Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

MnM: Mutants and Masterminds 3e Noob, Need Help please...

Mutants and Masterminds 3e Noob, Need Help please...

I would like to learn how to play MnM3e, but I'm having issues creating a character for the game. I've only every played D&D 3.5 and the difference in the rules are confusing me. I have the MnM3e Heroes Handbook and as I read through it I just get more confused. Would anyone mind giving me a hand? The game I'm applying for is a Marvel Universe game, I don't know if I need another book for that system or if I can just fluff my character into the Marvel Universe. Here is my Character Concept:

Name: Ruinian
Identity: Collin Rain
Profession: Public Librarian
Niche: Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podonis View Post
Would anyone mind giving me a hand?
Without more to go on, you probably won't get much specific help. If I were you, I'd start with the Mystic archetype (DCA, 37) and then take a look at the Zatanna build (DCA, 236-7) for some ideas for customization. If you want a specific power in your magic array and need help, post here with a detailed description of how you think that power will work.

Quote:
The game I'm applying for is a Marvel Universe game, I don't know if I need another book for that system or if I can just fluff my character into the Marvel Universe.
Nope. DCA is all you need.

Mainly, how would I work out the powers of being able to summon a small dragon and cast four preset spells via runes.

Also, anything I can do to represent my characters two personalities?

If I'm not mistaken, what little I know of 3E is Summon is now Creation, I think. And the split personality would be a complication. I don't know if they still do the Drawbacks, but if they do, you could do Involuntary Transformation.

I'll look into those. Thanks Khakhan!

Not a problem. If I weren't broke right now, I'd be in the same boat as you. Mutants and Masterminds is probably my favorite system now.

I realize I'm late to the party, but I'm hoping I can still be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khakhan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, what little I know of 3E is Summon is now Creation, I think. And the split personality would be a complication. I don't know if they still do the Drawbacks, but if they do, you could do Involuntary Transformation.
That is incorrect. Create lets you conjure inanimate objects, while Summon lets you conjure minions with their own stats.

Drawbacks no longer exist. Powers can have Quirks, but you no longer get free points on your character as a whole, instead you would model those things with Complications.

Quote:
Mainly, how would I work out the powers of being able to summon a small dragon and cast four preset spells via runes.
For the small dragon, either use the Summon power or the Minion/Sidekick advantages.

Your four spells are either alternate powers in a magic array, or four different powers that just have the magic descriptor (depending on whether or not you can use all of them at the same time).

Quote:
Also, anything I can do to represent my characters two personalities?
Check out the Metamorph extra under the Morph power. You can create another sheet for additional personalities.

Thanks for the ideas Naturax! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I kinda forgot about this thread until I had another question. I'll try working with some of your suggestions. But this is my current question:

How do Offenses work? I see an area for them on the sheet, but cannot find them explained anywhere in the book. Also, I'll post my character sheet so people can take a look and see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ruinian.pdf (246.3 KB, 0 views)

Offenses is just a workspace for your attacks. So let's say you've got Claws (Damage rank 6), and your Fighting stat is 14. You might write:

Claws [+14 vs. Parry] Damage DC 21 Toughness

That way in the middle of combat you're not looking in three different places on your sheet to figure out what your attack bonuses and the effect DCs are.