Named Man

The Deep Waters of Dybeol

The Deep Waters of Dybeol - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 6

The Deep Waters of Dybeol

"The question of the monster inflamed all minds."
~Jules Verne

The GameThe Deep Waters of Dybeol is a D&D 3.5 role-playing game of deep intrigue and mystery, of disaster at sea, and of political and economic machinations on land. Though it is a tale of high adventure, it features a cast who has not asked for greatness, but rather one that has had the opportunity for greatness thrust upon them.

This game will be 90% roleplaying and only 10% dice-rolling. Combat will be significant and plot-altering rather than random and inconsequential. If you are looking for a dungeon crawl this will not be the game for you. But if you're interested in writing, in co-creating a story, in giving birth to a character who might one day be a hero in a desperate effort to save the town they love from certain destruction at the hands of the greedy and the powerful, then read on my friend.

Application Deadline: 11:59pm, January 16

Let Me Tell You a Tale
Sunset Lady Lost with All Hands!

...Just over a week ago, Isaac Walsh's fishing boat, Sunset Lady, set out from Dybeol Harbor to begin another journey of prosperous fishing in his favorite hunting grounds north of Squall Isle. They were expected to be out for four days, but when the fourth day came and went, and then the fifth, people began to wonder. Now, Alderman Lorlock has officially declared Sunset Lady lost at sea with all hands. Eight men were aboard her when she was lost. We have learned that Alderman Lorlock is calling for an official investigation...

Charles Joslen read the leaflet that had blown up against his front door with grave incredulity. Isaac Walsh was a good man, and so were his crew. They'd been the talk of Dybeol for days now, and he'd heard it all. Everything from bad weather offshore to Suicide Run, from Othaletha’s Rocks to Othaletha herself. Kraken legends aside, one thing Charles knows for sure is that something about this one stinks like three day old fish. Too many things are being whispered, too many notions outside the usual. Ships are lost all the time and don't garner this sort of attention.

Alright, well, not all the time, but often enough that if you've lived in Dybeol for any length of time, you know it happens. If you fish Dybeol's waters, you know the risks. If you try to save time by making Suicide Run, you deserve what you get. Half the time, that's actually what happens. Probably more than half. A ship laden with fresh catch stays out longer than is good for the meat, and tries to shave off a day of sailing by running the rocks, and that current was just made for murder. Broken boats and broken bodies wash up enough to bear testament to that.

"So why in the name of the Nine does that whipping boy Lorlock want an investigation?" thought Charles. Down at the Wrightsman, the talk around the table is that Lorlock's pointing a pretty heavy finger (well, as heavy as he can make it without Alderman Smythe's help) at the Chapel of Deep Waters. Charles mused, "But that's ridiculous. What do those choir boys know about fishing? And didn't Fat Tom say that they were in it pretty deep with House Sand (just look at that shiny new Chapel!), deep enough to not be fooling around with anything else? Fat Tom's a drunk though. The idea is idiotic...the so-called Great Houses don't want anything to do with dirty ol’ Dybeol."

Charles’ wife interrupted his thought process with a question. He didn't think, just looked up at her and declared "What? Me? Volunteer for the investigation? Of course, I'm gonna sign up! It's the most interesting game in town right now."

She flashed a knowing smile back at him, "You mean you're not afraid of the Kraken?" He raised his eyebrows, silently communicating his distaste for that particular morsel of local flavor.

Your GM

The Empire of Glammer and the Town of Dybeol - A Homebrew SettingThis story takes place in the Empire of Glammer, a homebrew setting for D&D 3.5 of my own design. It is a medieval world on the cusp of a cumbersome and dirty industrial revolution existing in the gray shades of morality. It is the same setting I've run my previous MW games in, so some of you at least are familiar with it.

This particular story will take place in the fishing town of Dybeol, on Glammer's northeast coastline. It's a smallish town of 2000 or so souls. The landscape is like the northwest coast of Scotland, with similar harsh weather patterns, with the rough seas of New England. For as long as anyone can remember, Dybeol is economically ok -not great, but not poor- (though recently rumors have abounded that there is more money in Dybeol than most guess at or will ever see) and somewhat depressed emotionally. In fact, a common phrase is "the dark cloud of Dybeol" which is used to describe the idea on a corporate or a personal level that you just can't seem to get ahead.

There is a lot more information available about the Empire of Glammer and the town of Dybeol (including maps and a cast of characters) in the Game Forum sub-thread entitled "World Information." Pantheon information is also available there.

Take a trip there now by clicking here.

Character CreationIn the wake of the recent tragedy at sea involving Sunset Lady, and her captain and crew, Alderman Jarl Lorlock has issued a call for those qualified to come forward in order that they might assist the Alderman in an investigation into probable causes of the accident. From those volunteers, Alderman Lorlock will be hand-picking a select group to proceed at his direction. Your characters will be that group.

Such an investigation is notable in that these kinds of accidents happen a lot. Without investigation. The waters off Dybeol are treacherous and rocky, and only the most skilled sailors can fish their vibrant currents. Also, like every other time a ship has been lost, the local population has gotten itself worked up to a frenzy over the "Othaletha" legend - a tale with as long a history as the purported beast's tentacles, about a Kraken that supposedly dwells in the deep waters offshore and preys on hapless fishing vessels. The Alderman has asked you to do what you can to quiet that talk down. Hysteria does no one any good.

Questions?
I am happy to answer any and all questions you may have - save those that have to do with race and class that I have already addressed. I am really looking forward to running this game for you and I think it is going to be a wonderful experience! I look forward to reading your applications and playing with you! Character Applications will be accepted for at least a week and a half. I'll post a closing date once interest dies down. Good luck!

"Don't let the dark cloud catch ye."
~Common fisherman's saying of the town of Dybeol, Glammer Empire.

Game Description:

Sunset Lady Lost with All Hands!

...Just over a week ago, Isaac Walsh's fishing boat, the Sunset Lady set out from Dybeol Harbor to begin another journey of prosperous fishing in his favorite hunting grounds north of Squall Isle. They were expected to be out for four days, but when the fourth day came and went, and then the fifth, people began to wonder. Now, Alderman Lorlock has officially declared the Sunset Lady lost at sea with all hands. Eight men were aboard her when she was lost. We have learned that Alderman Lorlock is calling for an official investigation...

Everyone knows the waters are dangerous and boats are often lost. Was the incident a hapless sea accident? If so, why are some powerful people pushing for a deeper investigation, and why are some of those same people casting a baleful glance at the Chapel of Deep Waters? Why, too, do the people and clergy of the Chapel of Deep Waters point the finger beyond Dybeol's borders to the economic machinations of House Sand? And why, for the Maker's sake, will the people just not let go of the legend of the kraken for crying out loud? There has always been, and always will be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the tragedies at sea...

The Dark Cloud of Dybeol seems to be hanging low of late, indeed.

Last edited by Whitleyrr; Jan 16 '12 at 1:26am.. Reason: Restored original deadline.
Yargh! Here she be, the mighty and feared sea serpent known as an interested player!

I am thinking of ... Adventuresome rogue/warlock/fighter, depending on which class we need. He could work as any of them.

And ironically, Mick beat me to the idea of a bard. Instead, I will work on the village priest, sick of reassuring people about this kraken nonsense and eager to put the silliness to rest once and for all.

@Toliudar, and anyone else intereted in a divine class - you may want to read all the info in the game thread before getting too far into your character. Religion is going to play a big role in this story, but this town already has a 'village priest' per se. And they're major characters. This is not at all to discourage divine classes, just be sure you figure out how they fit into the scheme of things here in Dybeol. I should have said something about that in the ad. Have fun!

I'm curious, with magic from the past and an upcoming industrial revolution, have you considered artificers from Eberron?

Posting interest. Will have to read your background materials tomorrow, but initially thinking a native human ranger.

TG

What's included in core? Does the Complete series count? (I'm guessing no, since the phb2 was specified, but no harm in asking, right?)

I'm curious. How do druids fit into this grand scheme of things? Not sure if I've got enough focus left to split for this game, although it looks really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitleyrr View Post
@Toliudar, and anyone else intereted in a divine class - you may want to read all the info in the game thread before getting too far into your character. Religion is going to play a big role in this story, but this town already has a 'village priest' per se. And they're major characters. This is not at all to discourage divine classes, just be sure you figure out how they fit into the scheme of things here in Dybeol. I should have said something about that in the ad. Have fun!
I have a few possibilities I could follow, based on the existing priesthood, so if you don't mind I'll run them past you before proceeding too far with a concept:
  • A journeyman priest of Teekond, who is on an obligatory 'walkabout' as the final part of his training for the priesthood. He has been in town for just a few weeks, trading news from away and prodigious use of mending spells in exchange for food and board.
  • A young acolyte of Rev. Grambling. Probably treats the old halfling as a slightly crotchety father figure.
  • A shamanistic Native Human worshipper of Jaeger who thinks of himself more as a hunter than as a priest.
  • Dwarven smith, whose work in town mostly involves brass work for the ships and nails and tools for everyone else. Probably a worshipper of Nulemti.
  • The town undertaker and gravedigger, who buries you next to whatever church you want, but is himself a worshipper of Mosheach.

Any of these workable?