Rediscoverer of Worlds

Reavers of Harkenwold - Back to Basics

Reavers of Harkenwold - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Ad Closes: Mar 17 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Reavers of Harkenwold

The Game
I want to go back to basics - old school D&D - like we played when we were young. Young people driven by a thirst for adventure - no wild wacky races - no fancy pants backgrounds - just plain simple folk who want to be heroes.

Starting at second level, playing the adventure Reavers of Harkenwold.

The Setting
Standard Nentir Vale points of light setting, with all the characters growing up in Harkenwold. Details of the local area are in the Game Forum Background thread

The DM
Me, BornAgainGamer. I have a few years experience playing 4e on the Weave and DMing 4e face to face. This is my fourth foray into DMing with pbp. The first suffered from player drop out and fizzled out really quick, the second is coming up for 18 months old and the third has being going (two teams, two games in parallel) for about 6 months.

Character Creation
Characters will be Level 2, standard 22-point-buy, with a level 2, level 3 and level 4 magic item plus 460gp to cover non-magical and minor magical items.

Allowed Races
Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome, Half-Orc, Goliath, Half-Elf.

Classes
Any except Vampire, Artificer.

Nothing setting specific is allowed - items, feats, etc. Generic Backgrounds and Themes are allowed.
EXCEPTION - AS THERE ARE A LIMITED CHOICE OF THEMES, SETTING SPECIFIC THEMES ARE ALLOWED BUT MUST BE REFLUFFED TO FIT NENTIR VALE.

Finally, your characters must be happy, or at least not completely unhappy, to save the world from the forces of evil and chaos.

The Adventurers
I will be accepting six players. Here is the process:

Stage One
Using the format below or similar. Complete your entire application in one post in this thread - do not update in multiple posts and please also post when you believe your application is complete.

Application Format

Stage Two
There will be an rp element to the application. Characters that I believe are well crafted from players I believe will fit into the game will be invited to a second stage in-character application process in a private thread.

Above all, I am looking for players that can post regularly, typically daily and will attempt to write interesting posts both in and out of combat situations. This will be the main basis for the selection of applicants - please do your best to write interesting and grammatically stylish applications and show me evidence of your ability to commit to a pbp game.

Deadline
Stage 1 will be closing on the 17th March 12:00 GMT - midday. Stage 2 will take as long as required.

Questions
Please post any questions here in this application thread. Please - no pms - if you have private questions then post using private tags in this thread - helps me keep all the stuff in one place. And - no question is a stupid one - we are all here to learn - especially me.

Accepted Applicants

Leaders
Defenders
Strikers
Contollers
Hybrid

Completed Applications

Leaders
Mike the Mountain - Dorrin Dornogrim Dwarf Sentinel Druid - link
Ryfte - Dalia Ogden - Human Panther Shaman - link

Defenders
ArqKujos - Ral the Berserk Half Orc Fighter MC Barbarian - link
Shadeus - Rivenalis Human Paladin - link
Ballon - Geskas Dwarf Fighter - link

Strikers
wdwune - Haldore Elf Avenger MC Ranger - link
Mike the Mountain - Wik Halfling Rogue - link
Crucival - Dougan Throckmarr Half-Orc Monk (Barroom Brawler) - link
Ryfte - Kellie Tiller Halfling Storm Sorceress - link
Cyco - Arelet Longstream Human Slayer link
Intro - Aliss of Harken Half-Elf Sorceror (Elementalist) - http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthre...24#post5373924

Contollers
Taxellor - Nicodemus Half Elf Invoker - link
Azhmodai - Valdred the Green Human Ranger(Hunter) - link
pikeamus - Elaine Withywood -Human Invoker - link

Hybrid
klmurphy - Nedwin Kayfabe Gnome Bard/Wizard - link
series0 - Aidraug Mor Half-elf Warlock/Fighter - link

Incomplete Applications

Leaders
GreatGreen286 - Dargura Human Shaman - link
Glyph - Glass "Onehand" Drakehall Human Warlord - link

Defenders

Strikers

Contollers

Hybrid

Game Description:

There's no place like home. And by the sounds of the rumours flooding into the inns and taverns of Hammerfast, Harkenwold is not the place you left...

Just over a moon and a half ago, you and your friends set out, adventurers brave and bold, to seek your fortune in the ancient temples of Hammerfast. The tales of tombs filled with ancient treasures lured you away from the comforts of hearth and home and though there were dangers lurking in the crypts, you had your successes and dreams of a life of rich adventures were within your grasp.

Then the tales began. You dismissed them as the drunken ramblings of old men and dwarves at first. Brigands had taken over the Harken valley, pillaging and burning. But over the next couple of days the tales grew more solid and the first refugees began to appear at the gates of the ancient dwarven stronghold. Blood on their clothes. Woe on their faces.

After scant preparations, you travel at godspeed, the track taking you over rough hills and through remote valleys. A few days on the road finds you desperate for the first sight of the welcoming boughs of the Harken Forest that signifies the approaching moment that your footsteps will begin, once again, to tread on Harkenwold soil.

The moment arrives in the middle of the day. It's a broad, lightly settled valley between two arms of the Harken Forest. You
haven't traveled more than a mile or two into the valley before trouble appears. Rounding a bend in the road, you spy a pillar of smoke dimbing into the clear blue sky. The source, hidden by rolling hills, is roughly a mile along a dirt track that intersects the road.

Last edited by BornAgainGamer; Mar 17 '12 at 8:33pm..
Will consider a character.

I'm surprised Eladrin are out given they're your traditional magical elves, but its your campaign. Just checking its not an oversight.
What Gods are you using in this setting? (And more specifically, what do they stand for and what are their domains.)

If Eladrin are in, I have a warlord I'd love to play. If not, I've got a half-orc barbarian I'd like to try at low levels.

OK, can you change the background section to have the relevant deities in the House of Faith? (That is what prompted my question.)

Edit: I'm gonna step back and withdraw my interest. Just figure I better focus on the things I already have before I take on more. Good Luck.

Half-Elf Invoker of Ioun in progress and to come in this post. I'm interested what your stance is on characters worshipping multiple deities is as suggested in the PHBII and Divine Power.
Changed to Corelleon as it makes more sense to my mind on second thoughts.

Why Me?: Not sure of a good argument here. Does spotting the minor mistake in your background stuff count for me?
Name: Nicodemus
Race: Half Elf
Class: Invoker

FINISHED (Though Char Sheet needs shuffling of powers about.)

This sounds like another fun game, and I just happen to have another favorite character ready to come out of retirement.

Name: Valdred the Green
Race: Human
Class: Hunter (Crossbow)
Background: Bounty Hunter
Theme: Outlaw

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossbow Hunter.jpg (56.6 KB, 0 views)