Chapter 1 - Adrift

 
Brenden MorriThe moment his ropes fell free he tore the gag from his mouth and slid towards the back of the boat, grabbing the side with one hand to steady himself while bearing the other in a fist toward the distant Sea Breeze. His voice rose over the slap of water against their vessel, growing in intensity as he spoke.

"Yeah, you better run! Don't ever stop running! You are dead men!" By the end his shouting caused his voice to break and he coughed into his sleeve several times before slumping down into the back of the longboat. After a moment of collecting himself he eased back towards the others to make sure everyone is free, gathering the sections of rope and stowing them next to the food. Snatching up his gag, he dipped it into the sea water and wrung it out over the side.

"My head feels three times two small for my skull but I don't think I'm going to die from it." He dabbed at the drying blood on his forehead with the rag, working it clean carefully and grimacing at the attempt. His attention shifted to gnome, noticing the deeply uncharacteristic stillness to him. Prodding him gently with an elbow, he lowered his voice to something just louder than a whisper. "We'll get her back. There isn't a stretch of water on Golarion that they can hide from us."

Griselda

Griselda reeled as she was dragged to the deck. The chaos, the noise, the darkness. It brought back hard memory of the day she had arrived on the ship, though that day the fighting had been on land and the ship had been a refuge. To have that refuge stripped from her so abruptly almost plunged her back into panic. Mercifully she had become stronger since that day, and unlike that day she still had her memories this time, at least of her life about this ship.

When she saw the ships surgeon, a kindly halfling who had never done anything other than try and help people, her confusion gave way to anger. What kind of barbarians were these men to treat the ship's doctor so roughly?

Then a chill crept down her spine. No crewman would willingly offend the ship's surgeon lest he pay for it later with his life when he most needed treatment. Nor for that matter would a sensible crewman manhandle the ship's carpenter. Wooden ships always sprung leaks, especially during storms. This meant that the mutineers, for so they eveidently were, had no intention of keeping them in service. At that moment, Griselda was sure they would die, and attempted to regain her focus enough to try and free herself.

But then Rytur spoke, more or less at the same time as Griselda noticed the corpse of the former captain. Griselda had not liked the man much, his views on women rankled. But he had given her a berth when she arrived that night, and she had had no skills to speak of but he was willing to let her learn. Though he was unfair to the women Griselda had always resolved to strive to prove him wrong by striving to excel at her work to the point where she hoped he would no longer be able to deny her merit. Certainly he had not deserved to be butchered on the deck of his own ship by his own crewmen.

And Rytur. She had liked him. He had kept the rougher sorts away from her when she arrived, when she was too weak and confused to look after herself. She had never expected him to betray her. Griselda did not know why, but found it hard to hate him. Maybe he did have some overiding reason though she could not imagine what that could be.

She heard him mention the food and the longboat. Her mind, troubled as it was, remained as sharp as a blade, and though her panic came to some conclusions that it fed her whether she cared to listen or not.

A longboat had limited range especially with no way to guage direction. A ship also had limited range, especially after offloading most of her crew including vital crewmembers. You also did not waste food and fresh water on people you meant to kill.

So, the conclusion was obvious. The Sea Breeze meant to put ashore very soon to replace the crew it had just evicted. Shore could not be far, so the longboat should be able to make it.

Thoughts fled again for a while as she was picked up and dumped into the longboat still tied. She struggled again to regain calm to try and free herself but it proved unnecessary as she is freed by one of the others.

Noting the coming dawn, Griselda shivered. After years of having a home and some kind of certainty she was adrift once more. Literally so.


Cricket fails to respond to Brenden's coaxing, continuing to stare after the departing ship. The sun slowly rises above the horizon as the longboat drifts, the Sea Breeze lost in it's brilliance. four foot swells make it difficult to see anything while sitting in the boat, and standing or moving about for any length of time is
DC 10 acrobatics
difficult.

A quick inventory of the supplies reveals three days of food and water for those aboard. Rytur seemed to have given them the best of the foodstuffs as well, nothing overripe or rotten. Six oars are shipped at the sides, all in good condition. The rest of the crew, on the other hand, is not so well off. Garnett, the tough, olf half-elf took a hell of a beating as they tried to subdue him to get him into the boat. Bruises and lacerations mark his face and arms, his nightshirt is torn and there is terrible bruising on his ribs. Avedis, the halfling surgeon, is unmarked aside from a massive bruise on the side of his head but unconscious. Cricket is physically fine, but severely distraught by the events of the mutiny.


Griselda

Griselda, shocked into silence by the situation does what she can to busy her mind, which in this case means work. She examines the longboat to make sure it is seaworthy and has no leaks, using her best
Dice Roll: 1d20+8z
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 26)
carpenters (26) eye to look for faults.



Brenden Morri"She's a bit smaller than the Breeze but she's made just as sturdy. We could even shred our clothing and make rigging for Cricket to sleep in if we had the mind to." Settling for making sure the gnome is comfortable and secure, Brenden sets to work on the oars. He keeps an eye on the horizon and the sky for signs of bad weather or landfall. As the day drags on his mood begins to brighten and he adds the occasional song to help keep rhythm to the rowing.


Not only is the longboat in immaculate condition, it looks to have been recently patched in one weak spot. One of the mutineers came aboard as a deckhand, but rumor had that he was a shipwright. He denied this to any who approached him, but these repairs were done by an expert, and only a highly trained eye could have spotted the stress point... and then only if they were looking for it.

Griselda

Seeing the expertise of the work, Griselda draws the obvious conclusion, though she does not find it especially reassuring.

Finding her voice again for the first time since the incident she says aloud...

'This was not a spur of the moment mutiny. It was planned a good deal of time in advance. Only a master craftsman could have carried out the repairs I see on this boat, and it was not I who did them. The mutineers have sneaked people to replace us into the crew. No shipwright is going to take a deckhands wages without a reason, and the one who did this claimed to be a deckhand. I'm willing to bet another deckhand was really a surgeon too. Also, remember what Rytur said. He said he didnt want any ship, it had to be the Sea Breeze. Sounds mighty odd to me.'


Rollo 'The Marlin'Once free, Rollo set about trying to
Heal:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 16)
ease any of Garnett's pains; the only thing distracting him from this duty was when Brenden suggested tearing clothes to rig a makeshift sail, as it conjured images of Tempest and Griselda that were unwanted. Well, not entirely unwanted.

He was just as eager to make land and start the recovery of the sea breeze, but first he wanted to get his
Survival:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5
d20 Results: 13 (Total = 18)
bearings to figure out which direction to head in, and gain any information as to their current location.


Tempest Stormborn

Freed from the binds and gag Tempest sits still a moment as the boat rocks with the movement of others and their words wash over the waves and her disbelieving mind. With a little shake of the head she refocuses, takes a deep breath and then looks about her, trying to
Unable to find the game forum
assess the situation. The would need to try and reach land before their supply ran out, take into account the whims of the
Nature1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 23)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+2
Original Dice: 1d20+2
Nature2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 23)
Nature3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 17 (Total = 22)
ocean and the weather, their
Geography1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1z
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 6)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+5z
Original Dice: 1d20+5z
Geography2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1z
d20 Results: 20 (Total = 21)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+3z
Original Dice: 1d20+3z
Geography3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1z
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 2)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+3z
Original Dice: 1d20+3z
last known position to anywhere...she
will1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3z
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
will2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3z
d20 Results: 3 (Total = 6)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+2z
Original Dice: 1d20+2z
will3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3z
d20 Results: 20 (Total = 23)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+2z
Original Dice: 1d20+2z
pushed aside the worrying sensation of growing panic. No they would find a way...they would make it to shore...
fortitude1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2z
d20 Results: 15 (Total = 17)
fortitude2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2z
d20 Results: 7 (Total = 9)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+8z
Original Dice: 1d20+8z
fortitude3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2z
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 6)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+8z
Original Dice: 1d20+8z
alive. With renewed sense of feeling
survival1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+8z
d20 Results: 10 (Total = 18)
survival2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+8z
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 19)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+5z
Original Dice: 1d20+5z
survival3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+8z
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 9)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+5z
Original Dice: 1d20+5z
profession Sailor1:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 3 (Total = 8)
profession Sailor2:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 8 (Total = 13)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+6
Original Dice: 1d20+6
profession Sailor3:
Dice Roll:
1d20+5z
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 10)
she racked her brains for solutions.

With that she saw Rollo move to help Garnett and she did like wise to she what
Unable to find the game forum
could be done for Avedis, with little in the way of medical help she could rely only on what she had learned from her mother and for Avedis himself, which now seemed a little lacking.

The words of the others sunk in and she added We'll likely need to ration out what we have as best we can, head for shore, then we'll need a ship...they'll have a heck of a head start... she spoke offhandedly no question in her mind the others were coming with her or she with them. Honour demanded it, there was a debt due and they would collect. For a moment she seemed far away as she spoke.



sorry for the attack of the cursed blue tags and extra [ in my codes messed it all up when I removed it

ooc
These dice sets were omitted or moved: 1d20+5z, 1d20+6

Raphaela

With her hands free, Raphaela thought there could be more she could. But as she stood and watched the Sea Breeze shranked away into the horizon; taking her will with it. She realized there was nothing she could do and that she had just lost a treasure with no value as well as failing her grandfathers dying wish. The sea was so vast and her knowledge of it so little. She knew one thing however... they were likely to die out here. With that thought she fell on her ass, like a sack of flour, causing the boat to teeter dangerously. She didn't care though, as she stared helplessly into the distance; all the while disgust grew within her at own despair causing her face to go stern as her jaws clenched.Though Raphaela usually enjoyed Brenden's company, she did not appreciate his attempt to make light of the situation. Though she said nothing.

"Waught would you know." Raphaela said scornfully at what Griselda thought of the mutiny. As Tempest spoke of what they needed to do, Raphaela scoffed and smiled sardonically. "Ration food an head to tha shore? Brilliant! I'm sure no one figured dat, you cleva girl. Hmph?" And with that, Raphaela returned her gaze to the horizon seemingly amused.


Dice Roll: 1d20+2
d20 Results: 17 (Total = 19)
Initiative
Dice Roll: 1d20
d20 Results: 7
Fort
Dice Roll: 1d20
d20 Results: 17
Ti
Dice Roll: 1d20
d20 Results: 6
Tude
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 10 (Total = 11)
Will
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 19)
Will
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 2 (Total = 3)
Will
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 7 (Total = 8)
Sailor
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 2)
Sailor
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 5)
Sailor
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 7)
Nature
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 15 (Total = 18)
Nature
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 7)
Nature
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 19 (Total = 22)
Geo
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 14 (Total = 17)
Geo
Dice Roll: 1d20+3
d20 Results: 2 (Total = 5)
Geo
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 12)
Survival
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 19 (Total = 20)
Survival
Dice Roll: 1d20+1
d20 Results: 15 (Total = 16)
Survival




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Blog   Myth-Weavers Status