Issue Three: I (heart) NY

Issue Three: I (heart) NY

April 16, 1999, morning.
The muffled hum of the QuinJet's engine make for a much more audibly comfortable journey than you would have expected from a craft of its size.
You headed out early this morning, Bova getting up early to prepare breakfast (which you ended up packing up and bringing along), as well as boxed lunches, even though you will probably be in New York before noon.
EnergyStar shot off a quick message to Doctor Pym indicating they would be on their way shortly, who would be coming with them, and an approximate ETA.
The resident "mad-scientist" with the white hair from the lab showed up shortly before departure, dressed in a football uniform and looking like an overaged high-school jock, complete with a pile of textbooks under one arm and a football and helmet in his opposite hand. Actually, now that you see him in something other than an oversized lab coat, he seems to be in pretty good shape for his apparent age. He hands the books, several texts on Physics, to Beorn. "Here's some reading material from our library for your trip. I thought you might find these interesting." Casually flipping through the pages, Beorn notes that there are numerous annotations written in the margins, possibly the work of the old man himself. He turns to address some of the other heroes and says, "You kids take care of yourself and don't do anything foolish!" He then forces the football helmet onto his head and leaves.
Marlo and the rest of the "support staff" were there to see you off, all stading in an orderly line and wearing their Avengers-logo'd jackets as if to imply "don't worry, everything will be in good hands while you're away". Even Gamble showed up just as you were getting on board to leave, wearing an Avengers jacket (you've never seen him do that before) and casting a quick wave in your direction with a smile (or was that a smirk?) on his face.
Cap spoke to Jim, Rad, and Pulsar about their run through of the danger room. Overall, those who watched the battle from the safety of the control booth were pretty impressed with Rad's mixture of Weather Control and Speed-based attacks, as well as Jim and Pulsar's defensive ability and resistance to certain attack forms. Cap and EnergyStar are very interested in studying Pulsar's vibrational conversion ability in more depth in the future, as they both see great potential in it for different applications of the power.
Unfortunately, Cap informs Jim and Pulsar, the limits of what can be produced by the danger room may not be sufficient to adequately test their powers, so he'll have to see what he can do to account for that if you use the room in the future.
Cap is pretty conversational during the trip (which is primarily being run by auto-pilot) and will ask Jim and Pulsar how long they've known each other, their backgrounds, etc. He will ask Beorn how long he's known Ray (The Bum). If anyone inquires as to why Ray is always referred to as "The Bum", Cap will smile and explain that they first met Ray when another hero, The Mystic Spiral, who was an alien, first appeared to them and joined the team. Ray was his constant sidekick and "spiritual advisor" upon Spiral's arrival on our planet and due to some initial misunderstanding of language and expression when the two of them first met, The Mystic Spiral always refferd to his partner as "Ray The Bum" as if that was his true name.
You are currently flying towards the east and are over the finger lakes region of the state. You are all amused (except possibly for Jim) at how everyone presses their face to the QuinJet's glass windows to get a good view of the lakes withe several "Ooohh...pretty..." comments being made as you look down on the region.
You have some time before you get to NYC. Any topics for discussion?

Radical Warrior

Rad turns to pulsar.
"Hey, Pulsar. Was I correct in seeing you absorb and convert energy into a sonic weapon?? I was thinking. We should test in the danger room sometime and see what happens if I intentionally strike you with some of my summoned lightning?? Maybe we can boost your effects in a pinch.Or just recharge you if no energy source exists. It could be dangerous."

Energystar is very quiet on the ride. She paces the the length of the plane and often checks on the controls. She keeps her eyes mostly out the windows. She doesn't even join the others in catching a glimpse of the Finger Lakes. She seems on edge as she is constantly checking her watch.

She hears Rad talk about his idea. She stops a momment and looks like she is going to say something when a bit of turbulance startles her and she runs to the windows and starts looking all around then goes to the other side and looks out.

OOCI am back. I still have a little bit of work to do but feel that this will not deter me from posting any longer.

Beorn busies himself during the flight by donning a starched white apron and moving about the cabin serving coffe and soft drinks to the heroes. The apron in marked contrast to his shabby clothes but he does a passable job of playing steward.

In response to Cap's question, Beorn gives him a piercing look from under his shaggy eyebrows and wonders Oh god. That one is on to me. Why is he asking me these questions? "Ummm... a couple of weeks, maybe? I haven't been in Buffalo long, you know? I .. what's the word .. drift? I'm a drifter. The life of the road and all that." In his nervousness he actually attempts a curtsy while handing Cap a coffee and slops some on his nice uniform.

After that fiasco, Beorn seeks some solitude to peruse the books he's been given. Every once in a while he lets out a snort of disbelief and then his brow wrinkles and he continues. This makes no sense at all. How can energy flow that way without... well, I knew it was different here.

Well, basically, I've known Jim here pretty much since he was first created. What, was it only 2 years ago Jim? I was working for a secretive ultra-tech firm in the battlesuit division, but I had a hand in Jim's basic design and whatnot. After some ethical disputes, the firm and I parted on ... less than amiable terms ...smoking rubble... and since then we've been kind of on the run. It was a lucky break for us that we ran into you guys.

The suit's main ability is the conversion of any high-energy source into vibration. So yea, Rad, you could hit me with a few lighting bolts before we go into battle, no problem. I wouldn't recommend in on this jet, though. Plays havoc with the avionics, I'd imagine. I really don't know the upper limit to how much energy I can store at one time, hopefully we won't have to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackNslash (Radical Warrior)
Rad turns to pulsar.
"Hey, Pulsar. Was I correct in seeing you absorb and convert energy into a sonic weapon?? I was thinking. We should test in the danger room sometime and see what happens if I intentionally strike you with some of my summoned lightning?? Maybe we can boost your effects in a pinch.Or just recharge you if no energy source exists. It could be dangerous."
Cap interjects “That sounds like a great idea, Rad, but we’d definitely need to know the upper limit of Pulsar’s conversion ability first, as well as how long he is capable of safely storing the built up energy-for.” This seemed to be a compliment directed towards Rad’s thinking at first, but ended up coming across a little like ”Remember what happened when you hit your friends with lightning? That’s why you can’t have nice things.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Ji (Pulsar)
Well, basically, I've known Jim here pretty much since he was first created. What, was it only 2 years ago Jim? I was working for a secretive ultra-tech firm in the battlesuit division, but I had a hand in Jim's basic design and whatnot. After some ethical disputes, the firm and I parted on ... less than amiable terms ...smoking rubble... and since then we've been kind of on the run. It was a lucky break for us that we ran into you guys.
”You didn’t happen to work for Stark Industries, did you?”, Cap asks. ”Were the ethical issues anything…well…potentially criminal? I mean, anything you think that warrants further investigation? We’ve had potential issues with other high-tech corporations in the past, that’s why I ask.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag (Beorn)
In response to Cap's question, Beorn gives him a piercing look from under his shaggy eyebrows and wonders Oh god. That one is on to me. Why is he asking me these questions? "Ummm... a couple of weeks, maybe? I haven't been in Buffalo long, you know? I .. what's the word .. drift? I'm a drifter. The life of the road and all that." In his nervousness he actually attempts a curtsy while handing Cap a coffee and slops some on his nice uniform.
Cap either doesn’t notice the splash of coffee on his suit or is being extremely polite. Either way, it saved you from a little embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag (Beorn)
After that fiasco, Beorn seeks some solitude to peruse the books he's been given. Every once in a while he lets out a snort of disbelief and then his brow wrinkles and he continues. This makes no sense at all. How can energy flow that way without... well, I knew it was different here.
The math all makes sense to you, even if the theories and the approach seem a little…well…alien. If you approach it like taking a new Physics class, you should be able to pick the stuff up eventually…maybe…hopefully…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila (EnergyStar)
Energystar is very quiet on the ride. She paces the the length of the plane and often checks on the controls. She keeps her eyes mostly out the windows. She doesn't even join the others in catching a glimpse of the Finger Lakes. She seems on edge as she is constantly checking her watch.
She hears Rad talk about his idea. She stops a moment and looks like she is going to say something when a bit of turbulence startles her and she runs to the windows and starts looking all around then goes to the other side and looks out.
EnergyStar’s tension is countered by Cap’s laid back nature. He seems to enjoy drawing the others into conversation and sharing some stories about past exploits, as well as talking about everyone’s powers and their potential uses. He doesn’t seem so high-strung as EnergyStar does, but they seem to have a measured level of respect for each other’s actions and intentions.
Speaking of Cap, EnergyStar looks around the cabin and does a quick head count. Cap’s gone. He was here just an instant ago. Where the h@ll could he have gone? Was he “taken”, too?

"NO!" She runs to the windows, looks outside to see if there is anything outside. She looks at the others, "Where did he go!?! Where the h@ll did he go? Did you see him? NOOOOO! Not him!"

She crumbles to the floor devestated. Weeping. Do Superheros REALLY act like this?!?

The privy door opens and every head in the cabin turns to see Cap walk out, rubbing his chest with a wet towel before tossing it into a garbage container.
"What?", he asks, seeing everyone's attention focuses on him. "I was just trying to get this stain off my uniform. I must have spilt some coffee on it."*
Cap follows the crowd's gaze as everyone's attention shifts back to EnergyStar, who is still sitting on the floor, looking up at Cap and the others.
"Did I miss something?", he asks.
* See Panel...err...Post 4, above.

Obviously embarassed, Energystar picks herself up, her crimson face a testament to her feeling of akwardness. She turns and goes into the cockpit and closes the door.

Radical Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila View Post
Obviously embarassed, Energystar picks herself up, her crimson face a testament to her feeling of akwardness. She turns and goes into the cockpit and closes the door.
clears his throat with an "ahem"
"Well that was awkward.Hey? Does anyone know why Doc Oc crossed the road??"

after a few odd glances he throws out the lame punchline.

"Well because Spiderman webbed him to that crazy chicken."

Rad appears to be the only one amused.

"If you liked that one, I can whip up a few more?"