Notices

Infinity

Old Sep 12 '11, 6:30am
Young Dragon

Infinity

GURPS: Infinity - Forum
GURPS - Infinite Worlds
Estimated Members Requested: 4

I will answer questions here. Please put applications in the thread linked below.

Thanks for looking.

Game Description:

Inifinity
The Infinity holds countless worlds within itself. Some are pastoral and peaceful, others filled with blood and war. All are linked, and all are held true by the Center.

The legends say that if ever a man comes to control the Center, he shall have power over all the worlds in the Infinity. Such a man could be a great boon to all life, or he could be a terrible tyrant. The legends are true, of course, as they so often are, but the way to the Center is arduous and long, and few have come close to it.

Some say that whenever the Center is threatened, the Infinity summons champions to defend itself, setting them on a course to battle those that might seek to control the Center. How it does this, or indeed what the Center is, is a mystery to the wise. In some worlds, stories are told of great battles to determine the fate of countless worlds. Others know nothing of the Infinity or their place in it. All, however, are a part of the Infinity, and so linked to the Center.

The Game
Infinity is a GURPS 4th Edition game centering on a group of champions that will be summoned by Infinity to combat a threat to the Center. Characters will be drawn from disparate worlds, with no knowledge of each other and little, if any, knowledge of the Infinity or the greater scheme of creation.

Characters will begin the game in their own world and will be brought together through the course of play.

Misc
GM: Dyrnwyn (that's me)
Number of Players: 4-6. May go with less. Will not go with more.

The Rules
Infinity uses the GURPS 4th Edition rules. By the nature of the game, there is potential to use material out of almost any book. However, some limitations may apply. At least in the beginning, I'm not looking for a party full of spell-casters and super-psis. I am more content with characters that have latent potential for such things. That does not mean I will outright deny applications that include such characters, however.

I don't mind helping some with character creation and rules questions. However, I don't want to make your character or play the game for you. I require that you have access to at least the Basic Set in order to play this game.

It should be noted here that this is not an Infinite Worlds game as published by SJGames. I chose Infinite Worlds as a setting switch because it was the closest option. There may be some similarities, but to be honest, you're more likely to find parallels with the work of Stephen King.

Characters
Characters will be made with 250 points, with up to 75 points of negative traits.

Characters can and should be from all walks of life. Infinity selects champions based on their potential, not their occupation. A farm boy with the potential for greatness is just as likely to be chosen as a seasoned gunslinger itching for a quest.

Some traits will be hard to fit into this game. Traits such as wealth, reputations, dependents, enemies, and others will be hard to be effective. Some of these traits will become part of your characters as the game progresses, however.

In a like manner, equipment and belongings will depend largely on in-game occurances. A police officer who is off duty might not be carrying his 9mm service pistol, but might conceivably have a .38 in an ankle holster for emergencies, for instance. Feel free to develop your list as you like, but keep in mind that you will be making a transition during play, and might not get to keep all your toys.

Applications
Please put all applications in THIS THREAD.

Applications should include:

Character name.
Description.
Picture (if large, please place in spoiler tags).
Background.

A character's background should include at least some description of the world in which they live. After all, that is where they will start the game, and I'll need something to go on.

Characters will be accepted on a rolling basis. I intend to start a given character in their story within a day or two of acceptance.

Last edited by Dyrnwyn; Sep 12 '11 at 6:30am..
So, uh, quick question before I write a character as fast as I can: since it's not really infinite worlds, would non-humans be accepted? I've had ideas for a strange but enjoyable character for a while.
(one was a ferret, and is kinda pricy for this game)
Oh, and how flexible are you in terms of flavor/mechanic changes? One of my ideas is kinda possible without much flavor tweaking, but is easier if certain flavor issues can be bypassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YX33A View Post
So, uh, quick question before I write a character as fast as I can: since it's not really infinite worlds, would non-humans be accepted? I've had ideas for a strange but enjoyable character for a while.
(one was a ferret, and is kinda pricy for this game)
While I can't say that I envisioned ferrets as characters when I started thinking on this game, I won't rule it out.. Infinite does mean infinite, after all.

Quote:
Oh, and how flexible are you in terms of flavor/mechanic changes? One of my ideas is kinda possible without much flavor tweaking, but is easier if certain flavor issues can be bypassed.
I'm really not sure what you mean here.. are you asking if you can change the mechanics of the game in order to make your character a certain way? Probably not, if that's what you're after.

Game System in ad titles are redundant; the nifty system handles we have already take care of that .

Title Changed.

Well, I meant of the mechanics don't change, will you allow flavor to?
Runs off a old idea I had. In GURPS Powers, it says at one point that the Super modifier and the Psionic modifier have the same effects, so in some settings, they might be just one power source. A GM did not agree that a Super power could run along the same lines as a Psionic power. Even then the mechanics did not change at all.
Mind you, that GM turned out to be very hard to work with. The ferret, while a cool and usable idea, would have never been accepted in his game. His infinite worlds was apparently infinite in the sense that you could play a human from any world you could think of, within his judgment. He and I didn't hit it off, in any case.
The reason I ask is because I sometimes think of making a "psionic" character using reflavored Magic. Magery would cost the same, but would have a different name(I went with "universal psionic talent" last time), and instead of needing Mana levels, it would use the Psionic limitations instead(so drugs and tech could mess with it instead of varying ley lines and stuff). In game terms, it still worked out to a -10%, which is why it seems OK in my head. Flavor edits aside(and dealing with enchanting another way, likely just the rules in Psi Tech), I liked the idea. Catch is, I always tend to go for strange mages who could enchant really well if they wanted to.

The ferret was a cool idea, though, and I had to think on it. Turns out the ferret template I was editing would cost at least 120 points(from -75ish default), which made making the ferret not a wereferret, but a werehuman, much more cost efficient.

That being said, I'll start try and think up something new.
You OK with Syntactic Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post

Game System in ad titles are redundant; the nifty system handles we have already take care of that .

Title Changed.
Meh.. For those of us that worship at the alter of Jackson, such labeling is a matter of feel, not classification. Labeling the game and the thread "GURPS: Infinity" keeps the same feel as the books, which are named "GURPS: Fantasy", "GURPS: Infinite Worlds", etc.

However, if that's how you want to clean up the fora, that's your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YX33A View Post
Well, I meant of the mechanics don't change, will you allow flavor to?
Runs off a old idea I had. In GURPS Powers, it says at one point that the Super modifier and the Psionic modifier have the same effects, so in some settings, they might be just one power source. A GM did not agree that a Super power could run along the same lines as a Psionic power. Even then the mechanics did not change at all.
Mind you, that GM turned out to be very hard to work with. The ferret, while a cool and usable idea, would have never been accepted in his game. His infinite worlds was apparently infinite in the sense that you could play a human from any world you could think of, within his judgment. He and I didn't hit it off, in any case.
The reason I ask is because I sometimes think of making a "psionic" character using reflavored Magic. Magery would cost the same, but would have a different name(I went with "universal psionic talent" last time), and instead of needing Mana levels, it would use the Psionic limitations instead(so drugs and tech could mess with it instead of varying ley lines and stuff). In game terms, it still worked out to a -10%, which is why it seems OK in my head. Flavor edits aside(and dealing with enchanting another way, likely just the rules in Psi Tech), I liked the idea. Catch is, I always tend to go for strange mages who could enchant really well if they wanted to.

The ferret was a cool idea, though, and I had to think on it. Turns out the ferret template I was editing would cost at least 120 points(from -75ish default), which made making the ferret not a wereferret, but a werehuman, much more cost efficient.

That being said, I'll start try and think up something new.
You OK with Syntactic Magic?
MagiPsi
I don't remember Magery benefiting from a power modifier... Whatever you call it, remember that Magery is essentially a small Unusual Background and a Talent.. I suppose you can apply that -10% to the 5 points of "Level 0 Magery", but you'd still end up at 5 points.

Now, if you intend to make "powers" that are psi-based, no problem.. as long as they make sense and work mechanically, then it's fine.

I do want to caution you, though.. like I mentioned, I'm not looking for a party of psi-casters.. I'd encourage you not to make a one trick pony..

Furballs
I can see a desire to have a Humans Only IW campaign. Even a "Humanoid Only" would be my preference most of the time. However, with Infinity, I see it as all possible worlds. Somewhere in this cosmos, the Morlocks are harvesting dumb, but pretty, humans for food; Apes talk and humans grunt; Eragon is kicking Harry Potter's stick-waving butt while Sephira and Smaug duke it out just to see who's more B-A.

Get it?

Personally, my money is on Sephira. Big or not, there's no way a single archer could take her down.

Syntactic
I don't have anything against Syntactic Magic as a system. However, keep in mind that it might slow us down considerably.. since the GM and player need to agree on how a spell works in order to use it.. and pbp can make that take longer than a little whispered conversation. Between work and other concerns I won't always be able to look, check the books, make a judgement, and respond quickly.

Not saying no, just a word of caution.

I always forget that PbP is slower.

And trust me, no ferret character from me. Even if it would appeal to my sense of whimsy. And the whole "fits in another party member's pocket, rains fire from the sky" does suit my style of confusion. A Sergal is much more likely to show up from this idea.

I meant that the power modifier cost on psionic and magical are both 10%, as is super(which has the exact same disadvantages as Psionic), so one could, with slight flavor edits, in effect run a magical character learning spells, but call it Psionics and use those limits instead.

But, for sake of saving point costs, I'm gonna try and make a character who can tank and do damage in melee with ease.(using advantages, because buying items still doesn't make sense to me in GURPS). Magic, if any, will be limited to advantages.
...Though the Alex Mercer-ish idea still could be fun, if insanely pricey.
Anyway, off to peruse my books, and get stuff done today.

I'm going to get in on this. Are you cool with bizarre ideas? Mine's a little...uh...
Comically diabolical sapient nanomist would-be ruler of the world ~que evil laughter~
different.

Alternatively, I can try to come up with something more normal....but this is GURPS darnit!