Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Movies of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
heh, you might be right there. It was on my list of fun things to watch. It's the kind of list you need to have when enjoying the great British summer .

I always liked the original and the trailers didnt look too bad so was vaguely looking forward to it. Now I'm back to being undecided.
Personally I'd rather save my money for something like The Hobbit, or even Brave. Wreck-It Ralph also looks awesome.

Argo looks like it could be great. Based on a true story of a fake movie during the Iran hostage crisis... which is just an absolute amazing time in U.S history, but I'm biased there... plus, I have been impressed by Ben Affleck's work behind the camera so far.

Oh, and Bryan Cranston.

Added, just found this: Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" part one! Yes!

Is anyone else watching out for Cloud Atlas by the Wachowski's? It looks pretty epic and they've kept remarkably quiet about the whole thing until just recently. It comes out in October (which seems like its just around the corner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndl View Post
Is anyone else watching out for Cloud Atlas by the Wachowski's? It looks pretty epic and they've kept remarkably quiet about the whole thing until just recently. It comes out in October (which seems like its just around the corner).
I've been pretty "meh" about the Wachowskis ever since the second and third Matrix films...

Edit: Woo, more Batman! Although I don't think anything will surpass Mark Hamill as the Joker in the 90s animations.

Quote:
Hadnt ever heard of the book and I'm so very confused after watching the trailer. If anything it looks like a stranger version of The Fountain and that was hard enough to follow! Looks like a film I'll need to be in the right mood to watch but there's potential for me to love it.

My gathering from the trailer and a few discussions I've read are that its a story about soul mates (possibly reincarnation). Those people you meet and you just KNOW you've known them before in a previous life. That life is cyclical and nothing (not even time) can keep some souls apart. The Wachowski's have always had a different way of telling their stories, and its usually a deep, multi-layered story at that. I'm looking forward to it!

It might be just me. But I am super stoked for the new Red Dawn movie coming out in November. Anyones else excited to see this? Or am I alone? I watched the trailer, the setting and plot is just done perfectly for our times now. The cast picked, is done incredibly well. Though I know there is a lot of hate out there for it. But I think it will be better then the first. A lot more plausible too.

I saw the Total Recall remake. Much better then the first and a lot more like Philip K Dick's short story the movie was based on. Now there was never a book called Total Recall or anything like it. Just an idea and setting similar to it, in which Dick wrote about the event of the main character's (Arnold/Douche Farrel) mind warping journey. Plus Bryan Cranston is fablous in whatever he does. Now I hate Colin Farrel. He just ruins everything by existing in it. But I enjoyed this movie, despite his performance in it.

I have a fondness in my heart for the original Red Dawn. I'm wary of the new movie coming out, but I'll probably rent it eventually.

Quote:
My gathering from the trailer and a few discussions I've read are that its a story about soul mates (possibly reincarnation). Those people you meet and you just KNOW you've known them before in a previous life. That life is cyclical and nothing (not even time) can keep some souls apart. The Wachowski's have always had a different way of telling their stories, and its usually a deep, multi-layered story at that. I'm looking forward to it!
From my recollection of the book it's not about soul mates so much as a single soul viewed in different reincarnations and eras. There are hints of romance in each narrative but only one character per tale is identifiably related to any of the others. It's a layered book and . . well, screw it, I'll just rip from wiki for this one because I suspect I'll fumble through it otherwise and I'd prefer not to trip over spoilers or start insertin my own narrative analysis into things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The novel consists of six nested stories that take the reader from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or observed) by the main character in the next. All stories but the last are interrupted at some moment, and after the sixth story concludes at the center of the book, the novel "goes back" in time, "closing" each story as the book progresses in terms of pages but regresses in terms of the historical period in which the action takes place. Eventually, readers end where they started, with Adam Ewing in the Pacific Ocean, circa 1850.
Structurally it's a very interesting book, and a few of the individual nested stories I found quite compelling, I'm just not sure the whole was worth the sum of it's parts. That said I read it. . . cripes, once on loan from a friend in Boston which makes it . . . six years, maybe more since I read it? And the parts of it I liked I still remember vividly. So there's something there.

I can see it working as a movie but I'm cautiously dubious in this case. I think the book is a story that can be about love but isn't a love story, if the distinction makes any sense, and the trailer I'm seeing is squarely a love story. The shift in focus might detract from it. But then again, it's a trailer so who knows what relation it has to the actual film? I look forward to seeing what they do with Somni-451's narrative because of the nested stories hers what probably the most compelling - It had this mix of personal/political/worldbuilding agendas going on that made it memorable, even years later.

Your (more accurate) interpretation, Cirlot, sounds far more compelling than mine! I'm adding the book to my must-read list and looking forward to the movie even more.