Notices

Rolling in Forum

Rolling in Forum

I stole from my other forum for you guys to help you learn how to roll right in your posts for whatever you need to roll for. It was for a world of darkness game so I tried to make alterations so we can use in our exalted game. Also a big thank to ArcaneDesperado who taught me all this when I played a world of darkness game that he oversaw.

This is where chance comes into the game. It's pretty simple; unlike d20 systems, World of Darkness uses a d10 system with 8's or higher, Exalted however is 7's or higher and only 10 sides dice. The mechanic revolves around "dice pools," the size of which is determined by your various attribute, skill, merit, etc. dots, plus any conditional modifiers.

You roll to determine the success of an action. It's simple: you take your dice pool, add and subtract any modifiers, and toss the dice. Each die that rolls an 7 or higher is considered a success. Many actions require only one success, but some require more.
There are a couple of other rules when it comes to rolls:

Ten Again If you roll a ten on any die, you can count that as a success, and roll the die again. You can continue this until it comes up as a 9 or lower. Since I don't know how to make 10's count as two we will just be using this (unless one of you guys know how. On the downside, may make a lot of rolls less on the upside, it will stay intact for rolling damage which will make damage more
Exceptional SuccessIf you have 5 or more successes, it's an Exceptional Success. This often has additional perks, such as learning additional obscure information or making a lucky shot.
Chance Roll If, after modifiers, your dice pool is reduced to zero or lower dice, you instead roll a Chance Roll, or 1 ten sided die. On a Chance Roll, only a 10 is considered a success; 1-9 is a failure.
Dramatic Failure If you roll a 1 on a Chance Roll, it counts as a dramatic failure. This counts as a failure, but often includes some additional penalty, such as tripping and breaking your nose while running after a for, or shooting your ally by accident.

The code we'll use for dice rolls in this game is Xd10s7, where X is the number of dice in your pool, after all modifiers.

For example: Vince Gabreski is sitting through a particularly dull lecture by Captain Johnston. He hasn't slept for 36 hours because of the murder investigation, and he's fighting to keep awake. The Story Teller asks you to roll against Fatigue.
The dice pool for Fatigue is Stamina + Resolve. Vince has three dots in each, so his dice pool starts at 6. But the ST decides that last night was a particularly grueling one for the cell, and gives you a -1 modifier: your dice pool is now 5.
The code is:

Which comes up as:

Dice Roll: 5d10s7
d10 Results: 8, 6, 3, 4, 9 (Total Successes = 2)
Fatigue

Vince has 2 successes, so he succeeds in keeping awake. The ST may ask Vince to roll again on the next turn, to represent the constant fight to keep awake with the Captain's incessant droning on in the background. If Vince had no successes, he might doze off; if he rolled a success on all five dice, he would seem more alert than usual to the Captain, who might take notice and go easy on him for a change. If, for whatever reason, modifiers reduced his pool to zero and he rolled a 1, Vince might fall asleep at his desk and wake up with a sharpie mustache and a two day suspension.

Also in terms of dice coding an "e" may be added onto the end of the coding to apply the 10-again feature.

Dice Roll: 6d10s7e
d10 Results: 6, 2, 7, 8, 5, 9 (Total Successes = 3)
Example1

Finally for quick viewing of a total result before examining all the dice rolled a "z" can be added onto the end of the coding that will display the total number of successes rolled for the pool automatically

Dice Roll: 6d10s7ez
d10 Results: 5, 10, 10, 4, 6, 3, 3, 1 (Total Successes = 2)
Example4 (2)

Laele's attack roll against one of the cloaked men using the throwing dagger, +1 for aim (if applicable) -1 for called shot (shot to the leg to impair movement)

Dice Roll: 8d10s7ez
d10 Results: 9, 8, 4, 5, 9, 8, 5, 8 (Total Successes = 5)
attack (5)

Angelica's attack with her daiklaive on one of the cloaked man (the one Laele is not throwing a knife at)
Dice Roll: 8d10s7e
d10 Results: 5, 8, 9, 6, 10, 4, 6, 2, 7 (Total Successes = 4)
attack roll

As Majestic has shown me. We can totally do the 10s are 2 with using an 'a' instead of a 'e' at the end. We shall do it that way .

Just testing the code

Dice Roll: 20d10s7az
d10 Results: 2, 7, 7, 7, 1, 2, 9, 5, 8, 3, 1, 5, 2, 9, 6, 9, 5, 8, 5, 3 (Total Successes = 8)
20d10s7az (8)

Dice Roll: 20d10s7az
d10 Results: 1, 8, 10, 1, 4, 9, 5, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 7, 8, 4, 4, 8, 4, 9, 1 (Total Successes = 11)
20d10s7az (11)