The Price of Good Help

Old Feb 18 '12, 11:05am
LOOK AT ME!!!! I'M A MANATAUR!!!

The Price of Good Help

The Price of Good Help - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Mar 5 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

The sun sinks lower in the sky and eventually vanishes; not below the horizon, but behind the monolith that looms over the city of Meskia. A tower that's stood for centuries, or perhaps millenia, stretches up toward the emerging stars of twilight.

Meskia is a city with little to its name. It has no major exports, isn't rich in raw materials, and doesn't sit along the coast or any major trade routes. But it has the tower. The Tower of Uruk, a massive memorial to a bygone age of ancient magic time long forgot.

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Greyfeld, and I'll be your games master. This is my first genuine foray into GMing, so I have a couple others who will be helping me out when they have the time and inclination.

This game is going to be 2 parts dungeon crawl, 1 part survival, 1 part roleplay. You'll need to be prepared for any tricks, traps, hazards, monsters, or social situations that may be thrown your way. Characters should be of at least average intellect with some non-combat utility so as not to be a burden to the rest of the group.

Also, please avoid creating characters that break the game. As I said, this is really my first time GMing, so please be gentle!

I can post at least once a day, and will attempt to maintain the same post rate when I start work next month. Players who are interested in the game should be able to post at least 3-4 times a week (preferably more during combat encounters, so we can speed things along).

All applications should go in this forum. Make a new thread for your application, and roll your character's stats somewhere in your thread. Once you're comfortable with your character, feel free to duck into the Cloak & Stagger for some ale and a little pre-game roleplay.

One last note, your characters will be starting naked. You'll get your starting gear listed on your character sheet eventually, but don't expect to use any of it right off the bat.

Game Description:

"Well? Are they contained?"
"Yes, yes! Very contained! Nilbog did his job well!!"
"I hope so. If I think for a moment that you took it easy on them, you won't see another copper from me."
"Nilbog promises! Nilbog did his best job!"
"I'll judge that for myself. Now, stop chattering and greet our guests; they're starting to wake up."

Five strangers waking up together in the same cold, dark room, with no memory of how they got there. You and four others will have to band together to get through the tricks, traps, and trials laid before you. Work as a team, and you may find your way to freedom. Break apart, and your ray of hope will disappear as you rot away for eternity.

Is it a game? Is it a test? Perhaps it's a little bit of both. Win your freedom, and you may find out for yourself.

Last edited by Greyfeld; Feb 20 '12 at 6:59pm..
I find it amusing you've got it set up for 3.5 but have it listed under 4e.

I'll be applying either way.

That's odd. I've had this forum up for a couple months and I never noticed that. I just went to the game control panel and changed it to 3.5, so after the staff review the change, it should be marked properly as a 3.5 game. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I don't usually play good characters due to the fact that I am a writer and have discovered that I write better bad people than good people. However, I have been toying with the idea in my head for some time of why that is the case. I would like to run an experiment in this game by writing a genuinely good person and see if I can pick up on what I need to do to make that character interesting for myself. I've already got an idea. It toys with the Rorscach 'uncompromising' model, the cursed monster model, and the underdog model. Those seem to be what people usually base their good characters off of, rather than naivety which is usually one of my starting points. Anywho, I'll get you an app.

posting interest, but wont get character posted until monday probably, my current idea is for a fighter character(seeing how im ALWAYS a psionic, wizard or monk...in that order haha) but he is going to be an unarmed fighter (he is a long time bar brawler) who is chaotic neutral. I intend to use the 32 PB for simplicity (as I will make my character away from any computers, and so to remove the illusion that I may cheat rolling real dice for online game) I know it seems counter intuitive to make an unarmed fighter not a monk, but hey, ima tank, my goal is not to dish out the damage so much as to take all the hits haha. (besides if your really worried, there is a good chance that I will see something in a book and change my mind) Regardless he won't be the first kick-A unarmed fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwarper10 View Post
posting interest, but wont get character posted until monday probably, my current idea is for a fighter character(seeing how im ALWAYS a psionic, wizard or monk...in that order haha) but he is going to be an unarmed fighter (he is a long time bar brawler) who is chaotic neutral. I intend to use the 32 PB for simplicity (as I will make my character away from any computers, and so to remove the illusion that I may cheat rolling real dice for online game) I know it seems counter intuitive to make an unarmed fighter not a monk, but hey, ima tank, my goal is not to dish out the damage so much as to take all the hits haha. (besides if your really worried, there is a good chance that I will see something in a book and change my mind) Regardless he won't be the first kick-A unarmed fighter.
On the contrary, unarmed fighters tend to be best suited to Unarmed Swordsages if they arent going to be trippers or grapplers. In any case, if your certain you want to go Unarmed Fighter route consider looking at the dungeon crasher fighter variant as that would probably give your build a lot more damage output and battlefield control utility. Good luck. I don't see a lot of unarmed fighter builds (or fighters in general for that matter) so I will be paying attention to your build.

A while back, I actually created a Barbarian unarmed fighter for a game. It was an interesting experiment :P