OOC - The Fourth Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Walker View Post
so this is part of the 5 settlements?
Sorry, but the towers imo are not part of the settlements, but neither are they part of the domain or something. because they do not contain strict population I thought this would not be a problem, shrug..

How about we make this a non-issue and just allow the DM to moderate it?

Military fortifications were originally banned from the original DM. I havn't permitted the players to build up from that as of yet.

In regards to rare substances and goods we can re-hash things.

And on a side note... I would like to request that any issues with another player or what is currently going on within their realm be sent to me, so that I can moderate....

I hope... ;>.>
Next topic.... Cohorts, shall I toss up a poll?
In addition, shall I also make this thread Private so that lords can talk amongst themselves without cohorts noticing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxanadu View Post
And on a side note... I would like to request that any issues with another player or what is currently going on within their realm be sent to me, so that I can moderate....

I hope... ;>.>
In addition, shall I also make this thread Private so that lords can talk amongst themselves without cohorts noticing?
No probs, and yes, keeping grand politics from the servants is cool, lol.

Quote:
How about we make this a non-issue and just allow the DM to moderate it?
Quote:

I hope... ;>.>
Yes to everything! I am Yes Man! Ahem, but yes, I agree to all the suggestions in the quotes above. Suggestion for solution PMed to Vox.

Buh? The only one to mention a special material? Like THREE PEOPLE said or implied that they had access to the exotic woods. That's stuff with mechanical abilities in D&D! Stuff like Darkwood, Bronzewood, Duskwood, Livewood, Serrenwood, Soarwood, Wildwood, Densewood, etc....?

A few people mentioned poisons, alchemy, exotic animals, I think a few mentioned Chitin -- all strategic resources... of COURSE people are going to mention availability to strategic resources. That's part of the point!

Why don't we just take a little bit of time and haggle out which countries should be known for what?

For instance, I would like Chimeria to have access to Serrenwood, because I envision it as having a central role in their cultural history. I don't need to be the exclusive provider of it by any means, but I would like to have some.

Chimeria is known to be poor in metals, so if someone mentioned wanting Baatorian iron, we'll probably trade with you for it, but where it's a national staple for you, it's a rare status symbol for us (and I imagine Serrenwood going the opposite way).

As for trading in alcohol, Chimeria is a farming country - we produce a little of everything. I had originally intended to model the country off of southern France, but once I realized just how sodding BIG Chimeria is, I realized that was not feasible and turned toward a general agrarian model more akin to the central United States or rural China. If the Elven Courts want the monopoly on expensive wine and someone else wanted claim on whisky, would anyone have a problem with Chimeria having two alcohol exports virtually unique to us: stout (working-man's beer, think Guiness) and something that would be a good analog for either sake or vodka (since both can be produced relatively cheaply from abundant supplies of grain)?

@ Sage: Sounds cool.

I would like to call dibs on Heavy wine not unlike spanish riocha crianza.

Well, let's see for the woods, I suppose. Who that has forests is interested in what wood?

Laenar Wood: in Dragon Annual 5, mentioned as a 'light wood' for arrows. Possibly replaceable with Darkwood.

Bluewood: Unapproachable East, an alchemically treated wood that is as hard as steel and half the weight of normal wood. The wood is implied to be something exotic, but seems to have the same properties as Darkwood. Thus, possibly replaceable with Darkwood with alchemical treatment, which is Darkleaf (see below, though that can't be used to make weapons). Can explicitly be used in weapons.

Bronzewood: First in Arms & Equipment Guide, then in Eberron Campaign Setting. Basically the Wood version of iron. Can presumably be used to make wooden swords that are just as good as steel. IE, implied to be able to be used in weapons. Maybe can be folded into Coldwood, or vice versa.

Darkleaf: Darkwood & Alchemically Treated Darkwood Leaves. Act kind of like mithral, though a bit weaker than the version of mithril that Duskwood is, albeit implied to be more versatile (ie, more armor types). Good for Armors. First in Arms & Equipment Guide, most recently in Eberron Campaign Setting.

Leafweave: Alchemically treated Leaves. Acts like Leather. Races of the Wild Originally in Arms & Equipment Guide and Dragon Magazine 279. Most recently in Eberron Campaign Setting.

Darkwood: DMG, half the weight of normal wooden items. Possibly the basis of several other 'wood' items from various books.

Serrenwood: Book of Exalted Deeds. An automatically ghost touch wood, used especially in bows, with DM ruling, maybe could be used elsewhere. Useful if you don't want to make things +2 to make thim able to affect ghosts.

Duskwood: Magic of Faerun. The most explicitly, without alchemical treatment, wood that acts in most ways like Mithral. Can explicitly be used in weapons. Unfortunately, is described as hard to work, ie, especially compared to the other mithral wood -- Darkleaf, from Eberron, and to a lesser extent, Bluewood... or even Ironwooded Darkwood (if DM rules that functions like Mithral, which is plausible).

Wildwood: A wood that heals itself. Races of the Wild. Can probably be folded into Livewood, or vice versa. Can be made into armor.

Hardwood: A generic hardwood for arrows, more durable than normal wood. Dragon Magazine 330. Can probably be folded into Darkwood, or Bronzewood or Coldwood, perhaps.

Livewood: A wood that heals itself. Eberron Campaign setting. Can probably be folded into Wildwood, or vice versa. Can't be made into armor or non wooden weapons.

Soarwood: Wood that starts out just a bit heaver than Darkwood, but, when alchemically treated, is buoyant in air. The basis for Eberron's airships. Airships might be beyond the scope of this game. Eberron Campaign Setting.

Densewood: An extra heavy wood. Can't be made into anything special. Eberron Campaign Setting.

Coldwood: Just as good as Iron, one of the few woods that can explicitly be made into ammunition, armors, weapons, etc. Can possibly be folded into Bronzewood. Dragon Magazine 357.

Fey Cherry Wood: A wood that is GREAT for making magic items. 10% reduction in the price of making a magic item from this wood and its leaves. No mention on if it can be made into weapons and armor, or how it responds to alchemical treatment (blueing?) or ironwooding. Dragon Magazine 357.

Ironwood: Not actually a wood in D&D. This is a spell that, when combined with an appropriate craft check or a shape wood spell, automatically makes the wood as hard as iron, AND has a clause that lets +1 weapons and +1 armors be made... with no expenditure of XP or even GP beyond the raw materials. Yet another reason Druids are overpowered... Also, the spell implies that this only happens with normal woods, like oak and such; no mention is made of any of the 'lighter than normal wood' options, ie, what would happen if you Ironwood a Darkwood breastplate? What happens if you Ironwood an alchemically treated Darkwood Breastplate (ie, a Darkleaf Breastplate)?. Would the former act like a Mithral Breastplate except for the hardness? Would the latter act like a Mithral breastplate, but with better hardness? Would that perhaps get the hardness all the way to Adamantine's hardness? Would it then provide Damage Reduction like Adamantine? Would a weapon of it bypass hardness in objects like Adamantine? Unknown, and possibly requiring DM intervention. PHB.

Oak: Only mentioned because non-magical oak is the only wood that the Shillelagh spell will work on, should the DM give armies access to this. PHB. This is an example of just plain old wood in the PHB.

By the way, that's a list of woods. Not plants or things you can get from the plant kingdom, but woods and woods alone...

I hate when I sometimes press a random button and backspace and then leave the page suddenly, losing everything I wrote...

Lessee, short version:

1) I had only ever heard of darkwood before, if these other materials are being used, I need to know what they are
2) it makes sense to me that, for instance, some of these exotic woods exist in each large forest, and that some exist in multiple areas (particularly adjacent ones) but some are unique to specific realms. And that this decision be made based on relative power & availability in the interests of balance
3) I had originally chosen a small amount of darkwood for my realm, but also denied myself gold, iron, cattle, etc., denying myself access to swords, heavy armor, leather, etc. I have lots of artisans and craftsmen, but that's a population issue.
4) There is no need for someone to change their alcohol export, for instance, just because someone else is exporting it. Sure, multiple realms trying to export large quantities of wine to mutual neighbors would seem to be a waste, but a) everyone's got 10 exports but there are only 8 other realms picking imports from you anyway, and b) there is of course the smaller, high-end market that is looking for specific wines. I mean, we could be talking about Champagne or Boone's Farm. IC, there's no reason why two different regions couldn't both enjoy a healthy wine trade. OOC, each export is only supposed to go to one importer, so 2 wine exporters could sell to 2 different importers. IC (again), there is the potential for rivalries over wine, contests, spying, trading secrets, snobbery, etc. Plus, the wines could simply be very different: dark vs light, sweet vs sour, etc.