Steampunk Mars

Old Oct 1 '11, 5:08am
Unca GM Ack

Steampunk Mars

Steampunk Mars - Forum
GURPS - Alternate History
Ad Closes: Oct 24 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 3

The gallant crew of the Bon Homme Richard has been offered the chance to travel to the swamps of the Hellas Basin in the south of Mars, and to capture the rumoured Golden Raptor - and, incidentally, to rescue the last expedition that tried to do the same thing.
However, some crew members have since opted out, and thus we need some more daring souls.

Can you survive on the frontier world of steampunk Mars?

Game Description:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ster/logo1.jpg
The year is 1921 - another 1921.

Forty years ago, a young scientist called Nikola Tesla proved the existence of a force he called the 'luminiferous ether', but he had not the funding to do anything about it - then.
Thirty-one years ago, he achieved his dream, launching the first ship designed to sail between the worlds.
Twenty-four years ago, the ethercraft Britannia Ad Astra visited Mars for the first time. The planet was found to be both hospitable to life - and inhabited.
Sixteen years ago, the first wave of explorers, colonists, scientists and prospectors was on the way to Mars. They found wonders and glories beyond belief. They found dangers and perils. Some found death. This deterred few.
Eleven years ago, spiralling national tensions, exacerbated by clashes in orbit and beyond, drove Europe and the world beyond into the Great War, some say years earlier than it would otherwise have happened.
Five years ago, the Great War ended. Even on Mars, officially neutral territory, skirmishes had broken out here and there. For some, the tensions remained. For some, the war never ended.

Now:
Colonies dot the surface of Mars; few and far between. Scientific expeditions try to unearth the secrets of this ancient world.
Alongside dried-up canals, fabulous ruined cities and towers of crystal and glass await their long-dead inhabitants.
The landscape is far too rugged for road travel except for short distances, so airships are the only way to travel.
Taciturn natives go about their enigmatic business, acknowledging humans only to warn them away from the ruins.
Untold mineral wealth awaits those who can just dig in the right spot.

Danger, wealth, adventure and romance await you on Mars. Do you dare? Do you dare not?

Well, currently we're heading down to the Hellas Basin in the southern hemisphere, to search for the elusive Golden Raptor, and to also rescue the previous expedition. Feel free to read the information already released about the game.

Not to tell you what your character should have, but the ability to use a firearm would be good, as would the ability to at least hold your own in hand to hand combat. Going into a swamp, Swimming and Climbing might be nice.

we already have a bona fide action hero (Jack Chance) but an 'animal whisperer' might come in handy

Love Mars, dig me some steampunk. Unfortunately, getting underway with another Gurps game currently. For player inspiration, though, check this out: http://www.wetanz.com/rayguns/

That said, the idea of a deceptively young prospector covered in red dirt is extremely appealing.

You know the setup; we've lost Captain J P Jones, Leonidias Maksimillian and Lancaster (our face and two of our hard hitters). Jack Chance is still here, but apparently intermittently. And you know where we're going. The Bon Homme Richard will be stopping for supplies before it reaches Hellas, which is where you get on.

So; who's interested?

Is this still open. I'd been working on a character concept in my spare time over the last few days, but it has been slow going as I'm nor sure what to do with him. I think I have a semi workable character though. However, I haven't seen any activity in here in a few days so I'm not sure what is going on.

Still open, yes. I've been busy doing other stuff, but this game is still alive.