GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Which system should I use?

Which system should I use?

I want to run an rp. The story would revolve around a small group of ordinary people who have been given an item that gives them a particular ability based on the type of item they get. I would start the players where they first get the item and must find out what they can do with said item. As they use their item and practice with it their abilities would improve. I'm not sure which system to use to discribe the game. Can anyone help me?

GURPS will work no matter what, but more info would help if that's not a system you want to use. Would it be modern, future, medieval or some other time period? Do you want magic in the world or not (aside from these items)? Are you looking for something rules lite? What do you already know/have that you're comfortable GMing in, or are you open to new things?

Mutants and Masterminds will also work no matter what, but to add to the questions . . . How powerful is the "particular ability"? Are we talking D&D class feature type ability or are we talking Green Lantern's ring type ability? That "power level" of the ability might help you pick a system. Some systems do "super hero level powers" much better than others.

Second for gurps. There may be something more.appropriate.based.on your setting or taste, but.gurps is rpg love.

I also recommend GURPS. You can download the free GURPS Lite to see if you like. GURPS Lite can be used for running a game. Try creating some characters with it to get a feel for it.

Definitely GURPS. Easy to make ordinary people - can even have the players play themselves! - and very easy to do pretty much anything. Love that GURPS, baby!
CnC

The game is going to be modern and the objects are going to be the only magical things. That particular abilities will change depending on which item you get. For instance one will give you the power to control water, another will give you psychic abilities, and another will give you the ability to heal yourself and others. I'm used to GMing forum based RPs and pen and paper RPs in person. I'm open to suggestions.

You said modern; that gives a few typical options:

(1) d20 modern is generally considered pretty awkward about most everything it does, but it's there and free.
(2) GURPS does everything, but it may be more detail than you need if you're mostly going for a cinematic/storybook feel.
(3) Mutants and Masterminds is a good in-between the first two options, mostly focused on superpowers.
(4) A great storytelling option would be Spirit of the Century or its progenitors, FATE and Fudge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
You said modern; that gives a few typical options:

(1) d20 modern is generally considered pretty awkward about most everything it does, but it's there and free.
(2) GURPS does everything, but it may be more detail than you need if you're mostly going for a cinematic/storybook feel.
(3) Mutants and Masterminds is a good in-between the first two options, mostly focused on superpowers.
(4) A great storytelling option would be Spirit of the Century or its progenitors, FATE and Fudge.
I'm going for more the cinematic/storybook feel to the story so it seems like GURPS would be the best for this story. Thanks guys you've been a big help!

Would she be able to do the RP without roles or stats? That what it sounds like to me, maybe Non-Sequitor? Then again I'm still new to the site so... Yeah...