Old Feb 1 '12, 8:38pm
Obscured Rune

Recovery recruitment.

The Valley of the Dying Things - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: Feb 14 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 1

The Valley of the Dying Things

This game started near December. It has been a slow with Holidays and new years, and unfortunately some player attrition. I am currently looking for one new player character. The player I am replace was new to play by post, and decided that the medium just wasn't for them. Here is the old recruitment thread.

So far, the party has gathered information on the nature of the plague, accepted a dying man's riddle, learned of Empire deserters, and navigated some bureaucracy. The ground work is laid, and the action is ready to start!

The information included in the above link is still relevant for character building. Feel free to include a background bonus and character theme. As of yet, we have not had a combat. I estimate there will be a level up near March.

Another player is currently lost in time and space. If they do not return soon, I may accept a second application. I will decide in roughly 10-14 days.

Thank you!

Quote:
Skylark Valley is in dire need of hope and restoration. After being bountiful and prosperous for many seasons, pestilence and rot have come unto the valley. The water burns, people wither away, and desperation gnaws on hope. Bandits and goblins come from the mountains to prey upon refugees, and the dead rise to feed on the living.

By Empire Order, the entrances to Skylark Valley have been sealed, the populace quarantined until the cause of this curse has been found. Shortly before that decree, they sent an 'well-equipped team of contracted investigators', to document the extent and specific source of Skylark Valley's plague, and if possible, to restore the valley to life.

The Scenario
The original The Valley of the Dying Things is scripted and owned by Jeff Vogel, who uses it in his Avernum and Exile series of games. I mean no disrespect to the man or his works. There is significant revision and story alteration, and i use the source material for inspiration.

The Setting
This game will take place entirely within Skylark Valley. Most will feel it is similar to a 'Points of Light' setting. For those interested in the world beyond the valley's high cliff walls, I invite you to create and design. For those looking for more information, please visit the World Book.

Game Description:

Run by Glyphic, A (borrowed) homebrew setting. To check out the 'proper' Exile games, Head over to spidweb.com. Highest esteem to Jeff Vogel.

A plague has come over Skylark Vale. The once fertile region, known for it's rich iron deposits and abundant farmland, has withered. The crops are twisted and scraggly, and even the iron brittles. The valley's water burns. Bandits, crooks, and thieves prey upon those fleeing the valley. Those who remain face a grim future of pestilence and poverty.

The concerned citizens of Skylark Valley and Commander Terrance has made special provision to summon you, concerned citizens or recruits from afar, to find the source of this plague, and if possible, end it, before the whole valley turns to dust.

Last edited by Glyphic; Feb 1 '12 at 8:43pm..
Interested. How do you want us to apply as such?

There are two new threads in the main forum of the game. One is for a rough draft, the other for a finished application. I should note that currently we have a Thaneborne Barbarian, an archery ranger, and a paladin.

I loved playing the exile games!!!! I would totally be up for this. I havent read everything yet but I totally.intend to.

I would have sworn I applied for this the first time 'round ... Ah, well. I'll correct that oversight this time.

I wouldn't mind whipping up another app for this one. Since I last applied and had to pull out due to game-load, I've had a couple games crash. It looks like you've got two strikers and a defender--are you looking for a leader and controller, or does it not matter too much?

I'd probably go with an artificer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasosir View Post
I wouldn't mind whipping up another app for this one. Since I last applied and had to pull out due to game-load, I've had a couple games crash. It looks like you've got two strikers and a defender--are you looking for a leader and controller, or does it not matter too much?

I'd probably go with an artificer...
The player who dropped was a Striker with controller tendencies, so a Controller or Striker/Controller would fit. The player who is MIA is our Leader (Cleric) who seemed to also lean Controller, but I don't think we're replacing them just yet as Glyphic mentioned above.