The Warming Hearth - Out of Character chatter

I just wanted to stop by and see how everybody was doing today! My application is done, and I am ready to go if chosen. . . *crosses fingers*

I read the introduction to this room and couldn't help thinking "While frost crusts over your companions." How morbid.

*takes some mulled wine*

So. Is this far enough north for the midnight sun to be an issue, does one have to be further north for that, or is it magically not an issue?

I'm not done just yet, but even so, any comments on it (second page of applications) are welcome. Transmutation, I haven't looked at yours in detail as yet (Huh. Must be busy with something still. ), but to start, I like your style. Though that's probably not terribly helpful, I'm afraid.

Hey, thanks Firesong! What you've got looks really good already. I can see our Neanderthals actually working very well together. Enshu could definitely become the defender type (Particularly because a lot of healing can be bestowed on nearby allies) and protect our weak, spellcasting friends while Ruln brings the fight to the enemies.

If we're put into the group together, Enshu is probably going to become convinced that Ruln is a cat spirit in human (sometimes) form.

Whereas Ruln's tribe considers a shaman to be someone who talks with the spirits, rather than necessarily having power over them or having mystical powers, so if they do both end up in the group, I can see an eventual friendship with a few misunderstandings. Spiritualism's always a fun element, there.

@ Firesong, yeah the midnight sun is kind of an issue. On summer solstice, there's 20 hours of daylight; on winter solstice, there's 4 hours of daylight.

I'm still planning on keeping with the normal overland travel times (by the books, 8 hours of travel in a day, any more is considered a forced march), so at certain times of year a party might be traveling in darkness for part of the time, or resting while it's still daylight.

TBH, before this game, I always kind of glossed over Neanderthals and the Primeval PrC. Probably because I tend to play casters, but I never gave them a lot of thought before. Looking back over them I can see their coolness.

Excellent! The midnight sun part, that is. Although seeing the coolness of Neanderthals and primevals as well. :P

Hey what book are the neanderthal in i would like to see the stats? man everyones apps are looking good. what ever happens it will be a cool group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
@ Firesong, yeah the midnight sun is kind of an issue. On summer solstice, there's 20 hours of daylight; on winter solstice, there's 4 hours of daylight.

I'm still planning on keeping with the normal overland travel times (by the books, 8 hours of travel in a day, any more is considered a forced march), so at certain times of year a party might be traveling in darkness for part of the time, or resting while it's still daylight.
Also meaning we're going to have some really, really cold walks at times, cool. (Used to live far enough north to have it like that... once the sun drops it goes from tolerable to "Why is there icicles in my nose?" really fast.)

Would I be right in assuming you'll be using the rules from Frostburn on how cold effects various materials? (And people in metal armor) Such as being exposed to extreme cold for to long either freezes objects or makes them more brittle than normal? Because if that's the case I'll probably invest in a pair of blue ice weapons.

Oh and I took the substance addiction flaw for my guy, and decided to go with tobacco (didn't want to put to dark/messed up spin on it.), what would you price cigarettes and matches/lighters (or their dnd equivalent) at? I've tried to look around, but I haven't been able to find anything official.