The Warming Hearth - Out of Character chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
Scouts can be fairly awesome, but the skirmish ability is kind of arbitrary. I move ten feet towards you, then ten feet away from you, improving my damage both times! Although there are stranger things, I suppose, and the idea that started it was a good one. Also, Killer, I've always liked taking the few levels of wild plains outrider for any mounted build.

Incidentally, I prefer the Shugenja to the Wu Jen. I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it has to do with the implication that their magic actually draws on the elements, rather than using magic to control the elements, but that's just a guess and may well be wrong.
I don't think that's quite how Scouts work, it says that they get the bonus to damage if they move at least ten feet in a round, so moving more than that has no additional benefit (except if you take the Improved Skirmish feat from Scoundrel). If you meant that both moving towards someone and away from someone improves your damage, that's truer but if you attack then move away, you won't get extra skirmish damage since you haven't moved before you attacked to satisfy the requirement for skirmish... unless you have Quick Draw, charged an opponent with a short sword, then on your next turn did a triple backflip backwards and pulled out your shortbow in mid-air and launched an arrow into the wound your short sword had made a second ago. Yes the backflip is necessary.

I played a Shugenja for a one-shot once, they were meh. I still prefer a Spirit Shaman or a Druid. I've never played a Wu Jen, mostly because I never really got them flavor-wise.

You are correct as to how the scout works. I'm simply saying that it's odd that it doesn't matter where you move in relation to your opponent - one round you can move closer, the next you can move away, then repeat. If you found a way to do so without provoking AoOs, which isn't hard, you could even simply move ten feet to the side, moving slowly in a square around a melee combatant.

Quote:
You are correct as to how the scout works. I'm simply saying that it's odd that it doesn't matter where you move in relation to your opponent - one round you can move closer, the next you can move away, then repeat. If you found a way to do so without provoking AoOs, which isn't hard, you could even simply move ten feet to the side, moving slowly in a square around a melee combatant.
Sorry about the misunderstanding then, didn't mean to insult your knowledge of the game

What's even more ridiculous is the motion requirement can be fulfilled by falling. Climb tree, jump out on hapless foes, repeat. Better idea, Raptoran Scout with Diving Charge..

Not to worry, no offence taken! Maybe a little bit of defence... :P

Also hilarious is that being thrown at your enemy qualifies.

Quote:
Not to worry, no offence taken! Maybe a little bit of defence... :P

Also hilarious is that being thrown at your enemy qualifies.
Oh my goodness, if we had a Halfling Scout, Enshu would shotput them all day long. 22 Strength has to be good for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransmutionOrchest View Post
That would be my guess. Arcane casters and rogues (no offense Nikita) just don't seem cut out to survive up here. Although that's utterly false, there are certain archtypes most people cling to. Honestly, I thought we'd have seen a couple Scouts by now but maybe I'm the only one who actually like them, same goes for Wu Jen. I could definitely see one of them up here.
None taken. And I do suppose "arctic wilderness" evokes certain ideas for most people. I myself focused more on the city part of the setting, and in any large city you'll find rogues, in my case a rogue with cold endurance and a well developed distaste for metal armor, but still, for the most part a rogue. And well lets face it, the wizard has a spell for that, nuff said.

But then again I know I've seen at least one other rogue, possibly two and a fighter.

You're totally right, there's one other rogue and a rogue/assassin (but I'm assuming Assassin levels come later) and one more straight-up fighter with a fighter/sorcerer mixed in for good measure. At this point there are just as many Rogues as there are rangers so I'm going to put go try to take my foot out of my mouth now.

And if you're focused on the city, you may need to hold Enshu's hand for a little while. His sanity is rather dubious as it is and that never bodes well are normal social interactions.

@ Nikita, spot on. Despite its harsh surroundings, Scurdaeg is a metropolis through and through, with plenty of opportunities for roguish people to ply their trades...And while lots of stuff will happen outside the city, there will be things going on in the city for the party to do. Trying to keep a healthy mixture of both.

I tossed in a skill monkey (I have to check my character sheet, but I am pretty sure I ended up near 100 skill points), you could probably shotput my 37lb self! Transmution is right, there are enough of us skill monkeys to get this going. I figured roaming lie detector + diplomatic/bluffer/trap-setting/lock-picking/etc.+more guy would be of use

Quote:
Originally Posted by waicokid View Post
I tossed in a skill monkey (I have to check my character sheet, but I am pretty sure I ended up near 100 skill points), you could probably shotput my 37lb self!
That would be certain to catch them flat-footed! It also solves the problem of not being able to reach vital spots on an larger enemy if you get thrown directly at their face