in equal amounts.

With all that said, one must imagine Giant Mecha battling genki Magical Girls! Stealthy Ninja fighting swarthy Pirates! High school drama mixed with epic combat combined with childish antics and silliness. THAT is Rival High! Take a trope, run with it and see how far you get before exploding!

Tropes associate with Rival High

Though any and all trope can be found in the setting, there are a few that are near-mandatory.

Club Uniform - Every member has an associated uniform of their own design. Simply put it's their "main character" outfit, different than their school uniform. Whenever they wish to use their abilities or resources of the club, there's generally a scene where they switch outfits. This can range from a magical girl's transformation or simply grabbing the shoulder and pulling it off in a clean whoosh to reveal their Uniform beneath. No matter how ridiculous or over the top it is, every club member has one.

Simple Goal Overcomplicated - Whether you're defusing an atomic bomb or simply trying to sneak into class late, every obstacle is always super important to the character. No matter the mundanity of the punishment for failure it should always be a 200% degree of effort to succeed, such is the flavour of the setting. Example: Keichi is trying to get into class before Ryu-Sensei-Sensei does attendance. Ryu-Sensei-Sensei is at the door though, watching with steely eyes for any late students. With extreme effort, Keichi sneaks up into the ceiling tiles and stealthily attempts to sneak through the ceiling to enter above the classroom before repelling down on zipcord into his chair, all without Ryu-Sensei-Sensei noticing! Tension! Drama! What terrible risk! See what I mean?

Non-Lethal Madness - Though you may have a super-laser capable of exploding the moon or a spell that calls forth a volcano to pour magma on your enemies, it will never kill a person. Totally immersed in lava? They dash out all red and with their bums on fire. Beamed with super-macross cannon? Charred black with wide eyes and comedic smoke cough. You may be crazy, but you're not murderers >_>

Collateral Damage? Better not get Caught! - Going crazy with the macross cannon? Decided that volcanoes are fun? During the battle they work great... but the aftermath is still there. If you just beamed the crap out of the schoolyard, you'd best get out of there fast before you get stuck filling in the crater. What's that? Got lava on the principal's car? Better get to work buffing that out... with a toothbrush... with 2 bristles... There are downsides to using your crazy powers. Use them as you see fit, but be wary of the repercussions.

Game Related Stuff

This game will be run via a program called MapTool with posts made on Myth-Weavers to supplement the sessions. It will happen every Friday from 2pm EST, ending whenever I'm permitted to sleep >_> I'm looking for anywhere between 2-4 more players.

PL is 10, and you guys are all first year students transferring to Discord High for the second semester of the first year!

Character-wise, I have the following requirements:

Name:
Eye Colour:
Height/Weight:
Related Tropes: This is for the ease of understanding your character in a nutshell.
Family/Friends/Guardian Equivalent:
Desired Club:
Personality:
Backstory:
Power Concept/Theme: Giant mecha? Sentai Rangers? Magical Girl powers? Eldritch sorcery? What's your poison?

Note: Permission has been obtained to run this hybrid game (though I forgot at first X_X)

Game Description:

Rival High

As you rush around the corner you see the school gates closing, the chimes of the bell spelling your demise. Toast hanging from your mouth, you mumble a silent curse before veering off towards the parking lot to avoid being spotted by the red and black 'armbands'. Tossing your pack in the air, fabric flutters as you discard your stuff uniform for your true attire. The ground warps as you chant your spell and stone hands propell you over the wall. The fountain splashes up to cushion your landing as you rush forwards. The armbands stand before you to block your way but before you can stop a blast of energy brightens the morning sky. As the turbines spin down your classmate hops out of his power armor, it folding away into his backpack as you continue onward. An open window provides you entrance as another friend ducks your leap. The Uniform swap takes but a moment as you dash out of the bathroom towards the stairs. The final bell chimes as you arrive at the classes door and slam head first into a wall of teacher. Looking up with terror you and your ally see your reflections in Sensei's glasses. Your worst dreams have come to life... Detention!

Before I do a full write-up, lemee run my concept by you.

Uber-nerd magician Wierdness Magnet with an Elder God for a bound sidekick. Only problem is that his Elder God is a lazy slacker (why do you think he spends all his time dead and dreaming at his house at Orly? (Sorry.)) Central themes are those of a fairly typical anime protagonist: He's basically a savant extremely capable in his one area (magic) and massively inept in all others (especially social skills.) Great Kalulu (Sorry again, but I can't resist the temptation to poke Lovecraft's corpse,) serves as his foil/pocket Deus Ex Machina. Mostly, I enjoy playing the associated tropes and writing snarky banter.

Questions/comments/concerns?

Hey Whiteknight, this is one of the current players speaking. Given the stakes and enemy, an Elder God might be a bit weird to integrate into the campaign (the whole "beings from a world beyond our own" thing is kinda covered, though not exactly). Also, we have two mages (and a third guy who has enough INT and JoAT to make for a passable replacement when there's RP reasons for it), so you'll have to do a lot of work to make that extra expertise count. Beyond that that seems like an interesting concept...we have a super heroic pilot, a magnificent bastard, an everylady, and a slightly goofy genderflipper, so a snarker would fill a missing hole nicely, come to think of it.

This game sounds like a blast, but the requirement of meeting online once a week made me back out of the idea of making a character. I like playing on MW because the story progresses throughout the week. Turning it into a once-per-week campaign sort of defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
Hey Whiteknight, this is one of the current players speaking. Given the stakes and enemy, an Elder God might be a bit weird to integrate into the campaign (the whole "beings from a world beyond our own" thing is kinda covered, though not exactly)
The Elder God I have in mind is more along the lines of something like Reynardine from Gunerkrigg court than your typical unknowable alien entity. He's mostly a typical dude except for those wierd bits where he reminds you he isn't. Just having Cthulhu as a buddy wouldn't be interesting, because Cthulhu is a plot device, not a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
This game sounds like a blast, but the requirement of meeting online once a week made me back out of the idea of making a character. I like playing on MW because the story progresses throughout the week. Turning it into a once-per-week campaign sort of defeats the purpose.
That's what the inter-session RP thread is for, though.

Quote:
The Elder God I have in mind is more along the lines of something like Reynardine from Gunerkrigg court than your typical unknowable alien entity. He's mostly a typical dude except for those wierd bits where he reminds you he isn't. Just having Cthulhu as a buddy wouldn't be interesting, because Cthulhu is a plot device, not a character.
Ahh, that makes more sense. The Deus Ex Machina comment fooled me, that's all.

Quote:
That's what the inter-session RP thread is for, though.
Oh, so it's not "instead of," it's "in addition to"?

No, the weekly game is the centerpiece, but the inter-session threads help fill things out. Think of them as action and contemplation, if you will.

Quote:
Ahh, that makes more sense. The Deus Ex Machina comment fooled me, that's all.
Kalulu would be more along the lines of a "secret weapon" - I.E. at a critical moment he can be unsealed and go into giant monster mode if it would be appropriate in RP terms and make the story more entertaining.