General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Comic Book Wednesdays, What did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
You missed DKR

While not a Batman title (it was JLA if I remember right), Tower of Babel gave a frightening look into Batman's psyche.. I consider it a great "Batman" story..

Killing Joke and Year One need mentioned

I enjoy Hush mostly because Jim Lee's art was amazing.....
All definitely great Batman books. Did you like DKR Returns or would you have prefered it was left as a single book? I see pros and cons on that.

OMAC spun out ot the Tower of Babel, I believe. Which became a big deal during 52.

The Killing Joke was a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Seeing Jim Gordan kick some butt in Year one alone was worth the price of the book.

Ok...I picked up the Teen Titans and Aquaman

Teen Titans continues to be pretty solid, IMHO. I like Kid Flash, Bunker, and the girl who's not exactly human . I'm starting to like Wonder Girl, and she has a huge showdown with Superboy in Times Square before the rest of the Titans arrive (that will be next issue). All in all, I like the series and it's fun to follow. It's not 'drop everything you're doing' good but I like it...a solid 3.

Aquaman continues to be the top tier, 5 star publication of the new 52. It's easily the best or one of the best reboots. They went out of their way to make people love him, and he gets cooler and cooler with each story. I admire him because he takes a lot of crap from people but still does the right thing, and because he loves his wife (who bravely supports him and fights with him) like any good fellow should. I won't spoil much but the Trench arc finally ends this time, and Arthur and Mera get their first inkling of respect from the local community. There's a very touching scene with a little boy who decides that Aquaman is indeed is favorite superhero; that alone is worth the cost of the comic book.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's true...Aquaman is back, and he's a great hero. I can't make jokes about him anymore...he's perhaps the hero I look forward to following the most now!

I'm telling you if you haven't already...drop what you're doing and GET THE NEW AQUAMAN COMICS! They're wonderful. Enough to make you want to play M&M just to recreate some of your favorite heroes again

Thanks to all who pointed me Aquaman's way (Witchslasher and others).

This week was a smaller week for me. Its not so much to say there are less well written titles, but more so it just characters I'm personally not invested in.

I did finally break down and catch up on All-Star Western. I really like the Hex / Arkham team-up. I *really* hope that they somehow can keep the two of them together though given Jonah's personality its a bit of a stretch. Also Amadeus is rather engrained into the history of Gotham City and him leaving to trek around the old west seems a bit unlikely. Its a pity really that it might end but I have at least three more issues if not more from the solicitations so I'm not going to complain yet.

Dark Knight continues to be....crap. Random nonsense that doesnt make any sense. Why the *frack* does Alfred suddenly have ice cream cones? Random attacks on the Batwing that have no explanation. If they hadnt put a certain character on the last page of this issue I think I'd be dropping it. Curse you DC for finally showing me one of my favorites that I have been worried about with the reboot. Of course I might hate changes if they decide to make any to the character so who knows.

I also continue to enjoy Justice League Dark and Teen Titans.

I'm a bit behind this crew since I get my books shipped from sci fi genre.. Just read Batwoman number 4, which was really great... but anyone else kind of disappointed in the length? They usually look pretty thick but then it seems like i get half way through the book and then the rest is nothing by ads.. I think Batwoman has something like 11 pages of ads.. Which was probably the biggest offender, last month every comic was 5 pages or so of Batman: Noel.. I guess they need to make their money, but it's always a bit disheartening when you're into the story and it gets to that "to be continued.." when there's still half the book left.

Fairly small week for me given the fact half of what I'm picking up is mini series.

Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
Huntress

I've dropped Justice League International. I really hate to do it with favorites like Guy on the team but its just such a boring series. If the reviews on it improve I'll come back. Otherwise I can use the money for trying out a different title.

Same is going to have to be said for Green Arrow. I'll pop my head back over with #7 when Ann Nocenti takes over. Krul sucked and this transition arc hasnt grabbed my attention at all. The title will be 7 issues in come Mar and will have had 4 writers attached. Poor Ollie.

Tony Daniel has this issue with Detective Comics to keep me or lose me. The Dollmaker arc was nothing but shock value and didnt amount to anything. Now we're at least looking at an established rogue gallery villain to shake things up. Riding the high of the Penguin mini series I hope Daniel can pull something off. Otherwise this is likely my last Detective issue for awhile.

Given I'm not buying two titles I'd normally have gotten I might pick up Demon Knights or something instead.

Question to those of you who read it: is the Huntress short series any good? Do you enjoy it, AD?

I just ordered the first three volumes of the Birds of Prey because I want to see what the big deal is . I know she's one of them but otherwise know nothing. Is it worth learning more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
I'm a bit behind this crew since I get my books shipped from sci fi genre.. Just read Batwoman number 4, which was really great... but anyone else kind of disappointed in the length? They usually look pretty thick but then it seems like i get half way through the book and then the rest is nothing by ads.. I think Batwoman has something like 11 pages of ads.. Which was probably the biggest offender, last month every comic was 5 pages or so of Batman: Noel.. I guess they need to make their money, but it's always a bit disheartening when you're into the story and it gets to that "to be continued.." when there's still half the book left.
I keep hoping there will be fewer ads. It seems really excesive to me too. Oh well.

I've enjoyed the Huntress. I'm curious about the Penguin book especially now that his face is on the cover of tis months Detective. Anyway this week I picked up.

DC
Action comics, Animal Man, Batman Detective, Huntress, Swamp Thing and Supernatural for my wife (really).

Marvel
The Defenders

I totally blew off the thread last week.

I really like Huntress, so being able to see any of her character is a bonus for me. I like the mini but I don't like it either. Seeing Helena is action is fun, but the setting in Italy at the moment is really out of place to me. It just doesnt really feel she belongs here even if they have her talking in Italian for nearly half of the book. I want my girl back home in the States, and more specific back in Gotham.

I've enjoyed the Penguin series thus far though the newest issue kinda has me worried how its going to end. It started very strong with a look into Oswald and really what has made him into the man he's become. I'll avoid spoilers for anyone interested but the ending splash page of the last issue really had me lifting an eyebrow going "seriously?" as I had a flashback to the Batman Returns movie.

Detective wasnt all that impressive but it was to me at least a improvement over the Dollmaker thing. Though I was diappointed to see it suddenly end and go into a totally unrealted side story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
I really like Huntress, so being able to see any of her character is a bonus for me. I like the mini but I don't like it either. Seeing Helena is action is fun, but the setting in Italy at the moment is really out of place to me. It just doesnt really feel she belongs here even if they have her talking in Italian for nearly half of the book. I want my girl back home in the States, and more specific back in Gotham.
And back in Birds of Prey