Yu-Gi-Oh: The Epic that was Awesome

Old Dec 27 '11, 4:00am
Hawk of Peace and Dove of War

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Epic that was Awesome

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Epic That Was Awesome - Forum
D20 Modern
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Hi, I thought it would be fun to have a Yu-Gi-Oh Roleplay so I am creating one. The world you will be playing in is not in any specific place or time, but is not in continuity with any of the Yu-Gi-Oh series. No Yu-gi-oh characters will make appearences, though common tropes from the series such as the heart of the cards and the shadow realm may appear. The setup for the game is that the card series is brand new, and has never been plaid before. However, the 9 year world champion of every card game, board game, and strategy / tactics event has created the game and is holding a tournament to challenge any who feel they can beat him. Obviously most players will be tacticians, but he is offering a ridiculous amount of award money so it is possible other types may show up. You may have noticed that I said he was the 9 year champion for all of those events. This is because before 9 years ago he had never been hear of and nine years ago he took the world by storm. He's only interested in games though and all of his substantial wealth seems to either be self-generated or tournament winnings. His name is Juan Perish officially, but nobody has seen his face because he likes to play using a computer program and associates. He goes by "the King of Games". Yes, this game will be incredibly campy. This is in keeping with the heart of the series.

Cards can be drawn from any series, but not at first! See Rules for Details. I've only seen the first series so if you are going to try to match the mood of one of the series stick with that one. That being said, there will be no requirement to do so.

Now Mechanics.

For Applications I'll be wanting Name, D20 Modern Class, your 3 pack types you'll want to draw from. The type of deck you will ideally be building (I'll help you along in that direction), an appearence, personality, and background. Any or all of this can be in secret and it can be as much or as little as you want.

Also, I'll be starting the game a week from today. Not much time? Well, I will be accepting players after that as well so it should be fine. I won't be running the game with a specific number of players in mind, because if there are allot I can simply rely more on pvp to keep some occupied and if there are less I can simply make more npcs. Rather, I will accept any player whose application I like an deny any player whose app I don't like. I will not beat around the bush. If I don't like your app I will tell you. You may still try to make another app, or fix the problems I have with the first, problems that will probably be stated in vague useless language like "I don't know... it just didn't feel right." I can occasionally be evil like that.

I hope we all have allot of fun and I'm excited to be running this. With that in mind, let's keep the namecalling and taunting to a minimum. Some people can't handle it, and I don't want those people scared off. Yes, I am a carebear. I care.

EDIT: I have made a decision in regards to banned cards. Every player will be allowed a single banned card slot that will be able to hold a single banned card in their deck. These cards will go by their other title 'forbidden cards' ingame and will be extremely rare and sought after. Epect to mostly find them on mean looking npcs. I did this because I know allot of players really loved an old card that they can't use anymore because it got banned. Be warned. Your opponents will also have a single banned card in their possession and sooner or later someone will get change of hearted.

Game Description:

Hard to believe it's already been nine years since Juan Perish, better known as the King of Games annihilated all competition in every perceivable form of tactical gameplay. Nobody's ever seen the King of Game's Face but everyone knows his logo as is portrayed so often on the screen from which he issues his moves to his employees. Indeed, such is the mystery of the identity of the King of Games that a constant series of investigations have been placed into whether or not he might in fact be multiple people. No answer has been conclusive. For nine years, Perish has kept the game world under his palm, without ever playing a single role outside of game participant. Now, suddenly and without justification, the King of Games has changed the rules. Using his wealth and his reputation as a hero of Japan and cultural icon, the King of Games has cardoned off parts of Japan for a nation-wide tournament. The winner will earn a chance to play against and meet himself, as well as a grand prize of 2.5 million dollars, enough to buy one's heart's desires. The name of the game is one that nobody has ever heard of, and presumably one that the King of Games or his company has invented. It is called Yu-Gi-Oh.

Last edited by Casualcryptic; Dec 27 '11 at 4:34pm..
Ack. Game description matches ad? That's no good! I will change that.

Definitely going to be applying. I'm not familiar with the system, but I will try to learn. I'll probably shoot for either my Exxod Stall/Burn deck or my Cyberdark deck, I haven't quite decided which. Probably Exxod.

Random cards only? 90% of the fun in any TCG is building your own deck. I rather you deny us access to rare cards than to deny the ability to make your own deck. If it's a tournament you say, what kind of player would participate using random cards?

I like the idea of random cards to start off. I mean, we will be able to build our own decks in the future, but think of us as those newbie people in the tournament making a deck out of the cards we have. Just enough to play.[There are people like that starting off.]

well if you start completely randomly, and you want to build a specific type of deck, you might have to completely trade or duel for everything you want. That can take a long time.

I have no interest in building decks that will win turn 3, but...you notice in the anime most people's personality and style come through their deck structure. How am I suppose to RP my character, when the deck is a non-descript collection of random cards? Chances of you even winning against any low level NPC would be low, not to mention someone with a theme deck. Forget about RPing a heroic record of 2 wins 8 losses. How do you even justify having that PC with such a bad record enter the later rounds of the tournament?

I think these are all valid questions.

maybe the rare/ rarer cards can be random, but I would like to determine my common cards.

As I said before. You will explain the deck type you want to me (if this wasn't obvious, you explain it to me so that I can tweak things in your favor) and then choose three pack types from which to assign your starter deck. You will be given a random assortment of cards from those packs, guarenteed at least a basic rare each time. You may trade with other players. You may trade with npcs. You will most likely win cards from other players. You will win cards from npcs. You will be able to buy more packs using your wealth. The system is hardly playing purely from random cards, but you also have to figure out how to deck build strategically. Yes I am taking yu-gi-oh players out of their comfort zones and making them strategize in ways that they may not be used to. No I do not think I am preventing you from playing structured decks. I would however suggest researching which packs your favorite cards come from before deciding which you are going to draw from at the beginning. Spirit decks and a few other obscure types only have one or two packs that support them so those decks will need to be especially particular. If you really want a particular card you can spend excessive amounts of wealth to buy it from card shops within the tournament zone. Prices will be jacked up there, just like in real life. However not every store will have every card you need, and if you must buy cards from outside of the packs you are supposed to be playing from then you will have to resort to either bribery or after market purchasing. Money has value in this game. It can make things happen.

Also, it was mainly the support characters who had awesome theme decks. Yugi's deck was an exodia deck that had a dark magician and a few other minor things like kuriboh at the beginning. It was only good once it evolved. Joey's was worse until it evolved. Tristan's starter deck was beyond redemption. We don't talk about Tea in this thread.

Also, in regards to the '90% of the fun' comment, I based this idea of of a weekly tournament we had at my local game shop which was played with only random cards that could be traded amongst the contestants that turned out to be a blast. I mean the funnest games I've ever had. Maybe this will turn out like that, maybe it won't. But we will be following similar rules so I have high hopes.

EDIT: I have made a decision in regards to banned cards. Every player will be allowed a single banned card slot that will be able to hold a single banned card in their deck. These cards will go by their other title 'forbidden cards' ingame and will be extremely rare and sought after. Epect to mostly find them on mean looking npcs. I did this because I know allot of players really loved an old card that they can't use anymore because it got banned. Be warned. Your opponents will also have a single banned card in their possession and sooner or later someone will get change of hearted.

okay I think you have a point there, I just still don't know what you mean by the three packs, like booster packs? or something?

Yes, like booster packs. Or hell, tournament packs even. I will reward your progress in the tournament by allowing you to access new packs, also of your choice, but at the beginning you will be limited. These aren't three packs as in, alright open your three packs and build your deck, but three packs as in 'alright, I got some more wealth. I take 5 of pack A, 2 of pack B, and one of pack C'. Consider your chosen packs to be your building materials. You'll find that most decks only require 1-3 packs to build well, which is why that is your starting number. Again, there will be many ways to access cards outside of these packs, this is just the way you start off.