OOC: In the Beginning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeus View Post
Unless we are doing more than the standard 22-pt buy, you have too many ability points allocated there (that's a 26-pt buy). The idea is that the drow are going to equip us before we head out, so use whatever weapon you want. Gruunk is going to use a greataxe and they'll need to equip us before sending us on a suicide mission. Otherwise, they are just wasting slaves.

I'd agree with the bigger [W] weapons too. Unless you wanted to go rapier to take advantage of light blade expertise and nimble blade. Assassin is such a strange class...I admittedly don't entirely get it.
Weird, becuase it was one of the example stat arrays right from the PHB. As for the weapons, that's a good call on them equipping us, but if I wanted my weapon to be my one magic item, it was basically stated I had to figure out how to hide it.

Edit: I see what I did. I was working on the sheet over a course of two day and accidentally added the +2 cha from changeling twice. It's fixed.

Yeah, I am likely having a magic weapon too. But my character's will be not only a gift for saving a drow girl's life (more like shut up and never mention this again....EVER!), but it's also so Gruunk looks tough in his body guard role.

There is a level 2 property called "lesser cloaked"that makes the weapon invisible until you use it. How perfect for an assassin!

Tarner's magic item is a Rod of Corruption, because that's pretty much a necessity for any Warlock. Getting a Pact Blade eventually would be really nice, but I doubt the Drow would just hand me one, so eh

Funny you mention that Shadeus, that's what I was pretty much sold on for my item. My only real concern is if the
DM
drow is feeling particularly sadistic and sends us out without light sources as I don't think any of us have darkvision.

Tarner has Darkvision. Due to being a Spellscar, he's got a toggle ability that gives him Darkvision for 1 square in every direction. It's not much, but at least it'll keep us from walking off cliffs.

I can't wait until we hit Paragon tier. As soon as we do, I'm picking up Twofold Pact; Rod of Corruption + Area power + Star Pact boon = Massive bonuses.

Darkvision is really sort of wasted. Unless everyone in the party have it, you'll still need a light source. The only case in which darkvision is really handy is sneaking ahead, scouting alone, and other similarly solo-oriented stuff. Usually, Play-by-forum games don't include a lot of those, as it can potentially mean that the other players will have to wait weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeba View Post
Darkvision is really sort of wasted. Unless everyone in the party have it, you'll still need a light source. The only case in which darkvision is really handy is sneaking ahead, scouting alone, and other similarly solo-oriented stuff. Usually, Play-by-forum games don't include a lot of those, as it can potentially mean that the other players will have to wait weeks.
Heh.

As a person playing a fighter in another one of DannoE's games that has us perpetually in some kind of darkness-bedecked location, fighting against enemies who (like the drow) can call up supernatural darkness that even light can't penetrate, I can assure you that Darkvision is not at all wasted. My fighter's ability to actually mark what he needs to increases enormously when he can actually see what he's supposed to hit.

That being said, light sources are a must. But sooner or later, we'll probably need to get equipment or feats that let us see in the darkness of the underdark.

Can Darkvision penetrate supernatural darkness? Isn't the whole point of supernatural darkness that it's impenetrable for anyone but the creator?

No, that drow darkness ignores darkvision. Here's the power description:
Encounter
Minor Action Close burst 1

Effect: The burst creates a cloud of darkness that remains in place until the end of your next turn. The cloud blocks line of sight, squares within it are totally obscured, and creatures entirely within it are blinded until they exit. You are immune to these effects.

Cloud of Darkness

There's actually a feat that grants darkvision too (I think from essentialy), but it's like darkvision 2. I might forgo the magic weapon and go with bracers of mighty striking. He will use a fair bit of melee basic attacks and a +2 to damage is pretty nice...for a part time striker. The only means he has to stop someone from violating his "mark" is by them not wanting to get cracked by his MBA.