Notices

Campaign Discussion

Sorry to be a pain...

Just for more clarification. The paragraph (below) on page 71 of Alpha Dawn, I assume, has been superseded by the linguist PSA? Thanks for clarification, just trying to read up a little bit more on my aspect of the character in regards to the first mission.

Learning New Languages. At the start of the
game, all player characters speak their native
language and Pan Galactic. Learning a new language
is like learning a new skill. Each level costs 3
experience points. At level 1, a character will
understand about half of what anyone says in that
language, and has a 50% chance to make someone
else understand what he says. This increases 10%
at each level above 1.

I think I can answer that -- yes that has been replaced for the rules considering PSA and the Linguist PSA

HOWEVER

He stated in reply to an earlier post I made that since everyone knows how to speak Pan-Galactic that he is not bothering with native languages in this game -- which I basically took as making the Linguist PSA nigh-to-useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoker View Post
I think I can answer that -- yes that has been replaced for the rules considering PSA and the Linguist PSA

HOWEVER

He stated in reply to an earlier post I made that since everyone knows how to speak Pan-Galactic that he is not bothering with native languages in this game -- which I basically took as making the Linguist PSA nigh-to-useless
Thank you for the response, my understanding of his post was that he has mentioned that basically everyone speaks Pan-Galactic so knowing all individual languages isn't required... but, lets say someone wanted to say something we shouldn't hear or understand, they could speak in a language we don't have in the group and it would be unintelligible to us. Thus the reason I took the Linguist PSA (in addition, in case we encounter aliens, perhaps learn their language given time).

If my thought process is off, let me know, I may want (if allowed) to change one of my PSA's if Linguist is really that useless for me.

Okay I am taking off 300 creds. Dejoker add that Sonic Sword to your character.
-Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeo2002 View Post
If my thought process is off, let me know, I may want (if allowed) to change one of my PSA's if Linguist is really that useless for me.
Well if they go and do that I am going to want to know what my "native" tongue is then, and probably might be interested in learning one or two others (granted can't do that at creation time no option for that). Of course if they do not I will perfectly understand. Coming up with a myriad of languages to represent all the languages spoken in a galactic setting is rather daunting and extremely unnecessary unless you plan on exploring that element within the game itself -- or have immense amount of free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoker View Post
Well if they go and do that I am going to want to know what my "native" tongue is then, and probably might be interested in learning one or two others (granted can't do that at creation time no option for that). Of course if they do not I will perfectly understand. Coming up with a myriad of languages to represent all the languages spoken in a galactic setting is rather daunting and extremely unnecessary unless you plan on exploring that element within the game itself -- or have immense amount of free time.
I'm guessing they are race specific, though the 4 main races can all speak Pan Galactic. I'll await further word, those are just my assumptions on how I would play and/or what I have commonly seen in other types of games.

I will be posting tomorrow. I table topped for 9 hours today and am not into doing a detailed post at the moment. Plus I got to follow up Dejoker *groans*
-Shane

On the language issue, I regret that I didn't clarify this point. You are both half-right. The linguist PSA supersedes page 71 of AD. I am not ignoring native languages per se, it just won't come up among the PCs, nor any of the NPCs you are likely to encounter in civilized areas as everyone speaks Pan-Galactic. However, when encountering non-PC aliens, deciphering ancient languages, etc. it will definitely be useful. Note that I did not recommend a change in PSA, having seen the Linguist as a selected option. Anything could be useful...

I'm comfortable with each race having multiple native languages, just as there are thousands of languages on Earth today. I am just not likely to use that aspect of Linguist for anything more than color.

Keep in mind regarding equipment: I'm not automatically dis-allowing equipment from the Frontiersman or Zebulon's lists; I just want to clear those first as some are not appropriate for this game. The body comp and file comp are good examples: the former is not approved, the latter is. The more innocuous something is, like the plasti-poncho, the more likely it is to be approved. As for GSS issuing something, that comes down to: 1) justification of need for the mission; 2) expense involved; and 3) difficulty of acquiring it within time contraints, to include relative high tech.

Well Madhatter I went back and fixed my post -- next time I guess I will let you post first :-)

Oh and btw that is not the only reason Ice drops by the shop, he drops by to get vehicles worked on, and he even just drops by to hang out from time to time. BTW what kind of beverages and snacks do you keep in that shop anyway?

What is wrong I posted after you. I don't believe I screwed anything up. Did I miss something?
I know you drop by for more reasons I was just making fun of you from my characters persepctives and think hot pockets and cherry pepsi and popsicals and apples for snacks.
-Shane