OOC-Questions

Been a week. Should probably just puppet the lad for now, get on with the fight. I'm sure he'd be happier to come back to a game that's still in progress, rather than one that's died in his absence.

It's a generic term. Like 'kiddo'.

Unless you fought in Vietnam, I'd suggest against calling anyone either of those. For some reason they just smack of condescension nowadays. I'm not offended or anything. I just can't remember the last time I even heard those terms in actual conversation. It's like calling someone "old chap" without a funny accent and miming a monocle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicLunacy View Post
Unless you fought in Vietnam, I'd suggest against calling anyone either of those. For some reason they just smack of condescension nowadays. I'm not offended or anything. I just can't remember the last time I even heard those terms in actual conversation. It's like calling someone "old chap" without a funny accent and miming a monocle.
You must be from a different part of the world than I am. They see use all the time around here, without any hidden message attached.

I was raised in Los Angeles.

I live on the West coast and go to school on the East coast. If I called anyone "lad" or "kiddo" they'd assume I was either kidding, joking, being sarcastic, or being condescending. I don't even think my dad could call me that without sounding strange. It just strikes me as a term several generations removed from common use.

It has more to do with cultural background, I expect, than era. It isn't as though there's a single defining lexicon for every locale of the country.