Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Suspension of disbelief and rules

Suspension of disbelief and rules

Situations where you look at the rule(s) and think to yourself "Man, this is ridiculously stupid! There's no way it works like that in my game!". Sometimes it's nothing major, like the fact that a Monk isn't proficient in unarmed strikes. You can houserule it and then it makes sense to you and everyone is happy.
But sometimes, when you houserule (or interpret) it your way you will make life harder for classes or concepts that already have it hard. What then? Leave it and be annoyed by it or change it, but shaft some players character?
To the point:
Did you have such a tricky situation? What was it?
Would you change it or leave it?
Do you know of any rules that could lead to such tricky situation?

One example: Dragonwrought kobolds. (although it's more about balance and cheese)

Every spell above 4th level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorK View Post
Sometimes it's nothing major, like the fact that a Monk isn't proficient in unarmed strikes.
Unarmed strikes are not weapons, therefore you cannot be proficient in them. Natural weapons ARE weapons, hence the name, therefore you can be proficient in them. You suffer only the AoO for making an unarmed strike, which Improved Unarmed Strike removes. Since monks receive that for free, you can consider THAT their equivalent of proficiency in unarmed strikes.

Mind you, certain things typically need to be house-ruled in. Like if you surpass maximum falling damage then you automatically die. Or simply pointing out to players trying them that certain builds are not viable because you are not so stupid as to listen to them. The Master Spellthief / Sublime Chord combo for example - doesn't work as an optimiser would wish it to.

Quote:
Unarmed strikes are not weapons, therefore you cannot be proficient in them. Natural weapons ARE weapons, hence the name, therefore you can be proficient in them. You suffer only the AoO for making an unarmed strike, which Improved Unarmed Strike removes. Since monks receive that for free, you can consider THAT their equivalent of proficiency in unarmed strikes.
Unarmed strike is in the weapon list. It's a Simple Weapon.
Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't give proficiency.

Quote:
Like if you surpass maximum falling damage then you automatically die.
I wouldn't do that. D&D is about doing impossible things. That means surviving falls from very very very big heights.

People have survived falls from airplanes in real life after a parachute malfunction or whatnot. Statistically, yes, you are almost certainly going to die, but there are rare cases where it has happened.

Well honestly if you having trouble with suspicion of disbelieving then your playing the wrong game.

I have had a few problems with this. But most the time its much more a issue of balance then a issue of SoD.

For instant taking. Exotic Weapon: Full blade. Then Monkey Grip. Lets you buy the rules wield a oversized Fullblade. Which is a Gaints Great Sword. If you look at this from a Bleafe standpoint you have a problem, the weapon would be so long it would be impossible to use.

Now you could argue that you would in reality just be wielding a extremely heavy weapon. But still its more a balance of rules issue then anything else.

And really most "fantasy" Games your gonna have a problem like this.

If your really stuck on stuff like this, I hate to say it but its most likly a DMing problem, The Rules are just guidlines, and a set of rules make a story in, if you need to change something, or reinterperate or reinvision something, or just say no, thats fine.

My biggest issue is how D&D throws in all sorts of physically impossible feats and class features, like Evasion, and then looks at me with a straight face and says my barb or monk still can't jump higher then he is tall. I mean, figuratively you can, but I think a 10ft. high jump is a DC 40-something Jump check. Even at 20th level, that's still pretty hard to beat without magic. And even then, it's with a running start! A standing 10 ft. jump is DC 80, an epic check. Within the rules this is ridiculous, outside of the rules it's insulting. I can understand DM's would want walls and cliffs to be decent barriers for the first few levels, but later on even siege ramparts are just to block the wizard's line of sight. It makes no sense.

In fluff terms, I can't believe that every setting hasn't been completely taken over by organized spellcasters. This is especially irritating in high magic settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarraven View Post
Well honestly if you having trouble with suspicion of disbelieving then your playing the wrong game.

I have had a few problems with this. But most the time its much more a issue of balance then a issue of SoD.

For instant taking. Exotic Weapon: Full blade. Then Monkey Grip. Lets you buy the rules wield a oversized Fullblade. Which is a Gaints Great Sword. If you look at this from a Bleafe standpoint you have a problem, the weapon would be so long it would be impossible to use.

Now you could argue that you would in reality just be wielding a extremely heavy weapon. But still its more a balance of rules issue then anything else.

And really most "fantasy" Games your gonna have a problem like this.

If your really stuck on stuff like this, I hate to say it but its most likly a DMing problem, The Rules are just guidlines, and a set of rules make a story in, if you need to change something, or reinterperate or reinvision something, or just say no, thats fine.
I don't have a problem with believing in or accepting impossible things. I'm perfectly fine with characters doing fantastic things. It D&D, with magic and dragons and stuff.
What I do have a problem with are some of the rules. They just don't make sense to me. A good example is that Monks aren't proficient in unarmed strikes. That's simply stupid and probably just WotC derping while writing the rules.