Notices

Character Creation and Related Questions

Character Creation and Related Questions

• Statistics are derived via 36 point buy.
  • Races are limited. All Core races and most of their variants are allowed. Plane-touched are forbidden. For anything not in this collection, please ask permission. Unfortunately there is not enough room in the setting for literally every race which has been released.
  • Classes and variant classes are allowed from most WotC material. Psionics are allowed but are a form of magic and Psions are spellcasters in every way except for their obvious mechanical differences. A Psion would be called wizard, sorcerer, witch, warlock etc. depending on ability, temperament and affiliation.
  • Do not be afraid to play a sub-optimal class. I am capable of flexibility and will ensure that all accepted characters are useful in some way.
  • Characters begin at Level 4 with 5400g to spend on equipment.
  • Flaws and Traits may be used, but it requires 2 Flaws to achieve 1 Bonus Feat. Only 1 Bonus Feat may be gained in this way. Flaws may not be taken which logically contradict Feats the character has or intends to take such as Weak Will and Iron Will.
  • Most classes do not receive enough feats as far as I'm concerned. Feats are awarded every odd numbered level.
  • Classes which previously received 2+Int skill points per level, with the exception of primary casters, now receive 4+Int Skill Points per level. The Feat "Able Learner" which reduces Cross Class Skill Point costs to 1:1 may be taken by any race.
  • Hit points are calculated via the three-quarters rounded down rule. For example, a level of Wizard would grant you 3 Hit Points plus your Con modifier, while a level of fighter would grant you 7. Hit points at first level are calculated as maximum plus Con modifier, as usual.
  • I do not enforce Multiclassing XP penalties so long as you don't get ridiculous with it.
  • Alignment is a testy subject and a philosophical nightmare. As long as things are well explained there is significant leeway in alignment restrictions and requirements. Characters should not be gleefully evil, however, and PvP is disallowed without an excellent (and I do mean excellent) reason.
  • Any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Approved Sources Include: Player's Handbook I&II, Dungeon Master's Guide, Complete Series, Races Series (ask me if you intend to play a non-Core race as above), Magic Item Compendium, Spell Compendium, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness, Eberron Campaign Setting, Magic of Eberron, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Player's Guide to Faerun, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon, Unearthed Arcana (some variant rules not used, ask), Tome of Battle, Miniatures Handbook, Expanded Psionics Handbook

Expect a signup soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
I am quite flexible with the rules and will ensure that all accepted characters are useful in some way.
Can you please elaborate on this point (especially the bolded part)? Possibly with an example

Also: what do you mean by this? (Normal pb has 8 as base)

Quote:
[*]Statistics are derived via 32 point buy with every statistic beginning at 9.
To be clear, would 16,16,16,12,10,10 be a 32pb in your system?

Finally, a list of accepted sources would be very useful

To answer your first question: What I mean by this is that I always feel that the rules should serve the players and the game. An enjoyable gaming experience all around is the ultimate goal of any system and if the rules get in the way of that then they must sometimes be moved.

This means that compared to some GM's I'm not a particularly strict constructionist. For example, if someone wished to play a Prestige Class that had a requirement which doesn't exist in this game (follower of a deity which is not in the pantheon, resident of a geographical locale which doesn't exist in the world) I would work with the player to refluff the class so that it fits in and can be played.

Another example would be my willingness to come up with approximate rules on-the-spot for certain combat maneuvers or actions which may not exist in the game as-is (swinging from a chandelier to kick someone for example).

I can understand why the point would be worrisome, but it is not intended in a way that means that I deliberately break or ignore core game procedures at a whim. Rather it means that I am more interested in a productive game experience than following the letter of every rule.

As to the rest of the statement, if one of my characters appears to be slightly below the power curve I would work with that player in order to bring them to the same general level of usefulness. Not everyone needs to be a combat beast but everyone should feel relevant.

That might include suggestions of Feats or combat actions or it might involve slightly powering the character up with an extra item or small ability tweaks. I don't forsee it to be much of a problem; the statement was ultimately meant to encourage folks to apply with lower-tier classes if they are passionate about playing them.

I edited the statement in order to get that across in, what I believe, is a less dramatic manner.

To answer your other questions: In order to cut down on general confusion, I have simply changed the rules to allow for a 36 point buy.

I will add a list of accepted sources to the thread.

No, any class which normally gets 2+Int (i.e. a Fighter) gets 4+Int instead. A Wizard gets 2+Int as usual. A Rogue is likewise unchanged at 8+Int.

Edited the syntax in the above post to make this clearer.

i see book of exalted deeds is available ...... must resist urge to want to apply with a sacred vow monk, unless this is not a problem for either the gm or the other players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhand View Post
How do you feel about non-WOTC/homebrew variants?
I am wary of them. Submit me details in a PM and we can discuss further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanno
i see book of exalted deeds is available ...... must resist urge to want to apply with a sacred vow monk, unless this is not a problem for either the gm or the other players?
That will likely depend on the Vow. Vow of Nonviolence would likely mean you'd be off in a monastery somewhere rather than traveling with a largely military expedition to potentially unfriendly soil. Others might work.

Quote:
To answer your first question: What I mean by this is that I always feel that the rules should serve the players and the game. An enjoyable gaming experience all around is the ultimate goal of any system and if the rules get in the way of that then they must sometimes be moved.

This means that compared to some GM's I'm not a particularly strict constructionist. For example, if someone wished to play a Prestige Class that had a requirement which doesn't exist in this game (follower of a deity which is not in the pantheon, resident of a geographical locale which doesn't exist in the world) I would work with the player to refluff the class so that it fits in and can be played.

Another example would be my willingness to come up with approximate rules on-the-spot for certain combat maneuvers or actions which may not exist in the game as-is (swinging from a chandelier to kick someone for example).

I can understand why the point would be worrisome, but it is not intended in a way that means that I deliberately break or ignore core game procedures at a whim. Rather it means that I am more interested in a productive game experience than following the letter of every rule.

As to the rest of the statement, if one of my characters appears to be slightly below the power curve I would work with that player in order to bring them to the same general level of usefulness. Not everyone needs to be a combat beast but everyone should feel relevant.

That might include suggestions of Feats or combat actions or it might involve slightly powering the character up with an extra item or small ability tweaks. I don't forsee it to be much of a problem; the statement was ultimately meant to encourage folks to apply with lower-tier classes if they are passionate about playing them.

I edited the statement in order to get that across in, what I believe, is a less dramatic manner.
I am very, very relieved by this answer. Thank you.

Now I have just to force myself to break rule number 6: never apply to a game below ECL 6