A Saga of Conflict, Intrigue and Magic

Old Feb 12 '12, 1:37pm
Elder Dungeon

A Saga of Conflict, Intrigue and Magic

Against the Demon Wolf - Forum
Ars Magica
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Welcome to Mythic Europe!

The Fall of Constantople has set off ripples throughout Europe. Kings, Archbishops and Magi alike across Europe are forced to react to this great change. Yet for Eastern Europe this is just a sign of things to come: beyond the Eastern horizon a new threat is growing - one that could swallow all of Europe with flame and steel.

Amidst these world-changing events, a group of childhood friends - all versed in the arts of magic - uncover a secret that could turn the tide of things to come. Yet they are not the only ones who know of this, and dark powers conspire against them with the fate of the Known World as the victor's prize.

Set on the Black Sea coast in the turbulent 13th Century, the saga details the lives of these powerful magi, their allies and their agents in their struggle to survive.

Applications Close 26th Feburary, 2012

Ars Magica 5th Edition
If you are new to Ars Magica, you are welcome to join the game! As long as you have the 5th edition rulebook handy, that's enough to play from. Ars Magica characters develop a lot over play - they can quickly become unrecognisable from the characters they started out as. As such, new players are welcome to use the template characters from the core rulebook. Note that the free-to-download rulebook from Atlas Games is 4th edition, not 5th.

Saga Expectations
Ars Magica by nature is a more role-play than roll-play system. The saga itself will be progressing at a reasonable pace - I am aiming for approximately 1-2 stories per game year, and I will be keeping each story fairly short.

There will be combat, but not huge amounts of it. In many cases, combat can be either avoided or swiftly resolved by the magi.

Character Notes
There are some requirements for character backgrounds. These have been outlined in more detail in the game forum, but in short the magi are all friends from childhood. All magi will be starting fresh from their apprenticeship, just starting out into a wide, scary world of magicians, faeries, demons and others.

Recruiting Notes
I have some friends who I am hoping will be joining this game; I will be giving precedence to people I know. That said, there will be room for an additional 2-3 players, with the possibility of more slots opening in future.

About Me
This is the first PbP game I've run. I've played in PbP games before, so I'm familiar with things like posting rates and how long combat can take. I have been running tabletop RPG games (Ars Magica and others) for over two decades, so I've got a rough idea of what I'm doing.

Game Description:

You are a group of young magi sworn together to see a new Covenant in the Transylvanian Tribunal rise to prominence. Yet you share bonds beyond that of a simple oath; a shared childhood experience binds you to each other, and also to a powerful adversary who seeks to destroy not just the Order of Hermes but all of Christendom.

Game post rate has recently fallen to ~3/week, but we would like to resume 5/week, with the expectation of most being 1/weekday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
Might be interested. Will have to read more when I have the free time.
Let me know if you do want in once you've read up on the saga details and I'll send a formal invite.

Have had Ars Magica awhile, but have not successfully played. Count me in if you have space available.

Hi, it's that other person you know from your rl gaming group. Mind if I play too?

Okay, the game is currently at capacity. Player invites have gone out to all players who have said they would like to join. I'm closing the ad, but will re-open it (or make a new one) if player attrition means the numbers drop back.