Accelerated Combat Sidebar

In this kind of setting we do not have a quick one-on-one report that is found in tabletop games. Something like a simple round of combat may require me to answer six questions about the area around the battle, which could take us six days in PbP. So you should feel free to add flavor that is inline with what I have started, you may not however add treasures, npcs of anything that effects the game mechanics directly. I will also ask for multiple rounds worth of dice rolls and strategy ideas when a combat occurs. The following is an example of how this plays out, here is a practical example from one of the adventure threads...

GM: The two of you move down the narrow stone bridgeway, careful not to slip from the bits of gravel and dust strewn everywhere. Very careful, seeing how there is no handrail to speak of and the walk is barely as wide as your shoulders. You think to yourself, at least its not windy. Suddenly you hear a roar coming from all directions, many of them. The band of knolls you have been tracking emerge from the shadows, some on both ends of the skywalk.

Let me know your strategy for this encounter, you can see seven knolls, 4 at the end of the bridge ahead, and 3 from the direction you came, they are armed with melee weapons only.

Provide dice rolls for init and rounds 1 and 2 of combat, attack and damage, and any skill check rolls you may need to accomplish your strategy
OOC

Player 1: I know I can fight on this bridge better than they can, so I'm going to stand my ground and fight.

Dice Roll: 1d20+6
d20 Results: 7 (Total = 13)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+11
Original Dice: 1d20+11
init

round 1
Dice Roll: 1d20+7 1d20+2
d20 Results: 15 (Total = 22)
d20 Results: 12 (Total = 14)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+11
Original Dice: 1d20+11
attack
Dice Roll: 1d8+2 1d8+2
d8 Results: 2 (Total = 4)
d8 Results: 5 (Total = 7)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+8
Original Dice: 1d20+8
damage

round 2
Dice Roll: 1d20+7 1d20+2
d20 Results: 3 (Total = 10)
d20 Results: 19 (Total = 21)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+5
Original Dice: 1d20+5
attack
Dice Roll: 1d8+2 1d8+2
d8 Results: 3 (Total = 5)
d8 Results: 6 (Total = 8)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d6+4
Original Dice: 1d6+4
damage

I'm also going to give balance skill checks for each round since that may improve my chances.
Dice Roll: 1d20+11
d20 Results: 12 (Total = 23)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+6
Original Dice: 1d20+6
balance 1
Dice Roll: 1d20+11
d20 Results: 9 (Total = 20)
balance 2

I'm also going to try and spot anything to see if there is some way to turn the circumstance to our favor.
Dice Roll: 1d20+8
d20 Results: 7 (Total = 15)
spot

Player 2: I'm not nearly so optimistic about our chances fighting on this bridge as my friend, so if I take damage I'm jumping off into the big pile of hay below and taking him with me.

d20 Results: 4 (Total = 10)
init

round 1
Dice Roll: 1d20+5
d20 Results: 9 (Total = 14)
attack
Dice Roll: 1d6+4
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 10)
damage
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 10)
balance

round 2
Dice Roll: 1d20+5
d20 Results: 4 (Total = 9)
attack
Dice Roll: 1d6+4
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 9)
damage
d20 Results: 2 (Total = 8)
balance

GM: One of the knolls from the head of the bridge loses his patience and begin barrel charging right at you, half way he slips on the gravel and is whisked off the side of the bridge. Not only does he land on his weapon in an awkward way, which likely was fatal, but his skull connected perfectly with an old hunk of firewood and made a very satisfying grunch sound which echoed through the hallows.

The remaining six knolls move in closer by the second, three from each face. Suddenly one feels he is close enough and lunges at you, but your quick with your balance and dodge the blow. You return a blow and with two deft slashes gut the creature, his entrails spill all over the walkway ahead and falls lifeless to the ground below. On the back side, a knoll brandishing a nastly looking flail swipes at your feet and connects. You maintain your balance through some miracle feat of cunning, but you also feel the pain shooting up your leg. You make a quick shot with your handbow and the bolt strikes true, piercing the creatures eye and penetrating the back if it's helmet.

You take a second to look around, grab your friend by the collar and leap from the bridge, landing safely below. You both roll from the haypile and survey the courtyard again. Something struck you as strange from the angle above, and now you can tell that a secret portcullis hangs over the main entrance, activated my a level-lock on the second floor. What do you do?

Only the first round of combat actually took place here, but the balance rolls and the spot check all played into the result. Notice that in the GM post before the encounter I made no mention of the haystacks below the bridge, but we did know from earlier that the knolls had been raiding local farms, and we did see livestock on the lower level, so it is plausible for the setting there would be a good sized haystack there. There is a line to be drawn here. For example, its ok to create something that has a minor effect on your characters circumstance, I can adjust things to fit, it would not have been ok for the player to say he was going to aim for the trigger to the explosive trap at the end of the bridge, which blows and kills the 4 knolls. Also, feel free to give me as many "if this happens" then I want to "do this thing" statements as you deem necessary. If things ever get out of hand I will revise these guidelines.