Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder: Pathfinder vs D&D 3.5

Yeah.. can't have those fighters having nice things... they could try and fail to do other stuff, though. That's reasonable.

Pathfinder is fine. It is basically 3.5 with all of the same problems and a bunch of meaningless changed. So you really can play either version if you are looking for a game.

Personally I don't look to switch from 3.5 because I would need to memorize said bunch of pointless changes and because I have a personal grudge against the creators of PF.

Personal grudge? Sounds kind of interesting. I actually prefer pathfinder for the core classes and I think the changes are less meaningless and more like they ramped up the power to try and balance things some. The only thing I really don't like about the game is the lack of splat classes. But I try not to play 3.5 anymore.

They actually nerfed a bunch of stuff - the melee feat combos, thrower rogues etc

only things that got more power was casters... sorcerers get an all day blast and extra spells known, wizards get more spells etc.

Pathfinder did not balance anything. Every single flaw that was evident in 3.5 was carried over into PF.

Well, that depends on your definition of flaw. From the point of view of people who thought melee feat combos and thrower rogues were 'cheese' used by 'munchkins' because they 'hate fun', well, none of that eh.

There's plenty of differences rules-wise (imho with Pathfinder being a better game than 3.5) but for me the two main reasons to play Pathfinder over 3.5 are 1: I like Paizo and 2: I like how Paizo treats their game and customers.

@Dominicus: What happened? Did you get fired? They seem likeable to me, but I've never met them so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasspigeon View Post
There's plenty of differences rules-wise (imho with Pathfinder being a better game than 3.5) but for me the two main reasons to play Pathfinder over 3.5 are 1: I like Paizo and 2: I like how Paizo treats their game and customers.
The words "Flurry of Blows" come to mind.

I don't really see how likeable a person is has anything to do with how good a system of rules are.

I guess that just goes to prove the old truism - marketing is the most important part of creating nearly any product. Not just because without exposure no-one will know about your thing to buy it, but because people will ignore the evidence of their eyes for the evidence of what someone told them in a certain way and made them feel.