Chapter 3: Into the Belly of the Beast

Aife Maerasdottir

Aife glanced over at Serin and thought for a moment. "I can take out about three at a time, provided Maera lends me a bit of luck. More than that and I'll have trouble, but I can handle at least three myself. I don't really know any spells to take out more."

Rindilnir Autumnwind

Rindilnir's shoulders stiffened slightly at Aife's peck on the cheek, he blushed, and had to look away.

Later. At Serin's comment, Rindilnir placed his right hand at chest an gave a short bow and nodded approvingly at Aife's number of three. "I think your right about the stealthy part, friend Serin. If we knew their patrol routes we could lie in wait for them, or at least, attack them when they are furthest from the keep."

Aife Maerasdottir

At the mention of the tribe being alerted Aife suddenly smiled mischievously. "Wait, why don't we alert them, but on our terms? Lead them into an ambush of our own devising. That would give us a definite advantage and if we baited the hook right we could at least thin their numbers fairly substantially."

Serin Skald

Serin puffs out a breath of air. "So, the options on the table are: to sneak past a group of orcs who know these woods well; to find the orcs and, instead of sneaking past, set an ambush to take out the group either magically at a distance or physically face to face; or to alert the orc sentries, if not a whole warband, toward some baited ambush. Tell me, where are we hiding the squads of soldiers and woodsmen for some of these plans?"

He turns to Krusk. "Krusk, you said a human lives in the tower and speaks for the Rat King. Do any other humans ever visit him, or is he the only one of his kind to come here?"

Rindilnir Autumnwind

"If this human has both an rat horde and an orc legion at his command. I daresay, Dunross would have already been forfit. I was merely suggesting we try to take out the patrols, one at a time of course, and chip away at this human's guards. Granted it would be easier to formulate a plan of attack if we knew what kind of forces we were dealing with, but your "Battle Brother" doesn't seem too forthcoming with that information." Rindilnir said with a hint of jealousy.

Serin Skald

Serin looks a bit stricken by Rindilnir's comment. "That's hardly fair, Rindilnir, to me or to Krusk. We need to take what we can get.

"And we don't all have your prowess in battle: Varn and I are, and I hope I speak without offense, Varn, decidedly average in that regard. You and Krusk and Aife may be mighty indeed, but you saw the scale of the attack on Dunross! Yes, Dalsetter is very much forfeit, if we don't get to that tower. Just because we have an enemy who prefers to work through subtlety and betrayal, sickness and famine, doesn't mean he doesn't also have some muscle to exert!"

Aife Maerasdottir

"Who said anything about a straight up fight" said Aife as she started shuffling through a couple of her scroll tubes. "About three hundred years ago a small village managed to defeat and entire orc horde by leading them into a ravine and rolling rocks on them. Five hundred and seventeen years ago another small force managed to defeat a large horde of giants by luring them onto a lake with rotten ice. We need to find terrain that will work for us, not against us. Something that will act as a force magnifier" she said, her face suddenly flushed and her eyes sparkling with fierce intellect and fire.

Aife then paused and then suddenly blinked. "Where do they get their water and food? A large army has to be fed and watered. If they're getting water from one source why don't we dose it with something that will weaken or even kill them?"

Rindilnir Autumnwind

"Hmmmph."

Krusk

Krusk's face darkens as you press him for the number of orcs. "Patrolls sometime have more than you, sometimes less, but always tougher than humans. Many more than you at temple." He growls his reply to you and then lapses into silence.