Notices


Chapter 2: The Lizard Hunt

 
Chapter 2: The Lizard Hunt

The bargain is sealed, and Tailen smiles, satisfied. She takes you down to her personal armory, a storehouse of the very finest weapons and armor in the House and allows you to draw a fresh ration of equipment.

After that, preparations begin in earnest. A half-score of duerger drovers arrive, accompanied by two pairs of big heavy-hauling work-lizards and a handful of wheeled cages, linked together by heavy chains into a kind of makeshift train. The upside of this arrangement is that will enable you to haul a Hell of a lot of new kobold slaves. The downside is that it will make your caravan ponderous and unwieldy at best. Given that you're traveling into the acknowledged territory of an intelligent enemy, the odds of an ambush are so high that you may as well include it as a positive part of your plans. Nymeria therefore ensures forward and rear security--assigning herself to rear-side security in true and typical drow fashion. This leaves you and your compatriots as the heads of the convoy, in charge of reconnaissance--and therefore springing all ambushes.

With preparations complete, you form up and leave the next day, passing through Fey Crossing under the watchful ere of Quellan, House Urbasano's senior mage. Soon you find yourself on the road, leading a ponderous caravan up through a set of inky black tunnels into an area of certain danger. Still, you have a map, and you're not stuck in House Urbasano serving yet more drow. It could be worse.




Eduardo's search through the armory is brief but fruitful, and he comes out of it with a usual compliment of supplies and armor, and a strange blade that seems to ring with a harsh note when sliding out of the scabbard, or when its surface impacts anything. The bard smiles at the arcane magics he feels from the sword.

When the caravan starts off, he mutters something unintelligable when Nymeria leaves them to lead form the back, and motions for Gruunk to take point. He decided to not use the sunrod at this moment, relying on basically following someone who can see in the dark, and a dimmed lantern for his way forward.

Tarner takes a Rod of Reaving from the Armory. He doesn't embed it in his arm, though, as that might tip the drow off to the existence of his hidden Rod of Corruption. Readying himself in case of ambush, Tarner strikes a Sunrod and places it into a compartment in his chest. While they move, he reviews over the contents of the book. It certainly is powerful, no doubt about that. But it is also very disturbing. If I can, I will not submit.


Gruunk Bloodfist
Half-orc Barbarian (Berserker)
Current HP: 39/39 Bloodied: 19
Healing Surges Used: 0/9 (9)
Resources Used:

Conditions:


Gruunk peruses the armory generally impressed with the assortment of items she has collected over the years. Spying it sitting in the corner behind the countless quarrels of hand crossbow bolts and drow long knives is a largely unused
Greataxe of Defense +1

Weapon: Any melee

Enhancement Bonus: Attack rolls and damage rolls

Critical: +1d6 damage per plus

PropertyYou gain resist 1 to all damage while you are holding the weapon.
Level 14 or 19: Resist 2 to all damage.
Level 24 or 29: Resist 3 to all damage.

Utility Power Daily (Immediate Interrupt)Trigger: You take damage from a melee attack that hits you.

Effect: You take only half of the damage.
greataxe. He grabs the weapon and tests its balance immediately noticing the ancient primal magicks encircling him and protecting him from harm. Satisfied, he sets out gathering other, more mundane equipment in preparation for the long trip ahead.

He looks toward the front of the column as Eduardo gestures toward it. He nods firmly not needing words. Ready to the trek, he begins leading the group into the depths of the unknown.


Fortune



Fortune takes her time searching through various items in the storeroom. While searching, she happens to stray very close to Eduardo, close enough that only he can hear her whispered question: "I fail to see why that question was irrelevant or inappropriate. Please enlighten me."

After a short whispered conversation, she settles for a fine silk vest. Its color is somewhere between blue and green, changing with even the slightest movement. 'Why, I hadn't expected to find such a fine item here,' she mentally smiles to herself. It fits her fine -- although a bit revealing for her taste -- with the added benefit that she can wear it under her slave robe without attracting attention.

While walking with the others, she makes sure they are not overheard when she starts discussing with the others: "If the dragon is interested in speaking with us before attacking, we could tell it -- honestly -- that Nymeria is the leader of this caravan, and we are following her orders."

Because you asking such questions can be used against you later, my dear, answers Eduardo to Fortune's question. The bard swings the sword through the air a few times, leaving trails of harsh notes as he does, and they're irrelevant. You can't resurrect someone without a corpse, and there are many ways of getting rid of a body completely. So you asking Tailen about something like this could have put our chance to see the sunlight in jeopardy if she thought we didn't know what we're doing.

Eduardo grins, so don't do it again, ok? If you've a question, ask yourself first 'does this make me sound like an amateur?'. If the answer is yes, don't ask it. Discuss it later in private, or do independent research.

As Eduardo and Fortune fall to bickering over the definition of a silly question, Gruunk looks ahead and sees a pair of earthen barricades across the road. Though Tarner's sunrod isn't much help in the gloom of the mortal Underdark, still, Gruunk has sharp eyes that are well accustomed to living underground. He can see that the forces arrayed against you are kobolds, and that they set up in a pair of deliberate defensive positions directly across the road ahead. To the left, a second, smaller trail branches off into what looks like a low cave.

However, before Gruunk can issue a warning call, the first kobold javelin is in the air! It strikes Nurse in the shoulder, leaving a ragged tear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kobold 1.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)

Gruunk Bloodfist
Half-orc Barbarian (Berserker)
Current HP: 39/39 Bloodied: 19
Healing Surges Used: 0/9 (9)
Resources Used:

Conditions:


Gruunk growls as the javelin flies. His defensive posture improves as he jogs wide of the northern barrier. Then with a charge, he move quickly on one of the sword-wielding beast. The attack swings wide, but he carefully watches the two sword-wielding kobolds.


Having remained mostly silent during the onset of their journey, Abeyla lets loose a slight cry when the javelin pierces her shoulder, despite her leather armor. Biting her lip to the point of blood, the half-eladrin moves forward with a two handed sword visible on her back. Inching into the dimming light, she hurls a handful of black sand at the creatures behind the barricades, eliciting a cry from them as a look of cruel satisfaction washes over her.

As Nurse moves up, a giant iron vice snaps at his leg. He deftly avoids it and gets off his spell, but WOW! That almost hurt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kobold 1a.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us